• Advertisement

August 2017 - What Did YOU Do To Prep this Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

August 2017 - What Did YOU Do To Prep this Week/Month?

Postby IceFire » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Since no one has started this for August, I guess I will.

Added to my "retirement" fund.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: August 2017 - What Did YOU Do To Prep this Week/Month?

Postby Genevieve » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:23 am

Drying more herbs. Also freezing more in olive oil or water to add when cooking.
Drying the mints and lemon and bee balm for teas. The horehound for making cough drops or teas
BLOG LINK ORDERED REMOVED

apparently I have a "potty" mouth. I'm rolling my eyes at that. What are we 6 years old? Or are we in kindergarten? geesh
Genevieve
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby jimLE » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:55 am

gonna go into town later on today.in which i'll be buying canning jars and other items.then pay some bills..
jimLE

Postby NJMike » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:33 am

Bit early in the week/month for much progress here.

Found in house cleaning yet another copy of Ball Book of Preserving to add to my collection. I must have a dozen versions of that book.

Two AGM batteries arrived yesterday for my small solar test project. I already had a panel, charge controller and inverter. I have to get some battery cables now for connecting them in parallel. This is just for charging radio batteries and similar small electronics.

Picking up a crossbow hard case tonight for a good price. Might get me motivated to get in some range time before the summer is over.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:47 am

Mike, my canning experience is limited but I've been told to keep only the newest copy of The Ball Blue Book as methods change.

I'm sure others have far more experience.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby NJMike » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:12 pm

Yes, I agree. In terms of process, generally it comes down to how many minutes of processing time and head space in the jars. If there's ever a discrepancy I would defer to the newer edition's guidance.

I collect the different issue years because like any cookbook there's going to be some issue to issue changes in the recipe varieties in order to justify a printing. For my purposes it's just an opportunity to collect a wider variety of canning recipes. :)
NJMike

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Main preps have been health... Cant do anyone any good if you cant even take care of yourself as best as possible.

Down from 235lbs to 201... I'm 5' 11" so things are shaping up nicely now(or smoothing based on your point of view. ;) )

Also refining my bread baking skills even more.....I've got the 18-22 hr Poolish and Levains down now...They are AMAZING so I'm told.(and tend to agree.) Round loafs in Cast Iron, braided loafs, croissants, etc...

Still working on refining my Levain from scratch methods... fun stuff. :thumbup:
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby IceFire » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Got contacted by a recruiter for another IT company today. Since I've gotten fed up with the micromanagement I've been dealing with lately, I responded that I was interested, and sent them an updated resume (the one they had was a few years old.) Now, I'll just wait to see if they have something I'm interested in...
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby LetsPrep11 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:04 pm

Driven: Wow, congratulations of the weight loss! That's quite an accomplishment.

Ice: Will keep our fingers crossed on the possible job change. Being micromanaged bites, big time!

Younger son just received the car emergency bag I sent. It's loaded with everything he'll need to survive a 72 hour/40+ mile walk home from work. Now if he'll only actually look at it then put it in the car. Wonder if I should tell him about the secret stash of cash in the kit? ;)
LetsPrep11

Postby jimLE » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:30 pm

id keep quit about the stash of money,just to see if he finds it,on his own.. :rolleyes:

just got home with 4 more rechargeable D batteries..
jimLE

Postby Illini Warrior » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:55 pm

just picked a few bargains at the garage sales .... 3 new pairs of US military issue boots - $8 .... dozen jelly jars - $1.50 .... #9 Griswold stew pot that needs a brazing repair - $3 .....

working on my whole house DIY generating unit - prepping it up for running it covertly in the garage - installing an automobile muffler and running the exhaust out the roof ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby 3ADScout » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Picked 450 rounds of 5.56mm at Field & Stream since it was a decent price (had a rebate too). As with all my .223 and 5.56 I put in on stripper clips and then in bandoleers. One of the local gun shops has an area for miscellaneous magazines, scopes, holsters etc, mostly that come along with trade ins. Found a brand new Rugar SR22 mag for $20.

Today I polished the wood burner at the BOL, cleaned 2 sharpening stone that I paid $1 each for (very good made in America stones) they came out very nice. Then I started cleaning rust off of my collect of hand brace/auger bits. Used vinager and steel wool. Most are done but I do have a few that I will have to work on some more. Made a list of items that I need out at the BOL, cream of tartar (to polish aluminum), Rid-X for the septic (had it cleaned out so thought I better add some to the tank), baking soda, vinegar, and turpentine. Could have sworn I had turpentine but I think I bought more line seed oil instead since I have 6 cans of it!!
3ADScout

Postby stonyman002 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Scored at an estate sale today.

one of those where they open the door and are selling everything in the house. This one was being run by the grandson. While I was in the back porch I noticed a small metal building in the cornor of the back yard all rusted out and the roof caved in. I ask the grandson if there was anything in the back shed? He said he didn't know but we could go look. The first thing we saw was a 4 foot black snake and that city boy about crapped his pants. He said if I wanted anything from that building I had to dig it out my self. I was looking at that stack of mason jar boxes against the back wall and said I'll give you 20.00 for everything in the shed and that way you don't have to deal with the snakes. He said deal... I handed him the money and went to pull my van around back.

22 boxes of jars. pints, quarts and half gallons.
16 Pisces of cast iron. dutch ovens, skillets and griddles.
2 large pressure cookers
a couple of boxes of old kitchen stuff
and other assorted treasures. well treasures to me but to the grandson just a bunch more junk LOL.
stonyman002

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:32 am

stonyman002 wrote:Scored at an estate sale today.

2 large pressure cookers
and other assorted treasures. well treasures to me but to the grandson just a bunch more junk LOL.

Stoneyman002- wow you did score big time- you should have taken the snakes too! I can't stand snakes - I think it is from the story of Adam and Eve- but they sure do a good job keeping the mice population in check.
3ADScout

Postby Illini Warrior » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 am

stonyman002 wrote:Scored at an estate sale today.

one of those where they open the door and are selling everything in the house. This one was being run by the grandson. While I was in the back porch I noticed a small metal building in the cornor of the back yard all rusted out and the roof caved in. I ask the grandson if there was anything in the back shed? He said he didn't know but we could go look. The first thing we saw was a 4 foot black snake and that city boy about crapped his pants. He said if I wanted anything from that building I had to dig it out my self. I was looking at that stack of mason jar boxes against the back wall and said I'll give you 20.00 for everything in the shed and that way you don't have to deal with the snakes. He said deal... I handed him the money and went to pull my van around back.

2 large pressure cookers

I just luv those types of sales - the relatives that don't don't give a crap or don't know crap .... got an entire garage to clean out late last year - Dad died and the family came in for one afternoon to clean up the place - it was a good thing my place was in the neighborhood - that was a load to move ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion