• Advertisement

December2017 - What Did You Do to Prep This Week?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: December2017 - What Did You Do to Prep This Week?

Postby IceFire » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:03 pm

The not-so-temporary chicken coop is FINISHED! We got the wire up over the frame over the top, and got it wired to the supports, and wired down at the edges. Then, husband made the ramp and attached it, we put in the dividers for the nest boxes (4 REALLY roomy nest boxes) and I got the chopped straw in the nest boxes and the main coop area. After that, daughter and I caught chickens, and hauled them to their new digs in a dog kennel....5 at a time. Hens first, and then the roos. The only two we haven't moved yet are the two that are in a separate coop/run...they will have separate digs in the new location, too...at least for a while, since they don't get along with the other boys. We plan on moving them tomorrow. Anyway, the chickens are settling in to their new digs, and seem to really like the extra room. While the run area is the same size, it's a bigger coop, and is up high enough that they can get under it easily (as well as plenty of room on TOP, as well, so they actually have more usable square footage.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:27 pm

ForwardPreppers wrote:
Currently keeping a close eye on this North Korea thing. We live in a military practice fly zone and they have been up constantly since the last missile was launched by NK. Sometimes 12-13 hours a day. Saw a refueling tanker just Tuesday, something we have never seen out here in the 5 years we have had this property.

Mrs FP

We were getting military helecopters flying over most days until about 4 months ago. They since have stopped except for one that passed over so low last week at nighttime that the whole house was vibrating. Probably one of those twin rotor cargo helecopters they usually fly. Hope they don't do that again.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby John Galt 1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:50 pm

Preps the last month.... not much since we were pretty well stocked up and then we topped off last fall with the NK situation. Plenty of wood and propane. My work has kept me very busy but it's about to slow down so maybe I can do a little more.

I did do some extra maintance on the battery cables for the RE system, does that count? 16 batteries have a lot of cables...

Oh yea,,,,, just remembered, I got kicked off a different "prepper site" last month where I had been for years. Guess my deodorant wasn't hacking it. But that site had become very political and negative the last 2 years so perhaps being gone from it counts as a prep. This site is much less a social club and more serious about preparing "just in case".
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby ajax727 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:17 am

We have been using up some of our food stocks because they were getting a little old and out of date but we will restock them after the first of the year . The out of date food was still good and tasted ok .
Went to an auction yesterday it was a all day event there was the usual items but I was there for the rifles shotguns and sliver . I did not get no guns they went off to high but the sliver items I did pick up , ended up with sliver candle holders ,cups and serving trays and coins . I teamed up with a good friend and we worked together on the sliver items . The coins were Morgan's I was all smiles I won the bid on the coins at twenty dollars ( with a 10 % added and sale tax ) (no one bid against me each) I bought all of them he got half of them . We each got a CC mint marks and a few P and a few S . The cc are rare and hard to find if they grade better than 55 or higher and these should I may end up selling them to a friend if the price is right he is a collector .
To see things as they are not as they want you to see them .. With the stroke of a pen all you rights and freedom can end ...
ajax727

Postby IceFire » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Couldn't get on the last 3 days, so couldn't update...Got the last 2 roosters and their coop/run moved over next to the rest of the flock.

Also got another 100 pounds of oats...prepping against 2000 pounds of cranky mares if they don't get their oats!
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Cin » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:01 am

We've cooked, dehydrated, and vacuum-sealed about 10 pounds of hamburger so far, we'll be doing more to have more space in the freezer.

The kids have asked for homemade presents this year, Husband and I are working together to get a few done - one kid wants some of the historic family photos in frames, so we've both been combing our photo archives to comply with the request. I have decided my next year's project will be to further archive photos both digitally and physically, as needed. We've traveled the world, and taken lots of pictures, but really need to get them more organized.

Posted this on Dec 11 - in the wrong thread! :shock:

I spent part of yesterday cleaning up the old roofing garbage (we agreed to haul it away to save costs).

Today, a friend gave me 100 pounds of beef - they'd butchered two cows last year, and since it's now just the two of them, they simply can't eat all the meat. They gave part of it to me so it wouldn't go to waste! :D Thank heavens I cleaned out the freezer last week for the 50 pounds of pork we got from our niece (split a pig).

Dehydrated some ginger and will put it in pretty jars for presents - one kid asked for this as a gift. This kid spends time overseas so tummy issues are common, and the kid also just loves the taste of ginger, so having it readily available without having to buy a whole root is economical. (I gave the kid some during the family visit in summer as a sample).

Also did some Christmas sewing, a small table runner gift for someone who does a lot for me. :)
Cin

Postby woodchipper518 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Met with local folks to configure our Ham radios and talk next steps in creating our own net. Went LDS and bought more long term food. Headed back out to the range for shooting practice.

Kinda lost my mojo.
Is today really SHTF day? Good thing I quit drinking and smoking yesterday. Keep Calm and Reload.
Kilo Golf Five Quebec Papa Romeo (KG5QPR)
woodchipper518
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Location: North Texas - Denton County / Collin County line / 380 corridor

Postby IceFire » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Made arrangements with a fellow member of my church (who also lives just down the road a bit) for him to do the repair work on my cast iron/enamelware woodburning cookstove. It needs the oven box rebuilt, (the oven box is pretty much rusted out, but the rest is good, so it's salvageable, so will be usable) so he came out this evening to take a look at it, get measurements, etc. The price he quoted me (dependent on how many hours it takes, of course) is less than I was willing to go, so if it takes a little longer than he expects, it's still good.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:55 pm

Not for us, but son is moving back home, will be in New York.

They have their house we are in the process of closing on. Hubs is sending a generator up with him when he goes. He
is also fixing a valve in a truck its a 98 Dodge 4 X 4 2500 with 70k miles on it. He is equipping it with a snow plow
for him, we had it but hubs thinks it will be of more use for him. They are also talking about getting a freezer and buying
a 1/4 to 1/2 a cow and she is wanting a dehydrator and to can. We are also sending some guns with him.

He is no fool either and being affiliated with the military and on the front lines with N Korea knows what can happen. He
will likely prep more then us. However, they are going to be close to the town and the base so things more readily
available. He wanted way out on 30 acres but the property tax situation up there I think would eat him alive. The
other part is the winter weather is harsh and would have been a long commute to work, they got an acre and a half.

Will be good to have him home, first time he has lived in the states for almost 20 years.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby rickdun » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:04 pm

Replaced my life straws with sawyers in bug out bags and get home bags, I had 7 of them stored away.

Replaced a bunch of OTC meds that expired 2 years ago.

Dunham's had .22 shells on sale last week, picked up 4-500 round boxes.

Fired up the old cook stove and the wife baked 2 loaves of bread. This is the first time we really used the oven on the cook stove. Bread came out OK but the wife had to baby sit it while it baked so it wouldn't over cook or burn. I'm going to have to replace the thermostat on it as the original one isn't working right. It is an art learning how to bake on one of these, cooking on the burners isn't bad.

If anybody has any tips that can help baking on these, let me know, any help is appreciated.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby anita » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Renovation work is continuing on my new (to me) house, so I am not getting much else done. I did get some water bricks and have half of them filled and taken to the basement.

Got new filters for my Berkey. I tossed the others when I moved. Haven't set it up, as renovations will start in the kitchen in a couple of months, but at least I have everything I need should I have to use it.

The line to the refrig icemaker leaked this week. Fortunately it was caught before too much damage was done (although I now have a big hole cut into the basement carpet and that will have to be replaced.) So I purchased a number of leak detectors and have some of them in place. Got enough to put them under the sinks once the bathrooms are completed.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby Cin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 am

It's raining today so we cannot take our 2 mile walk (the dogs get too muddy on our dirt road).

Husband is systematically cooking, dehydrating, and vacuum sealing a lot of the hamburger we were given.

I am dehydrating ginger, and also, the oranges that didn't ripen on the tree (it's too cold here to get full ripening, a greenhouse for the tropical plants is part of future plans). I sliced the green oranges and will use them in my homemade potpourris that I give out at Christmas.

Basic Potpourri - place in a pretty goodie bag and tie with a bow - usually available in the party or craft section of Walmart:

2 dehydrated orange slices
2 dehydrated apple slices
2 slices dehydrated ginger
1/4 piece of vanilla bean
1 cinnamon stick
10 whole cloves
1 teaspoon each - allspice/nutmeg

Add a tag with these instructions:

Place 2 cups water in a microwaveable bowl, add the potpourri, and microwave for 10 minutes. Can be used twice.

You can add other fragrant spices, if you choose.

I made these and gave each person one bag - every single person loved it so much, they asked if I had more!

I also broke down and bought a 60 degree ruler for some of my quilt projects. Even though I have lines on my big ruler, the smaller ruler will just make things easier. :)
Cin

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:35 pm

This week hubs and I used the Polaris to drag some trees away from our house that had been cut to facilitate more sun exposure for the solar panels. We took the long logs with no branches to a couple areas where we thought we may use them with security in the future to fortify an area or use as a blockade type structure.

The chickens are doing it to it with eggs with a new high of 9 yesterday. I am amazed how quickly they add up! Starting to have more than we can consume and looking to share the bounty with friends. I love sharing eggs though so it's a win!

Got hubs a Craftsman tool box for his birthday/Christmas gift and he was thrilled. It's the stand up style on wheels - something he's wanted for some time.

That's all for now as we prepare for the holiday, Merry Christmas everyone!

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Cin » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Mrs. FP - dehydrate some of those eggs. The chickens will stop laying for a bit when it gets very cold. Then you'll have eggs to tide you over until they begin again.

I am cleaning out the guest bedroom - been using it as a piling place for stuff. I've managed to get 2 bags of trash out of there - mostly of the Christmas wrapping leftovers, but some cardboard I'd thought to use later, but ended up not.

I'm also organizing it better - there are some things I really need to repair, maintain, or clean up - either to pass on to thrift shops, or get rid of via family/friend means.

I'd placed a pile of clothes, shoes, and purses that are either too big or I don't want anymore in there, too. My Mom has expressed an interest in some of it, plan to let her have a go at it - maybe she'll take it all! A mad dash before Christmas to the thrift store might be in my future. :thumbsup:

Decluttering seems never-ending! :thumbdown:
Cin

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:This week hubs and I used the Polaris to drag some trees away from our house that had been cut to facilitate more sun exposure for the solar panels. We took the long logs with no branches to a couple areas where we thought we may use them with security in the future to fortify an area or use as a blockade type structure.

The chickens are doing it to it with eggs with a new high of 9 yesterday. I am amazed how quickly they add up! Starting to have more than we can consume and looking to share the bounty with friends. I love sharing eggs though so it's a win!

Got hubs a Craftsman tool box for his birthday/Christmas gift and he was thrilled. It's the stand up style on wheels - something he's wanted for some time.

That's all for now as we prepare for the holiday, Merry Christmas everyone!

Mrs FP

before you start giving out the extra eggs or even trading them - make sure to store a reserve for yourself for those lean laying months - dozens of ways to preserve those eggs - can be as simple as chicken to kitchen counter that'll work for months .....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

PreviousNext

Return to General Preparedness Discussion