• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

December2017 - What Did You Do to Prep This Week?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

Re: December2017 - What Did You Do to Prep This Week?

Postby NJMike » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:33 am

Been doing some reading, mostly on medical topics.

Re-packed my backpack kit into a new backpack. The old one was loaded to capacity and splitting at the top. I saved it though and going to see if I can glue/seam repair it.

Did a little self-gifting- more fire starters, some mini-lanterns, a solar charging power pack, a 4-way sillcock key, and a knife. My 2018 ARRL handbook came in the mail this weekend too. That's a whole lot of reading to do.

Doing good on food storage, but I've added a few more spices, more nuts, sunflower seeds, and cacao powder.

Went to a gun show yesterday. Lots of fun stuff there, but I only picked up trioxane fuel tabs and a small diameter shaker hose.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby ForwardPreppers » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks everyone for your concern over our egg surplus! We keep 3-4 dozen for ourselves on a rotation- FIFO, first in first out method.

We also share with friends and family as we are able, never putting our own supply in danger.

Also, our weather rarely causes a slow down in production and we have never had a major molt event where they all stop laying. But of course, anything can happen.

Thanks everyone!
Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby IceFire » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Ordered a set of 3 trail cams plus viewer to keep an eye on the livestock in case anyone makes another attempt at stealing any of them again. Might not stop them, but at least we might be able to ID the perp.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:26 pm

Something I forgot to add from last week was hubs attended a Church Security & Emergency Preparedness meeting put on by the county Sheriff's office.
He said it was standing room only, packed to the very back. Which we thought was a good sign. After giving advice like having an extensive first aid kit & a defibrillator, they also recommended having a tactical class.
Our church is going to have a security meeting including a local church pastor who already has a security team. We are a small country church so I am curious as to how we will go about securing our church without losing that intimate feel.

If anyone has experienced this already I'd love to hear how it has been handled and received by the members.

Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby IceFire » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Our small country church has an informal security force...headed up by one of our deacons, who is also a BP agent. It includes his wife, my husband and myself, another member who happens to be the head of law enforcement division at the nearby national forest, and a few other members (all CCW holders, and formed up the group by mutual agreement). Most of the rest of the members aren't aware that this informal security detail even exists, nor that we are "packing" in church.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:31 am

ForwardPreppers wrote:Something I forgot to add from last week was hubs attended a Church Security & Emergency Preparedness meeting put on by the county Sheriff's office.
He said it was standing room only, packed to the very back. Which we thought was a good sign. After giving advice like having an extensive first aid kit & a defibrillator, they also recommended having a tactical class.
Our church is going to have a security meeting including a local church pastor who already has a security team. We are a small country church so I am curious as to how we will go about securing our church without losing that intimate feel.

If anyone has experienced this already I'd love to hear how it has been handled and received by the members.

Mrs FP

this topic about organized security at church has been discussed on other sites ....

the churches just need to check into the HUGE liability involved when it transforms from an informal corp of members to something more tangent and under the church authority ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Cin » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:02 pm

A Tampa church posted a sign saying members were armed and that they were NOT a gun free zone.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/We-Are-Heavily-Armed-Tampa-Church-Sign-Warns-458852643.html

We received a lot of prepper gifts and books for Christmas:

Sets of sutures
Gladstar's Herbal Medicine book
A Walk Across America/Jenkins
Auger set
Converter for a car battery (2 110 outlets and 2 USB outlets)
A better camera
Potato ricer/noodle maker
Tortilla press
More winter clothing for both of us

And other stuff I can't remember!

We've dehydrated/vacuum sealed 20 quart jars of hamburger rocks.

This week we finally powered up the wood stove. I cooked the Christmas ham on it. :D
Cin

Postby IceFire » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:09 pm

Did the day-long trip to the city for a Sam's/Costco stock-up un today. Also hit REI and picked up some Darn Tough, Farm to Feet, and SmartWool socks.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby John Galt 1 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:55 am

Don't know if this really counts as a prep but it's a new hobby that is allowing me to make money to improve the house.

A few months ago I started playing with Crypto Coins like Bitcoin although I mostly invest in the smaller coins. I've made almost a 400% profit in 2 months and am using some of the profits to put a heavy duty double door on an exterior exit from my home. The rotting old door has always been my weakest point to breaking into the house.

Since investing in Crypto currencies is so speculative I'd only suggest using money you can afford to lose because you can easily lose it. But since I don't fully understand how these coins work I read coin forums and listen to the suggestions of the members who have been on the sites for a long time (high ranking). I only buy coins that are currently being used in some way, have a lot of social support, and can be easily traded.
example: Ripple coin is beginning to be used by some banks for transfers between countries. Civic is being used by Australia and some European countries for energy (usually solar) purchases.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:28 pm

IceFire wrote:Did the day-long trip to the city for a Sam's/Costco stock-up un today. Also hit REI and picked up some Darn Tough, Farm to Feet, and SmartWool socks.

I have to go to Costco soon - we like their toilet paper and its a good buy.

Have heard good things about the Darn Tough socks. All 3 of us got socks for Christmas - I am a big fan of the SmartWool Socks so I got 2 pair. The guys got Wool/Paca socks from Duluth Trading - both are raving about them! Nothing like keeping your feet happy in the winter.

In addition to the socks for Christmas, other preps:
Yeti cooler and cups
2 books: The Backyard Gardener, Welcome to the Farm and a journal
Both dad and I got jackets from Duluth Trading
Tractor Supply Giftcard
Hubs got his dream Craftsman tool box on wheels

The past couple of days have been spent prepping for cold(er) weather - lights in the pump house and chicken coop. Covering some exposed pipes up at Dad's camper. Bringing firewood up to the back porch. I'm getting all my laundry done today should we lose power.

Keep warm everyone and Happy New Year!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Previous

Return to General Preparedness Discussion