• Advertisement

2018 FEBRUARY - What Did you Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Preparedness General Discussion

Moderator: medic94

2018 FEBRUARY - What Did you Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Cin » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Started the new thread...

As for prepping, haven't done much of anything lately - been working and it's been too cold most of the past few weeks.

That said, we started doing our 2 mile hike with the dogs again, after 3 weeks of too-cold-for-us-outside weather! It took a few days to get back in the groove, too. I have gained a little weight back, but with the walking, it's already dropped off.
Cin

Re: 2018 FEBRUARY - What Did you Do To Prep This Week/Month?

Postby Justmeandher » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:58 pm

We just picked up a 1981 Ford F100, 300 six, manual 3 speed w/od on the floor. 75K original miles or so the seller says. Love this truck. No computers and no inspections. :-) Tilled up the garden beds. Waiting for spring.
Justmeandher
North Carolina Preppers Network
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Don't know if I posted this before...made arrangements to possibly buy a COW! The hardest part was conning....er, CONVINCING my husband. Going to go check her out on Saturday.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby casualprepper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:28 am

Me and my group are not super prepared, but we are getting there. Our plan is to all meet up at one of our houses (predetermined) because it is very large and has a lot of natural resources considering the area we are in. That is our plan to bug in together and the beginning of our plan to bug out if needed. Thoughts?
casualprepper

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 pm

casualprepper wrote:Me and my group are not super prepared, but we are getting there. Our plan is to all meet up at one of our houses (predetermined) because it is very large and has a lot of natural resources considering the area we are in. That is our plan to bug in together and the beginning of our plan to bug out if needed. Thoughts?

make sure you have alternative meet up locations - especially bug in locations - doesn't take much sometimes to totally throw chaos into the best laid plans ....

example - pandemic SHTF - primary location family is down with the super flu - secondary backup is now within a restricted zone that's been established - 3 & 4 are too close to the major retail and it's looter central .... u get the idea

always make sure you maintain your independence in regard to supplies and housing - be able to make your own decision to move on - dozens of reasons why the group and/or the bug in doesn't work out - can't be leaving empty handed ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby casualprepper » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:
casualprepper wrote:Me and my group are not super prepared, but we are getting there. Our plan is to all meet up at one of our houses (predetermined) because it is very large and has a lot of natural resources considering the area we are in. That is our plan to bug in together and the beginning of our plan to bug out if needed. Thoughts?

make sure you have alternative meet up locations - especially bug in locations - doesn't take much sometimes to totally throw chaos into the best laid plans ....

example - pandemic SHTF - primary location family is down with the super flu - secondary backup is now within a restricted zone that's been established - 3 & 4 are too close to the major retail and it's looter central .... u get the idea

always make sure you maintain your independence in regard to supplies and housing - be able to make your own decision to move on - dozens of reasons why the group and/or the bug in doesn't work out - can't be leaving empty handed ....

As I said it's still in the works but it is always better to crowd source a plan, appreciate it
casualprepper

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:07 pm

Finished our 5x10 wood shed. Had been working on it for a couple of weeks.

FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:40 pm

casualprepper wrote:
Illini Warrior wrote:

As I said it's still in the works but it is always better to crowd source a plan, appreciate it

needless to say - but this stuff is life & death type decisions - get it wrong and it costs big time ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:09 am

My thoughts are - proceed with caution. Always have an alternate plan should the group dynamic not work out. In this day and age it is extremely hard for a group of any size to get along all of the time. People's feelings get hurt, someone says the wrong thing, someone assumes something and it can ALL come crashing down. Think long and hard about putting anything other than sweat equity into someone else's property. Meaning don't buy something really expensive that you can't get your money back. You can always go get your supplies but you can't uproot established trees or dismantle a barn.

Good Luck,
Mrs FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Postby IceFire » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:34 pm

Removed the cattle panels and pulled the t-posts dividing the goat pen, in order to accommodate the COW I just bought. Of course, I can't bring her home yet...we have to wait for the livestock inspector to come out to "inspect" the cattle (basically, he does up a description of the animal) and do up the transfer paperwork (so we can prove she was purchased, not stolen). Best part, is I'm getting a "two-fer"...cow, who is VERY pregnant, so will have cow AND calf to start my herd. If the calf is a heifer (girl) I'll keep her to build the herd. If it's a bullock (boy) he'll get "clipped" and raised for the meat.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby ForwardPreppers » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:06 pm

IceFire wrote:Removed the cattle panels and pulled the t-posts dividing the goat pen, in order to accommodate the COW I just bought. Of course, I can't bring her home yet...we have to wait for the livestock inspector to come out to "inspect" the cattle (basically, he does up a description of the animal) and do up the transfer paperwork (so we can prove she was purchased, not stolen). Best part, is I'm getting a "two-fer"...cow, who is VERY pregnant, so will have cow AND calf to start my herd. If the calf is a heifer (girl) I'll keep her to build the herd. If it's a bullock (boy) he'll get "clipped" and raised for the meat.

Yay Yay Yay!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Congrats on the new addition(s) to the homestead!

Mrs FP
ForwardPreppers

Postby Cin » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:49 pm

YAY! Ice! Adding to the herd is good!

Yesterday, we had to take our dog in to the emergency vet, he as acting as if he was in horrible pain...he was. Degenerative disc disease, he's hopped up on anti-inflammatory and pain meds, now. We are to keep him as immobile as possible for 10 days, see how he does with the meds, and then re-evaluate. That said, we will keep him as comfortable as possible. I expect, from previous experience, that we won't have him much longer. Husband wants to be without a dog for a bit, and so do I - we have travel plans for the next year. After that, we intend to get two. They do much better in pairs, we've noticed. Last night we saw a Belgian Malinois for the first time...Husband is liking the look of them. We'll see what happens.

Today I am collecting paperwork and downloading all the data needed to turn into the CPA for taxes. Also have to update personal property for the county taxes.

Because I'm doing this, I'm also decluttering piles of paperwork as I go along - about 1/3 is in the trash...sigh, I need to stay on top of this stuff better!
Cin

Postby 3ADScout » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Took a course on raised bed gardening this week. Picked up some Heirloom seeds for the spring. Will be adding some smaller raised beds for herb garden.
Picked up a magazine for a 22 rifle that my brother gave my son for Christmas. Also picked up 100 rounds of .308. Went out to the BOL today and started the tractor, and took some measurements of the raised beds to help lay them out for the Spring.
3ADScout

Postby IceFire » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm

Cin wrote: Last night we saw a Belgian Malinois for the first time...Husband is liking the look of them. We'll see what happens.

One of my dogs is a Mal. They like to have a job to do and are VERY anxious to please. So much so, that they DO have a tendency to be emotionally "needy"...Mine is a little more so, since she was abandoned (dumped by the side of the road) at about 3 months of age, and was so thin that every bone in her body was visible, even under her fur. I STILL have problems putting weight on her.

On the "prepping" front, I got another cabinet put together in my sewing shed, and got it loaded with fabric (this one has the bolts of fabric, some of which I moved from the bottom of another cabinet) so that I could empty out two more LARGE RubberMade-type totes. After that, I did some more work on the new goat pen. Pounding in the T-posts is the hardest part. Got 4 panels wired in, and 1 that is wired to the end post, but I can't finish putting it in until I take the loppers to the mesquite that's RIGHT in the fenceline. After that, only have one side gate post (I have to move it, because apparently there's a bit ROCK underneath, keeping it from going down any farther, and 2 more panels to go to finish.

After that, just need to bring down the water tub and 2 shelters (MIGHT need to take them apart to move them) and it will be ready for the boys.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby kenjabroni » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:27 pm

IceFire wrote:
Cin wrote: Last night we saw a Belgian Malinois for the first time...Husband is liking the look of them. We'll see what happens.

One of my dogs is a Mal. They like to have a job to do and are VERY anxious to please. So much so, that they DO have a tendency to be emotionally "needy"...Mine is a little more so, since she was abandoned (dumped by the side of the road) at about 3 months of age, and was so thin that every bone in her body was visible, even under her fur. I STILL have problems putting weight on her.

On the "prepping" front, I got another cabinet put together in my sewing shed, and got it loaded with fabric (this one has the bolts of fabric, some of which I moved from the bottom of another cabinet) so that I could empty out two more LARGE RubberMade-type totes. After that, I did some more work on the new goat pen. Pounding in the T-posts is the hardest part. Got 4 panels wired in, and 1 that is wired to the end post, but I can't finish putting it in until I take the loppers to the mesquite that's RIGHT in the fenceline. After that, only have one side gate post (I have to move it, because apparently there's a bit ROCK underneath, keeping it from going down any farther, and 2 more panels to go to finish.

After that, just need to bring down the water tub and 2 shelters (MIGHT need to take them apart to move them) and it will be ready for the boys.

I know all about that Ice.

A few things I figured out putting up fences in my area are T Posts and granite can make everything in your body shudder. Especially when you think youre clear and you get a nice hit on it.......I once caught the pounder with my head because of this. I had to move my gate entrance once because where I wanted it and where the granite wanted it was two different places. Only one side of my property actually has t posts properly spaced. I knew I had granite but I thought it was only going to be an issue on one side, not three HAHA. I managed to make it work. A rock drill would have helped but I wasnt forking out the cash for the bit needed plus renting out the drill for a weekend. I may do that some time in the future.....maybe.

I repaired a hot water line tonight. I worked 12 hours and came home and was washing my hands to go eat and turned off the water and started drying off my hands and BOOM, I thought I was shot. Hot water line burst on me right under the sink. Thankfully it happened close enough to the connector that I was able to cut the line and connect everything back up so I have water again. Wife told me it might be a good idea to get a cold and hot water line as back up and I have to agree with that smart woman.

Not much more done in the prepping dept though, because work thinks i am their slave here lately. Really hate working so much, but I do like that the checks are a bit fatter.
kenjabroni
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Next

Return to General Preparedness Discussion