• Advertisement

Global Warming, how are you prepping?

Post general topics here

Re: Global Warming, how are you prepping?

Postby tamtbell » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:49 pm

I am in agreement with permafrost in the fact that I too live in Interior Alaska. Yes our weather is getting warmer and more wacky. Something that I have a love hate relationship with (if curious look up the burn ban in Interior Alaska due to particulates in the air). I hate it because this week we are expecting highs in the 20s and 30s. I'm only happy about it because it most likely will lift the burn ban that prohibits us from using solid fuels for heating our homes.
The roads are expected to be super slick this week. Thats very odd for us this time of year.
Now that all being said, I'm a strong believer that climate change happens not because of man but because it's a natural cycle. Sorry, but not sorry. That's just my belief. Do us humans need to be better about taking care of the planet, sure! But I do not believe humans are completely causing this.
Now, sadly, I have not gotten to the point Permafrost has. I do live in North Pole so I'm much more urban than he is. I drive into the military post every day for work. The climate changing affects me in the fact that I worry about the things I have outside in my cooler (aka outside freezer) that I would hate to think about thawing out.
I don't have a boat, just two 4 wheel drive vehicles and a camper. We don't even have a 4 wheeler or snowmachine yet. Hoping for that soon, along with a kayak for me so I can kayak down the slough.
I have been wanting to make a root cellar but it's going to take a lot of planning, along with a greenhouse so I can finally grow more tomatoes again. I have a friend that traps with her kids, I'm jealous of her, I haven't started doing that yet, mostly because I'm at work when she's doing it. For now I have more than enough rabbit furs to keep me practicing on my tanning.
For the moment we live in a day of peace, but it shall not ever be thus. Great trials lie ahead... and we must prepare ourselves temporally and spiritually.
~Bruce R. McConkie~
tamtbell
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather