• Advertisement

Looking for advise from/about southeastern

Post general topics here

Looking for advise from/about southeastern

Postby Hornedheart » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:57 pm

I am moving home to Alaska in the spring...... instead of going back to the interior where a lot of my family are, I have chosen instead to settle with my son down in southeastern near Ketchikan. I have worked summers there often but it will be my first time living there year round. I know the sustainability challenges there are different from both mainland Alaska and from the lower 48. I am taking rabbits and milk goats with me for sure...... sheep and guinea hogs are a maybe.... will order poultry once settled. I am an avid gardener as well and hope to grow (as well as hunt/gather) most, if not all, of our food within the first 5 years. I would like to talk to folks who have experience gardening and keeping stock in this area, though any advise is welcome. I know the conditions are unique and would like to gather some first hand experience from folks who have already done it to maybe keep from making some mistakes..... things like what will grow best, rain tolerant fruit trees, specific problems ect. I look forward to all input. :D
Hornedheart

Re: Looking for advise from/about southeastern

Postby AK_born86 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:06 pm

I live in anchorage so I wont be of much help. Welcome back to Alaska though.
AK_born86

Postby Hillbillyman » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:30 pm

My question would be - how much is the food source worth vs how much will it cost to build a place for them to live and to keep it heated and feed the animals.
In most market type environments where you can grow the food for the animals that you keep and you can buy feed economically it is still a crap shoot to try to feed and raise animals for slaughter.
When I worked on a dairy farm, the farmer had to pay to breed his animals and he did not keep any males because you had to feed them and there was not any return for your investment.
Today a Holstein or Guernsey calf or heifer is worth as much as a full grown cow
Sometimes a idiot will ask a question that the wisest man cannot answer.
Hillbillyman

Postby Hornedheart » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:54 pm

Well the part of Alaska I am moving to is growing zone 7...... rather like Seattle only wetter. So keeping them dry will be more of a concern than keeping them warm. I think I can grow all or most of their feed as long as I keep my numbers down to a reasonable level. I am also looking at growing things like root crops and out of the box types of things to supplement feed. More of an old school approach. I believe I will be able to easily sell my excess, above my own needs, in the community. Meat is fairly expensive there. I cant sell dairy products with out being inspected so that wont be an option. :D
Hornedheart

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather