• Advertisement

Alaska BOB

Post general topics here

Alaska BOB

Postby AK_born86 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:07 pm

Hey guys,

I think we all have a pretty good idea about the basics of a BOB. I wanted to ask my fellow Alaskans: Do you have anything unique in your BOB that makes it different than a normal BOB. Anything unique to Alaska (other than a bigger coat, hat, and gloves) ? Ideas? Thoughts?
AK_born86

Re: Alaska BOB

Postby Permafrost » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:59 am

Depends.

Where are you bugging out to? Or where are you bugging out from?

I have multiple bags depending on season and what I am doing. I also have one bag that is my permanent bug out bag that weighs 80 pounds at least and contains everything, but I would only make 5 or 10 miles a day carrying it in the woods fighting through the brush.

It all depends on what you are running to or away from, different seasons and actives require different gear. The bag you need snowmachining hundreds of miles from town is not the bag you want in your truck in Los Anchorage, The bag you take moose hunting in the interior will be drastically different from the one you take fishing on the coast.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby AK_born86 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:10 pm

Frosty,

I am in Anchorage right now (I don't agree with the los anchorage thing, that doesn't seem accurate to me when I think about my experiences in large cities) and will be traveling not too far. A ways, but not hundreds of miles. My OP was more I line with your "permanent BOB". I have the same permanent BOB and I am interested in what makes yours different than mine. But that's ok, Ill talk prep any day.

I have a go bag that I always carry with me that I just move clothing and gear in and out of depending on season/activity. Wouldn't this accomplish the same thing as your multiple bug out bags? maybe just not as extensive? In my mind, I am imagining your house with 8 BOB backpacks all lined up with 80% same content and 20% variable depending on season. Am I accurate thinking this?
AK_born86

Postby Permafrost » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Los Anchorage is just how everyone up here refers to Anchorage, it is not meant as disrespectful it is just common speech here. For many that is the biggest city they will see in their lifetime, and it has a culture that is quite different than the rest of Alaska.

I do have multiple bags but they are in different places. 1 for the truck, 1 for the boat, 1 action packer permanently attached to the snomachine, 1 action packer permanently attached to the Polaris 6x6, still working on one for the track rig. Some have redundant gear but I find it helps when I take off to have things already packed and ready, when I get back used items are replaced or cleaned and then I am ready to go without a lot of fuss if the occasion arises. Many of these have specialty items needed for those actives, the 6x6 bag has a tire repair kit where the boat has a spare water pump, my snowmachine has snowshoes when nothing else does. My BOB's are designed to fit the situations that might happen when I am doing the actives associated with the different equipment or worst case scenario get home.

My main BOB has everything I would need to walk out into the woods and survive for a extended period of time. It contains things like a draw knife for de-barking logs (to rebuild) and open pollinated seeds for starting a garden. It also contains a pack-raft to aid in getting away from the road system in the event that other means of travel are not possible. If I take off with this bag the only thing I need to grab is a rifle and the snowshoes off the sled.

All my bags contain a tub of lard for instant calories and flares for starting a fire with wet wood. Skinning and butchering knives are also contained within every bag as well as a water filter. All of them also contain a tarp and bedding/clothing appropriate to the season. Some things travel between bags because I can not afford more than one, like a 10/22 takedown rifle.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby AK_born86 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:08 pm

Frosty,
This is great info. I like the idea of pollinated seeds for a garden and the pack raft is a really good idea. I need to get a good pair of snowshoes as well. any reccs on brand? Thanks for your responses. communication is key. What do you plan on using for comms?
AK_born86

Postby Permafrost » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:23 pm

I have no communication plan at this time. I have a sat phone that I use so my wife does not call the troopers if I am overdue, but I do not have anything for a long term emergency. It is just the two of us and we would probably be at the cabin in a long term emergency so it is low on the priority list, I have been thinking of getting a CB at the cabin so I can talk with my closest neighbor that is like 10 miles away but nothing so far. The snowshoes I have are from the 70's and they were a hand me down from my father so I can not recommend a brand, when money allows I would like to get a new pair but what I have works. If you can't afford a pack raft you can get one of those 2 or 3 man inflatable rafts from Fred Meyers, they are ok for floating down the Tanana or Yukon but I would not take them in any kind of rough water.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby AK_born86 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:13 pm

who else has something interesting?
AK_born86

Postby Northman57 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:10 pm

Howdy, I love the inforama you guys put out here! I'm new to prepping and don't have a BOB yet. Still reading and deciding what I would do in an emergency, say like in the case of martial law. I've come to the conclusion that I would be better off bugging in as part of an organized group of preppers helping each other defend themselves after the military make their sweep to collect guns etc. I agree that I should be more pro active in keeping seasonal items as well as necessary survival means in a BOB to at the least be self sufficient to get to a safer location if needed. Just recently I started following paulkirtley.com wilderness bushcraft/survival skills/outdoor life blog. I find his straight forward way of teaching refreshing and no nonsense videos very informative when it comes to what to do if you have to survive in the winter outdoors. He's in the UK and spends alot of time in sub zero conditions in places like Norway that are similar to what we have here in Alaska. Check out his video on what he packs for a week supply of food for himself.
Northman57

Postby Northman57 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:28 pm

The video I mentioned is on youtube just search for Paul Kirtley and you'll find all his videos on bushcraft there. :)
Northman57

Postby AK_born86 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:50 am

northman,

hey thanks for the reply. Building a BOB is a time consuming process and one that is always evolving. I think just starting puts you in front of 90 percent of the country. I will have to check out Paul Kirtley and see what he has to offer. thanks for the heads up
AK_born86

Postby AK_born86 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 pm

northman,

How about comms for you? any ideas on what you would do if cell phone service was down and you needed to talk with your family?
AK_born86

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather