• Advertisement

Dog Supplements?

Post general topics here

Dog Supplements?

Postby Permafrost » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:45 am

Anyone out there giving their older dogs supplements? Do they work?

So we took our dogs in for their annual check-up, our older GSD (9 yrs.) is starting to get arthritis and the vet said to give her a glucosamine supplement. Right now she is not bad but it will get worse as the years go on so I found a product at Cold Spot Feed called "Endure" but it is kinda spendy. Vet said to also give it to our younger GSD to keep her joints healthy as well.

Each serving contains: Green Lipped Mussels 1000mg, Glucosamine HLC 1000mg, Chondroitin Sulfate (shark) 700mg, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C) 500mg, Psyllium Husk Powder 3000mg.

$130.00 for 368 servings. 1 serving per day per dog, for dogs over 50 pounds. Seemed high but have not found anything else in town. Most of the mushers I know that use supplements use something else that costs more but it also has other stuff in it.

Anyone out there ever tried this product or anything similar to it?
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Dog Supplements?

Postby Cin » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:53 am

I had 2 dogs - one who had ACL surgery in both hind legs, and arthritis in front elbows. The other dog had hip dysplasia.

I read an article years ago and bought them the only glucosomine supplement I could find, it was at WM and for humans. Later, I found out that one of my dogs was wise to it, and was spitting them out later. So I got the liquid glucosomine at WM, I think the brand is called Wellesse? I was giving glucosomine to my dogs long before a vet recommended it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10316531?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000011911&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40753853312&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78605931992&veh=sem

I got a little syringe thing and gave them half the recommended daily dose for humans.
Cin

Postby Permafrost » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:29 pm

Did it help?
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby MoosePath » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:07 pm

We had a black lab that was born with OCD Osteochondritis Dissecans. It is a joint disease that the cartilage is deteriorating. She was limping at the age of six months. She had an operation that corrected the issue in her hocks but the vet recommended using 500 mg of chondroitin sulfate and 500 mg of glucosamine sulfate twice a day. We purchased ours online at Vitamin Shoppe. We didn't use the combos we purchase each of them separately. The glucosamine came in capsules and the chondroitin came in tablet form. Before we would use this combination she would limp all the time but after using these vitamins for several days she would stop limping. We kept her on these pills her whole life, she lived to be 11 1/2 years old. She bad arthritis through out her whole body but she was able to tolerate it because of the pills. The reason I know is we tried taking her off the pills once and when we did she started limping again within days. Also we saw a combination of both at Sam's Club once that had both ingredients in a single pill form. It was cheaper then the Vitamin Shoppe brand that we were using so we tried it. Again she started limping again in a few days. The vet said it does not work in every case but he also said it cannot hurt your dog either. The glucosamine came in bottles of 240 count and the chondroitin came in bottles of 100 count. Together they ran about $30-40, which would give you 50 days worth of the chondroitin and 120 days of the glucosamine. Hope that helps you out.
MoosePath

Postby GrumpyMillenial » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:09 pm

On this topic, does anyone have any information about feeding dogs when SHTF or making your own food? Salmon might be hard to get for alot of people, so how much extra food will you need to hunt and grow to feed a dog? A sled team?
GrumpyMillenial

Postby Permafrost » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:50 am

GrumpyMillenial wrote:On this topic, does anyone have any information about feeding dogs when SHTF or making your own food? Salmon might be hard to get for alot of people, so how much extra food will you need to hunt and grow to feed a dog? A sled team?

About 6 cups of QUALITY dry dog food such as "Taste Of The Wild" per dog per day for a dog that is working, minimum. 3 to 4 cups a day that is not working hard or a dog in the summer. I have no plan for dog food other than a few months of dry to get me through until the Salmon run. If Salmon is not possible there is always Pike or White Fish.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather