• Advertisement

Could You Make It?

Post general topics here

Could You Make It?

Postby Permafrost » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:37 pm

So I saw this today in the paper and it got me thinking. So many times I see people talking about bugging out online but I often wonder if they realize what it would actually be like. This is proof that it is possible to cover distance in the cold traveling with a light load, even for someone who is in their later years of life. He was traveling on the river because it was easier walking than trying to go overland, and I am sure he would have made it considering how close he was to his goal when the troopers found him. I would hate to be the family member that spoiled his trip by calling in the troopers, and robbing him of his bragging rights.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_new ... 0b73c.html
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Could You Make It?

Postby peekachoo » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:32 pm

Probably not! But I am proud of him even if he had a drink or two. I lived in Alaska and I know what a drink or two is up there.
peekachoo
Colorado Preppers Network
Colorado Preppers Network

Postby independentlurker » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Permafrost,

No..I sure couldn't make it nor would I try it. I plan to shelter in place if anything happens. If they get me here , well ,I hope I will at least be warm.
independentlurker

Postby LeeLynn » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:32 pm

Seems to me he knows what to expect at his age and was dressed for it. Guess as long as you can handle the weather you're good for a couple days. I congratulate him.
LeeLynn

Postby watcher » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:25 am

a man has to know his limitations - he knew this was within his
Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire. The former are idealists acting from highest motives for the greatest good of the greatest number. The latter are surly curmudgeons, suspicious and lacking in altruism. But they are more comfortable neighbors than the other sort.
watcher
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Permafrost » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:53 am

I posted this because I thought it was a good example of what people can do. Many on this site have a decidedly negative view of bugging out and underestimate the physical capabilities of middle aged or senior people. Granted the Yukon breeds heartier people than other places, Robert Service said it best when he penned the law of the Yukon, but what is true of people here can be true of people anywhere as long as they have the will to do a thing. This is a good example of the minimum amount of gear someone would need to travel during winter as long as they were determined to reach their goal. I'm sure the old man that lives upriver from my cabin could walk to town if he had to, but it would take him a few days because it is about 150 miles to the road and he is slightly over 80 years old. I know people in their 70's that still run a trap line on foot, even when it is 50 below zero or colder. It is never wise to underestimate people or discount older individuals, the human body is more resilient than most on here would believe.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby terrapin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:37 am

At his age, yes.
11 years later,(my age)---nope.
I might get half that far, with some good shoes....
and a fair amount of liquid encouragement.
terp
terrapin

Postby AuntBee » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:11 am

That's an excellent point. We forget the power of personal Will and start to believe external events and beliefs are stronger. One phrase I hate is "I have no choice." That's almost never true. The other phrase I hate is "You can't do that." The sad thing is that the voice I hear saying those two things is mine. I am telling myself those messages. The old man's story is a good kick in the butt for me, so thank you for posting it!

Aunt Bee
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:05 pm

Thats a great story.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:12 pm

I would be a Raycicle. Honestly, i don't know. If i were dressed correctly then yeah, maybe. That distance I would be OK with, and after the Polar bear weekend, i am more confident in the cold.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby GrumpyMillenial » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Hah! I love it. Just goes to show you can prepare yourself for everything and load up with stuff to get you through, but what you really need is a "Why not?" and a can-do attitude.
GrumpyMillenial

Postby muskegmike » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:54 pm

Interesting article. I did something a little similar when I was 42 (63 now). I learned one very critical thing was to be able to stay hydrated. I did not have anything to melt snow in and did not bring nearly enough water. I suffered significantly for it. A lot of people may not realize that Alaskan interior winter travel tends to be very dehydrating. People all over are tough, but unless one has an understanding of the local demands of the environment they are in, they can make irreversible mistakes. I have had plenty of close calls in the wilds because of ignorance. I detest being cold, having been there too often. With proper understanding and clothing, however, it can be a joy to be out in the extreme cold. I would like to think I could do it now, but I would try to be sure I had my ducks in a row before committing to it.
muskegmike

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather