• Advertisement

Changing Conditions

Post general topics here

Changing Conditions

Postby Permafrost » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:47 pm

So I saw this in the paper today and I decided to do the math, we only had 195 days of snow this year or a little over 53% of the year. This is actually somewhat deceptive because the rivers have been unsafe to travel on for a month give or take depending on the river. Freeze up came late and even in December the Nenana River was not frozen enough to drive a bulldozer across, as northland wood found out. We only had roughly 3 months of heavy freighting ability this year, and maybe 4 months of winter trail access. I was curious if this problem (global warming possibly or something new and even worse?) was effecting others here and how they were dealing with it. This not only effects bug out/emergency travel plans but also the ability to hunt or trap and haul in supplies. Is anyone changing up primary winter vehicles? I was thinking of switching from a snowmachine to a amphibious track rig like a Argo but I was concerned with the speed and fuel economy. I have a old track rig but it is extremely costly to operate and slow as heII, I am looking at other options for next year.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_new ... 740e2.html
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Changing Conditions

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:22 pm

Well, yes, I have.

This is the second bad winter here, extremely cold, snow stays on forever and difficult to get out.

Last month I bought us an old 4 wheel drive Dodge Ram 2500 with a snow plow blade, not going to
be stuck again and who knows when or what we may need it for.

DH is going to do some repairs, put a new cylinder on the blade and go over all the components.
It's a 1998 with 70k miles on it. Was a hospital plow truck, then at the car dealership for the same use
for 11 years, only had 5000 miles put on it in 11 years.

I've already used it to pull my stuck mower out of the yard and it weighs about 1200 pounds. Maybe
next winter I won't spend days and days stuck at the house, guess I will find out.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby archerytech1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Been different here in Michigan for the last few years as well. The winters have been much colder and just more harsh all the way around. I don't think it's global warming but I could be wrong. I remember many times the last few winters where they show the Arctic air that normally stays up north has instead been bending way down south and getting us here. I don't know what has been causing it but it seems that while Alaska and Canada's north has had milder winters we down here have had much more severe than normal. I have nothing to base my thoughts on however I believe it will correct itself and keep the big Arctic air up there where it belongs.
archerytech1
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby Northern Freeman » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:30 pm

It has been a warm winter here also. The snow completely melted 3 times during the winter. January is our normal coldest month " around -40 but it was above 0. Our snow now has been gone for about a month and it has been getting up to mid 60s, but today it is snowing again. What kind of a snow machine are you using, we manufacture both Polaris and Arctic Cat up here and it possible at times to get surplus cheap parts like skis and tracks.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman
Minnesota Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:01 pm

Ski-Doo Super Wide Track with the V-800 engine, great for hauling heavy loads and great flotation on deep snow but heavy as heII. Broke through the ice a few times this winter but nothing major, normally the weight is not a problem but the rivers and streams have extremely thin ice lately. I have a fear that one of these days I will break through in a deep spot and loose my whole set-up, and probably my life. I am thinking of a Argo 8x8 (or similar) with tracks because it is amphibious and will float if the ice breaks out from underneath it, giving me a opportunity to winch it out instead of watching it sink. If winters stay warm like the last few we have had here it will be a challenge to get freight (or bug out) to the cabin on the river ice no matter what I have. My cabin is slightly over 200 river miles from the nearest road, under optimal conditions it is over 100 miles by trail & river combination (from road) in the winter but I do not think I could get a Argo through the trail parts without widening the whole trail system. It would be a lot of work to widen the trail plus the cost of the machine, and I do not know how it will preform or what mileage it will get. I got to do something but I have no idea what, maybe if I burn a Al Gore statue at the stake & ritually sacrifice a air conditioner every month it will get cold next year.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:29 am

Ya the weather is changing. I think we are still coming out of an Ice age. Both the big ice age and the small ones in the 1700s and 1800s.

I also think we will hit a maximum of change in one direction and it will start to drop in temperature again.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Rod » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:41 am

Gunns wrote:Ya the weather is changing. I think we are still coming out of an Ice age. Both the big ice age and the small ones in the 1700s and 1800s.

I also think we will hit a maximum of change in one direction and it will start to drop in temperature again.

I read a report about a large pool of warm water in the north Pacific possibly caused by the Fukushima run-off that could be causing the unusual warmth in Alaska. It's a little hard for me to imagine the possible damage from that.
Where will you turn to for help when the Red Cross, Salvation Army and your Insurance is worn out? A.N.T.S.
Rod
Connecticut Preppers Network
Connecticut Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 am

Rod wrote:
Gunns wrote:Ya the weather is changing. I think we are still coming out of an Ice age. Both the big ice age and the small ones in the 1700s and 1800s.

I read a report about a large pool of warm water in the north Pacific possibly caused by the Fukushima run-off that could be causing the unusual warmth in Alaska. It's a little hard for me to imagine the possible damage from that.

Ya I saw that too. Its bunk. The radiation isn't concentrated enough to raise the temps and that pool has been growing over the years.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Northern Freeman » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Gunns wrote:
Rod wrote:

Ya I saw that too. Its bunk. The radiation isn't concentrated enough to raise the temps and that pool has been growing over the years.

If it is stationary it just might mean there is some volcanic activity going on down underneath.
“The Constitution only gives people the right to ‘pursue’ happiness. You have to catch it yourself!” ~ Benjamin Franklin
Ol’ Ben Franklin put it best when he said, “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
Northern Freeman

Postby Northern Freeman » Fri May 01, 2015 2:05 pm

I was just wondering if this volcanic activity is in the same region. http://io9.com/an-undersea-volcano-may- ... 1701473031
Northern Freeman

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather