• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Winter Is Coming

Post general topics here

Winter Is Coming

Postby Permafrost » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:00 pm

Back in town for a while trying to get ready for winter & thought I would see what others are up to. Snow in the hills already, and gloomy/wet in town. Figured I would take a break from rolling up water hoses. Putting boat to bed this week, and will drain lower unit and change water pump & oil so it is ready for next spring. Pulling snowmachines out of the weeds to start on some needed repairs, and get them ready for freight hauling season as soon as the rivers freeze. Welding up a new freight sled later in the month, and a logging arch to haul cabin logs for a new cabin this winter. Track rig is still down so I need to figure out a plan for plowing before to long. Canning & more canning.

What is every one else up to?
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Winter Is Coming

Postby divers351 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:08 pm

I took a swim in my pool today :) Does that count? It was 93 degree in Florida today.
divers351

Postby Permafrost » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:00 pm

Uh, I don't know what to say, I'm sorry. I think I would die if I lived in that kind of heat. No wonder you have a pool. You can always add another layer of clothes to warm up but you can't easily remove your skin to cool off.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:02 pm

PERMA!!! How are you my friend! Good to see a post from you. You crossed my mind the other day when a old school classmate posted pics on his Alaskan cruise on Facebook. Looks like amazing country up there.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby divers351 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:24 pm

It is beautiful...friends of mine live on Kodiak. I visited them last year. Beautiful!
divers351

Postby Permafrost » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:40 pm

It's going good Ray.

Been busy and at the cabin a lot but back in town for a month or two until the rivers freeze-up. This time of the year I always am playing catch up with projects and town is good because I have electricity for the air compressor & the welder. Had a little bear damage at the cabin this summer but nothing bad, saw a lot of bears & wolves. The beaver had their lodge taken out with the spring ice break-up this year and they did not rebuild in front of the cabin, I lost my summer entertainment and my winter meat/furs all in one whack. Berries were not that great this year so not many stored for the winter. Price of fuel is down so I should be able to make more trips back and forth this winter on snowmachine, it will be nice to have some more time with my wife. Snow should be here & sticking in a few weeks to a month, so life is good.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:00 pm

Man, my best adventures pale in comparison to your run of the mill day. :D
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

RayMac1963

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:36 pm

I am going to paint the foundation of the rent house and the garage on the sides we powerwashed. Have to get someone to cut 2 big trees there before winter, they are
going to ruin the roof on one end, can't paint those until that's done. Need to turn the dehumidifier off and the furnace on over there, we have had some 49 degree nights.

DH is going to get the snow plow on the truck, he has some parts to fix so I can use it
this winter. At least its 4 wheel drive so I shouldn't be stuck in here this winter.

We will likely winterize the motorhome, though he has to fix the overflow drain on the water tank. I hope to take off for awhile in January and February so will have to rewinterize and redo when I come back.

My canning is done, I still have tomatoes and bell peppers left in the garden but that's it.

I will wait a couple months and then put heavy curtains up in the living/dining room and in our bedroom. To many windows even if they are dual pane for this climate in the winter.

Will be taking summer clothes to the basement and bringing winter up pretty soon.

Once the lawn mowing is done, will put stabil additive in all the gas cans and tanks we won't use again till next spring.

Clean up garden, spread the decomposed mulch on it and plow in. I planted grass seed on the swale behind the garages today Always something to do out here.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby daaswampman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:49 pm

I am all ready for Winter! Two armloads of wood (for decoration), crew socks for my sandals, a light windbreaker and I tested the indoor shower. The forecast is brutal! Several nights dropping below 50 and a remote possibility of a morning frost!!! Any worse than that and it's another Winter in Mexico. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:07 pm

daaswampman wrote:I am all ready for Winter! Two armloads of wood (for decoration), crew socks for my sandals, a light windbreaker and I tested the indoor shower. The forecast is brutal! Several nights dropping below 50 and a remote possibility of a morning frost!!! Any worse than that and it's another Winter in Mexico. Swamp

Pfffffftttt, will you ever know the love of cuddling with your sled dog team? Hardly. :lol:

Permafrost, glad you're well and back posting. It was 32 degrees one night last week. Squirrels have been very busy! Winter is indeed, on it's way.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Permafrost » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:53 am

Think winter is here. Started snowing a hour ago, supposed to get 6 to 12 inches by tomorrow. Last snow (3 to 5 inches) we had did not stay long. This one might have some staying power. Luckily my wife swapped the tires on both vehicles yesterday so our studs are on and the summer tires are stored in the Conex. Got one snowmachine up & running, and almost done welding/repairing the freight sled for it. I'll stay up tonight finishing the freight sled incase it is needed. Push comes to shove my wife can take the snowmachine & freight sled to work instead of her AWD car.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:58 am

"take the some machine honey, its too bad and too much snow for the AWD car", mean while in Swamp's world its what color tank top to put on... Perma, your daily choices always amaze me. Be safe my friend.

RayMac1963

Postby Permafrost » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:28 am

Power is out, out for like 25% or more of the borough I think. Fired up gen set to run boiler (heat) and get some water in jugs. Turing it off in a minuet, the rest of the neighborhood is dark, so I probably should be as well. Lots of snow, huge lines at the gas station today with people filling jugs of unleaded for generators I think. Nice to not have to stress, took a spin on the snowmachine while everyone else was scrambling to get through the night. Might go get another 100 gal of unleaded if power is not on by tomorrow afternoon. Some stations and the bulk plant either still have power or are on gen power.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:10 am

Having just the slightest hint of what you guys face up there, I still find it hard to believe that more people up there don't prep. Or at least aren't better prepared for what is daily life. Its Alaska for god sake, everyone knows big storms come and power could and would be out.

RayMac1963

Postby catfeet » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:31 am

Still working my way thru the boatload of apples, but like you, canning, canning and more canning. It's that time of year. I've got a room to remodel so we can get a gas stove in place, but that should only take a couple of weeks one I get a move on...I want to finish the canning first, though.
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Next

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather