• Advertisement

Global Warming, how are you prepping?

Post general topics here

Global Warming, how are you prepping?

Postby Permafrost » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:18 am

Over the years I have watched my home slowly warm, and I am at a loss as to how to prep for when it gets worse. It is the end of October in the arctic and it is raining. There is no river ice, again. I had such high hopes for this year, that it might be a winter like we used to have, we had ice flowing down the rivers in the beginning of October. I pulled my boat and got out the snowmachine, along with the freight sleds and traps and dog sled. But now the river is ice free again, with temps forecast to be above freezing for at least another week. Aside from my own personal misery as the snow melts around me, it is taking a toll on a lot of folks here. There was even a article in the paper about it and the impact on rural Alaska. http://www.newsminer.com/features/sunda ... 9a62e.html

Other than investing in a refrigeration system other than a permafrost cellar, I just don't know what to do. A guy can't just keep hoping for better winters, that is the definition of insanity. Most of my problem is transportation, and I'm almost ready to break down & get a loan on a airplane. Of course this would also require me to build a runway, and get a real job, but the runway is not that big of a deal where my cabin is. I am not sold on a airplane but I just don't know what else to do, it looks like I will be stuck in town until December at least because of a lack of river ice.

Anyone else out there in the same mess? I know others in Alaska are having similar problems, does anyone have any solutions?
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Re: Global Warming, how are you prepping?

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:39 am

prep for some liberal bullshit that is nothing but a excuse to take down our borders and open the US to 3rd World domination?

sorry but that agenda got defeated last year .... MAGA
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Wallimiyama » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:47 am

Why prep for something that doesn't exist?
Wallimiyama

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:30 am

While "Global Warming" as it was proposed was a multi-billion dollar hoax designed to funnel money, Climate change is real.....

Not what some are trying to phrase as climate change to replace the failed models of "Global Warming". Those models have proven false even though they still use it for fear mongering now just calling it climate change.(Notice how the news never says "Global Warming" anymore?)

The REAL climate change is natural....We don't have anything to do with it.

Solar cycles, space weather, and magnetic polar changes are definitely having an impact.

Now permafrost has a valid question, it maybe was just a trigger for a few the way it was phrased....It's obvious he sees the change. HE's LIVING IT.

While we are observing these changes not only on our planet, but also on others in our system as well(Where's mans influence there?...lol :rolleyes: ), it doesn't mean you cant change your life to adjust to the changes we experience in weather here.

I've noticed the seasonal flux where I live since I've been here my whole life, but it does ebb and flow...long term? Anyone's guess.

Your way of living exactly in your area Frost may need some fine tuning...Buying a plane may be a solution that's great for 5 years and then become unnecessary again. Who knows?...That's a personal call.

All I can tell you for sure is we are in flux....Some areas are being effected more than others, but this is fact......We are continuously breaking more global cold records each year that heat records. Global Ice is at a record high.(recently of course..not going back to Ice Age obviously)

Now it's obvious its effecting you personally differently than me so all I could suggest is analyze and Prep accordingly how you see fit.

We have deserts that used to be oceans and oceans that used to be deserts....You, and me, we aren't going to control that. Only live in it.
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby NJMike » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:24 am

I generally believe in climate change as described as DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE. To add, I'd say mankind *might* impact the environment negatively, depending, but I don't think a larger natural macro-swing of temperatures is controllable by micro-causes like emission reductions.

Animals that are adaptable to changing climates survive. Those species who aren't able to adapt (like moving to a sustaining climate) end up extinct.

While I wouldn't dismiss the changes that impact others negatively, such as Permafrost is experiencing, in my part of the world milder winters can be a welcome thing. Less single digit days will be especially welcome here if/when the grid goes down and winter heating becomes a huge concern.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:38 pm

Illini Warrior wrote:prep for some liberal bullshit that is nothing but a excuse to take down our borders and open the US to 3rd World domination?

sorry but that agenda got defeated last year .... MAGA

I never said it was "climate change", nor did I say it was man made. But it is a fact that it my home is getting warmer year after year. The arctic is freezing later, and we have less days at normal temps. Granted we still have days that are 50 below zero or colder, but they are getting fewer and fewer. Land is quite literally disappearing as the permafrost melts, this is not some liberal agenda. My personal view is that this is a natural cycle that is still happening as we come out of the last ice age, and it will only get worse, until the planet enters another ice age. My life, and the lives of those in the arctic, may only be a tiny blip in the grand scheme of the planet, but that does not change the fact that we must adapt to survive the warming. I posted this in the Alaska section on the off chance that someone from the arctic who is dealing with these issues might comment, if I wanted political sound bites I would have posted it elsewhere.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:02 pm

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Now permafrost has a valid question, it maybe was just a trigger for a few the way it was phrased....It's obvious he sees the change. HE's LIVING IT.

Your way of living exactly in your area Frost may need some fine tuning...Buying a plane may be a solution that's great for 5 years and then become unnecessary again. Who knows?...That's a personal call.

Trust me, the last thing I want to do is buy a airplane. I have no idea what the penalties are for flying a unregistered uninsured airplane without a license are, but I'm sure they are not just a small fine. I just don't know what else to do. Alaska is roughly the size of about a third of the united states, just call it about the size of the Midwest from the Canadian border to the Mexican border. Only about 3% of this area is connected by the road system, the rest is mostly reliant on rivers or trails that cross rivers. During the shoulder seasons (spring and fall) travel is impossible unless it is by air because the rivers can not be navigated by either boat or dog sled/snowmachine, historically (by historically I mean from the earliest cave paintings to about 30 years ago) these seasons only last a few weeks so it has not been a big deal. As the arctic warms this is no longer the case, and I think it will only get worse unless something triggers the start of a new ice age. So far I have only seen two options, get a airplane or build a armored boat that can survive contact with ice flows before the river freezes solid enough to travel on. I really don't like either option, that's why I posted. I am looking for other ideas from those in the same situation or those who can think creatively and possibly think of something I have not.

On some level I am deeply regretting selling my hovercraft, it was great for these times but it could not hold enough fuel (by weight) to get out to the cabin.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Stahlrosen » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:11 pm

Bummer, hovercraft is exactly what I was just going to suggest. Do they make industrial strength ones that could go longer? Military surplus something maybe?
It would be like your interstate home disappearing with no side road options. :( Not a good thing.
Stahlrosen

Postby Stahlrosen » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:25 pm

Wait, they make some BIG hovercrafts. How big was the one you had?
Stahlrosen

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 pm

Do you go out there to just live in the winter? If its not necessity why
not just stay home?

I believe in global warming, climate change whatever you want to call it.
The billions and billions of people, machines, and equipment, have to effect
this small planet in some manner.

I saw it get hotter the last 5 years we lived in Texas. I only noticed it
because I had to put my garden out earlier each year, water it more,
and see it burn up earlier, so yes, something was happening.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Permafrost » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:57 am

Stahlrosen wrote:Wait, they make some BIG hovercrafts. How big was the one you had?

I had a 20' hovercraft. It could hold me, my wife, one of our dogs, a weekends worth of food, and enough fuel for about 150 miles of operation. It is over 400 miles round trip to get to our cabin, so it was not something that was workable. They do make some big hovercrafts that can haul a huge load, but they cost so much they are cost prohibitive. I can pick up a old airplane for around $20,000 to $40,000, it is still a lot of money but it is something that I could put together if I sell a few other transportation related things.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:08 am

PatrioticStabilist wrote:Do you go out there to just live in the winter? If its not necessity why
not just stay home?

My cabin is my home. I come to town throughout the year to either see my family or work. I do not just "live" there, I harvest food resources there as well as trap furs to sell. Perhaps that it why I get so frustrated when I hear people like Illini try to peg me as a liberal, because the liberals are trying to end my way of life by ending trapping and hunting.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:13 am

Permafrost wrote:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:Now permafrost has a valid question, it maybe was just a trigger for a few the way it was phrased....It's obvious he sees the change. HE's LIVING IT.

Trust me, the last thing I want to do is buy a airplane. I have no idea what the penalties are for flying a unregistered uninsured airplane without a license are, but I'm sure they are not just a small fine. I just don't know what else to do. Alaska is roughly the size of about a third of the united states, just call it about the size of the Midwest from the Canadian border to the Mexican border. Only about 3% of this area is connected by the road system, the rest is mostly reliant on rivers or trails that cross rivers. During the shoulder seasons (spring and fall) travel is impossible unless it is by air because the rivers can not be navigated by either boat or dog sled/snowmachine, historically (by historically I mean from the earliest cave paintings to about 30 years ago) these seasons only last a few weeks so it has not been a big deal. As the arctic warms this is no longer the case, and I think it will only get worse unless something triggers the start of a new ice age. So far I have only seen two options, get a airplane or build a armored boat that can survive contact with ice flows before the river freezes solid enough to travel on. I really don't like either option, that's why I posted. I am looking for other ideas from those in the same situation or those who can think creatively and possibly think of something I have not.

On some level I am deeply regretting selling my hovercraft, it was great for these times but it could not hold enough fuel (by weight) to get out to the cabin.

I'm wondering about the feasibility of occasional bush pilot services for you Vs. the plane purchase and fines/penalties/jail for flying unlicensed? I know one thing is that the FAA don't funk around on that issue.(Especially after 911 and Russia proximity to you).

While in a SHTF scenario you aren't going to care abut a fee/regulation on using the plane unlicensed, day-to-day living sounds like a non-starter there...(lol...That's one heck of a prep though!)

Occasional bush transport with a sat phone for pickup/re-supply in the worst seasons until the river freezes up is my thinking for the cases where its needed...???

I'm sure you've looked at the option....What's the cost involved on that option Permafrost? Another non-starter for the cost involved?
In honor of RebNavy...RIP buddy. You made me smile. :)

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Driven, are you sure you are from Kalifornia? You make a lot of sense.
Reb"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862
Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Frayed Aglet » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:18 am

like others have said the liberal version of global warming is complete BS. Climate change is a natural cycle that has been going since there was a climate billions of years ago up and down for those billions of years. it was warmer with higher CO2 levels during the roman empire and we are still hear today doing just fine. Also our impact on it is just another microscopic drop in the bucket a single volcano erupting puts more green house gas and toxins into the air then we humans have during are entire history on earth.

I prep for the real things like forest fires and tornadoes and of course the zombie apocalypse since liberals are everywhere and the infection is spreading fast.
Frayed Aglet

Postby Permafrost » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:56 pm

DR1VN,
I currently spend about $5000 a year on charter flights. Most of these are in the summer to fly my wife out to see me. It is about $850 each way for a Cessna 185 on floats, so for her to come out for a week & get back to town it is about $1700. Skis in the winter are a little cheaper but not much. Occasionally she can hop a flight for free with someone we know if they are headed out our way, but there are not that many people flying over our flight path. If I add flights to the equation for myself it gets to be cost prohibitive for her to come out to see me. No matter how you slice it the math is not pretty, and the price of furs is not what they used to be with all the "fur is murder" people running around. Long term it may make more financial sense to buy instead of chartering, we have chartered because it was only her transportation costs on the flight ledger but if it becomes both of us then trapping is not going to cover the cost year after year. If I tack on two flights for myself (fall & spring) it adds another $3400 to the yearly bill, at over $8000 a year in "bush services" it only takes about 3 years of that to equal what I would pay for a old Taylorcraft or Stinson.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Next

Return to Alaska Discussion, News, and Weather