• Advertisement

your neighbors will be looters (or dead)

Ask survival related questions here

Re: your neighbors will be looters (or dead)

Postby Cast Iron » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:33 pm

ajax727 wrote:Those long range shooters who say they can drive nails at 1000 yards are fun to listen to and like others know they are full of it . It is not easy to hit a target at that range , it took me a long long time to hit a target at that range using a 30 06 , heck I could not even hit a 4 x 8 target back then but with a lot of help from a couple of fellows off FT. Bragg I learned to .
About the neighbors being looters around here most of them want be, being rural most have food and supplies on hand .If or when things get real bad most of us will pull together and act as one to help each other but there will be few that will be removed because they are just useless .

While I would like to shoot (competitively) out to the 1000 yard line, I have only shot to the 600 yard line in NRA High Power Rifle.

Realistically, other than shooting from the prone, I can not see shooting past the 300 or 400 yard line and expect to hit something in a SHTF scenario.

One of the exercises my SSGT used to put us through was to sprint a hundred yards out and back, execute twelve Marine Corps push-ups, then dive on our rifle and take three shots in five seconds at a eight inch target from the unsupported prone.
Sounds easy, but it is not.
And even less so at 20+ years of being a young Marine.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby danthman114 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 am

shooting 1k isn't hard so long as you have the knowledge to do it. knowing how to read the in the mirage and adjusting the parallax to read it at different ranges is one of the most important parts. knowing that the wind at the shooter has more effect on the bullet on the POI than it does closer to the target. windage is the hardest part of long range shooting. then theres everything else. if you don't have your dope already written down for different times of the year and then going for that long range shot you will miss... also, if your rifle doesn't like the ammo you shoot youll miss that lr shot. knowing what velocities your rifle likes for a given weight of projectile, you can get away with shooting different ammo that you have never shot before... for example, my 700 with 168 (I wont shoot 168 at 1k) tends to like the velocity between 2600 and 2700...
danthman114

Postby sageprice » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:19 pm

Why are they come knocking, or looting? Is it because they didn't prep? If there are no utilities, what makes them think that you have more than them? My biggest fear is that they do something stupid and burn down the whole neighborhood.
1. 3 minuets with out breath
2. 30 minuets exposure.
3. 3 days without water.
4. 30 days without food.
Most will not make it to 30 days and will turn rogue.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby John Galt 1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Cast Iron wrote:
John Galt 1 wrote:Even if you can take and store the deer it won't be long before the deer are hunted out.
We live in a fairly rural area with a fair number of deer and rabbits but I wouldn't expect them to last more than a few months but we do have some ability to butcher and preserve.

As for the OP since we are in a fairly rural area with a bit of farming and cows in the area I suspect most people would play nice depending more on trade than the gun. I doubt everybody in the larger area (small town a few miles away) has a useful skill set or cows/food to trade but I'm comfortable in the neighbors within a mile to be able to get by at least for a good while using trade. Still, we plan to play "the grey man" to minimize attracting attention and do have some ability to defend if required.

If groups of stealing people from the city did make it out here I could see the community banding together to protect the area but since I'm a few miles outside the small town we probably wouldn't be inside the protected area.

Perhaps your area is different from mine.
But if me and my neighbors go through all of our livestock to include cows, goats, sheep, hogs, chickens and me, ducks and rabbits in such a short order to depopulate the local deer and wild rabbit population, we have serious issues.

One of my first courses of action (COA), would be to reach out to my neighbors and establish a breeding program.

A second or third COA would be to establish a game management program. Any responsible hunter would know the value of game conservation.

I know some would vehemently object or even severely criticize me (Slanted or Irdly come to mind), but I would offer up whatever extra or that which I can not use before it goes bad to my neighbors.
Better to make them friends or allies vs antagonists or possible enemies. Let them see me as an asset vs a foe.

Every area is different but within a 2 mile radius there are probably 7 cows per person (4200 lbs reproducing processed beef/person). We're not way out but far enough from a large population center.

Because of my interest in renewable energy and realistic energy production we'd probably be able to store 300+ lbs food for months after processing. We'd also conceder neighbors a required part of the survival plan.... "No man is an island".
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Postby random_person » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:25 pm

One thing I don't think OP has considered is that people have been driven insane by extended periods of isolation. I've read of people in solitary confinement who have begun to hallucinate, among other things.

Sure, the majority of your neighbors will probably be completely unprepared for a SHTF scenario, but that's why you seek out the folks who are prepared and plan with them...who contributes what, etc.

Just my two cents.
random_person

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:24 pm

John Galt 1 wrote:
Cast Iron wrote:
John Galt 1 wrote:Even if you can take and store the deer it won't be long before the deer are hunted out.
We live in a fairly rural area with a fair number of deer and rabbits but I wouldn't expect them to last more than a few months but we do have some ability to butcher and preserve.

As for the OP since we are in a fairly rural area with a bit of farming and cows in the area I suspect most people would play nice depending more on trade than the gun. I doubt everybody in the larger area (small town a few miles away) has a useful skill set or cows/food to trade but I'm comfortable in the neighbors within a mile to be able to get by at least for a good while using trade. Still, we plan to play "the grey man" to minimize attracting attention and do have some ability to defend if required.

If groups of stealing people from the city did make it out here I could see the community banding together to protect the area but since I'm a few miles outside the small town we probably wouldn't be inside the protected area.

Perhaps your area is different from mine.
But if me and my neighbors go through all of our livestock to include cows, goats, sheep, hogs, chickens and me, ducks and rabbits in such a short order to depopulate the local deer and wild rabbit population, we have serious issues.

One of my first courses of action (COA), would be to reach out to my neighbors and establish a breeding program.

A second or third COA would be to establish a game management program. Any responsible hunter would know the value of game conservation.

I know some would vehemently object or even severely criticize me (Slanted or Irdly come to mind), but I would offer up whatever extra or that which I can not use before it goes bad to my neighbors.
Better to make them friends or allies vs antagonists or possible enemies. Let them see me as an asset vs a foe.

Every area is different but within a 2 mile radius there are probably 7 cows per person (4200 lbs reproducing processed beef/person). We're not way out but far enough from a large population center.

Because of my interest in renewable energy and realistic energy production we'd probably be able to store 300+ lbs food for months after processing. We'd also conceder neighbors a required part of the survival plan.... "No man is an island".

Okay.

Then why would you depopulate the local deer or rabbit population if there is such a high ratio of people to cows or the ability to store that much meat?
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby Cast Iron » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:37 pm

random_person wrote:One thing I don't think OP has considered is that people have been driven insane by extended periods of isolation. I've read of people in solitary confinement who have begun to hallucinate, among other things.

Sure, the majority of your neighbors will probably be completely unprepared for a SHTF scenario, but that's why you seek out the folks who are prepared and plan with them...who contributes what, etc.

Just my two cents.

I would be inclined to agree the OP, if anyone would end up talking to a volleyball, it would be him.

Where I live, snow and or ice storms are not uncommon. We just got over a foot of snow in the past 48 hours. Around here, everyone has at least two weeks, if not more of food stockpiled.

If you include livestock, that time line goes a whole lot further.
Case in point, today I just vacuum sealed about twenty five pounds of cured sweet bacon.
This year I raised, slaughtered, butchered around 450 lbs of pork.

I still have four ducks to process, and I could do another twenty chickens if I had to.

Still have not gotten to the cows, goats and rabbits.

More than a few of my neighbors have similar livestock.

Granted, I live in a very rural area, where a lot of us practice old school skills, gardening, canning, the raising of small, medium and large livestock, etc.

Those living in the urban or sub-urban areas, I can see going all Mad Max within a month or so of the onset of a true SHTF situation.
Cast Iron

Postby John Galt 1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:23 am

Cast Iron wrote:[quote="John Galt 1
Okay.

Then why would you depopulate the local deer or rabbit population if there is such a high ratio of people to cows or the ability to store that much meat?

Because the people from the town would hunt them out. There is a 800 acre hunting property close by and the locals are always poaching there.
Talk is cheap, actions count.
John Galt 1

Previous

Return to Survival Q & A