• Advertisement

Southern Cochise county

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderator: itsadisaster

Southern Cochise county

Postby PLA » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:52 pm

I try to keep a low profile and am looking around here for local preppers for radio nets and maybe meetings.

Lived in Cochise County 22 years, so Im pretty much a native.
PLA

Re: Southern Cochise county

Postby itsadisaster » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:12 pm

Howdy from Tucson PLA .. and welcome! Make yourself at home here and holler if you have trouble finding anything. :) itsa (Janet)
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download our free mini ebook ... and support APN by becoming a Gold Member
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby IceFire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:31 pm

Welcome from the western part of Cochise County (Ft. Huachuca area), PLA! I don't do ham radio, but have been prepping for a long time. It's nice to finally find others in my neck of the desert!
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PLA » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:13 am

Ice, to quote a friend from another board, Tevin's Law: "Ham radio is so essential to prepping that, without it, one cannot really say they are prepped. It is second only to water and equal to guns."

Im not far away, if you want to see why HAM is one of the top 3 things you should be prepping come by some day. I'll open your eyes

Thx Janet
PLA

Postby IceFire » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks for the invite, but right now I'm still trying to learn all of the 10-codes for my work radio! (in addition to learning the applicable statutes...both County AND ARS!)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Desert Rider » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm in Sierra Vista and have just started to learn about prepping. There is so much to learn I see. I have the means to store a couple of weeks of water already. Need to start stocking up on food and emergency supplies. The weapons are in place as well, need some more ammo though.
Desert Rider

Postby itsadisaster » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:01 pm

Greetings from Tucson Desert Rider .. and welcome! :)
Be Aware... Be Prepared... and Have a Plan! Download our free mini ebook ... and support APN by becoming a Gold Member
itsadisaster
Arizona State Moderator
Arizona State Moderator

Postby IceFire » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Welcome fellow Sierra Vistan! It's good to have someone else in my area! Yes, there is a LOT to learn and do, but don't let yourself get overwhelmed. It's kind of like learning to walk....one step at a time. If you have questions, ask. There are plenty of folks who will be happy to steer you in the right direction.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PLA » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Well Ice, its always good to learn 10 codes, have you taken the ICS and NIMS courses yet which make your agency codes obsolete???

If you work for the county, you do understand your P25 sexy radios stop working anything but simplex when the repeaters go down?? Like about 40 seconds after the power goes out since the county is too cheap to spend the money on backup power.

Guess who is county comms when the repeaters go down????

Look up CARA, and the Emcom setup they have for exactly the scenario here. Then look up the digital modes a scanner will only hear funny squeeling and see how much you dont know, you dont know.

DR if you need help learning comms, Im willing
PLA

Postby IceFire » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:45 pm

PLA wrote:Well Ice, its always good to learn 10 codes, have you taken the ICS and NIMS courses yet which make your agency codes obsolete???

If you work for the county, you do understand your P25 sexy radios stop working anything but simplex when the repeaters go down?? Like about 40 seconds after the power goes out since the county is too cheap to spend the money on backup power.

Guess who is county comms when the repeaters go down????

Look up CARA, and the Emcom setup they have for exactly the scenario here. Then look up the digital modes a scanner will only hear funny squeeling and see how much you dont know, you dont know.

DR if you need help learning comms, Im willing

Believe me, I understand about the radios stopping working! Not just when the repeaters go down, either! In certain areas of the county, we have NO comms whatsoever....no radio, no cell phone service, and of course, our on-board computers don't work in those areas, either. We have to tell Dispatch that we're going into the area, and will be out of comms range, then let them know when we get back into range. As far as the 10-codes, those are what we use....(we are one of the few agencies that DO still use 10-codes) As for ICS and NIMS courses, we are lucky to get the required training we need to do our jobs (and it takes months to get them) much less anything that is not considered "critical".
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PLA » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:15 am

Best of luck, maybe we'll run into each other sometime

This board had potential for being a great place, but people who encourage violation of law endangers both the boards and the people who post unawares as well.

A shame, seems like every board with this theme attract the same kind of minority
PLA

Postby IceFire » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:36 am

PLA wrote:Best of luck, maybe we'll run into each other sometime

This board had potential for being a great place, but people who encourage violation of law endangers both the boards and the people who post unawares as well.

A shame, seems like every board with this theme attract the same kind of minority

You are SO correct in that! Unfortunately, there are always a few on ANY site who seem to want to do nothing but cause trouble. Plus, on sites like this, you seem to always end up with a few with the raider/mall ninja mentality (Which is so NOT what we are about....that's why we PREP!) especially once it grows the way this one has. Unfortunately, we lost some really good members of the original group after a few of the trouble-makers arrived. There are also sometimes "personality clashes" that unfortunately occur, and simple misunderstandings because communicating this way it's easy to misread intent (like something meant as a joke being taken as serious) since we have no facial expressions to help. Unless you seriously restrict the group size, though, things like that seem bound to happen. But, to the plus side of things, we have added some really great new members, too.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby sisterpine » Tue May 22, 2012 10:29 am

Greetings from Tucson! The deal with the idiots is to just ignore their posts. Recent returnee to tucson after many years in montana. Starting my prepping all over again and looking for some cheaper land in cochise county, benson area, with a well already drilled and working.
sisterpine

Postby IceFire » Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Welcome, sisterpine! I mostly work in the Benson area...at least, the Benson sector patrol area.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Shorin » Thu May 24, 2012 11:36 pm

Hi all, friend from another forum told me about this place and told me to look for a specific person. Found this thread, thought I would say hi. Whetstone here.
Shorin

Next

Return to Check In Here Arizona Preppers