• Advertisement

Confusing Mohave County Zoning Laws

Post general Arizona topics here.

Moderator: itsadisaster

Confusing Mohave County Zoning Laws

Postby Prepper425 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:03 pm

My wife and I are/were considering buying acreage in the Golden Valley, Arizona area to put a manufactured home on and live in an off-grid environment to live in once I retire. We would install a septic, solar, propane, etc to meet our needs and get water from other sources such as hauling or rainwater harvesting. Well, since I like to make informed decisions, I decided to dig into the Mohave County zoning laws. I discovered that the laws state that if you put a manufactured home (defined as any mobile home built after 1976), that it must have all the electrical, plumbing, air conditioners connected, and that you must have septic installed (which I already knew and was prepared to do.) But I'm confused because how does someone connect these things when none are available? There is no water or electricity available! Can someone clarify this? I may have to call zoning and planning to find out what they say....
Prepper425

Re: Confusing Mohave County Zoning Laws

Postby Blondie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:29 pm

There's a difference between modular homes and mobiles. Mobiles are titled in most states like a vehicle and you have to buy a plate/sticker as such annually.

Skip the county and head straight to your local township zoning office. Just be aware if you are really rural, they may be one and the same. Cisterns, even with trucked in water and rain cachment systems are banned in many communities. I recently bought rural property and all the above are prohibited which I knew going in.

Make friends with the zoning inspector. Be honest about what you want to do. He'll give you suggestions on what will be compliant and what the board will approve if you need a variance. I had a zoning inspector once save me from a very expensive mistake. The property I had considered was not zoned as advertised by the realtor.

Imagine my shock knowing a realtor lied! :p
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:28 am

Blondie wrote:There's a difference between modular homes and mobiles. Mobiles are titled in most states like a vehicle and you have to buy a plate/sticker as such annually.

Skip the county and head straight to your local township zoning office. Just be aware if you are really rural, they may be one and the same. Cisterns, even with trucked in water and rain cachment systems are banned in many communities. I recently bought rural property and all the above are prohibited which I knew going in.

Make friends with the zoning inspector. Be honest about what you want to do. He'll give you suggestions on what will be compliant and what the board will approve if you need a variance. I had a zoning inspector once save me from a very expensive mistake. The property I had considered was not zoned as advertised by the realtor.

Imagine my shock knowing a realtor lied! :p

there's recourse in most states for lying SOB realtors - but try to get it in a short manner .... always do your homework - hope you reported that scumwad to the state license agency ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Blondie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Illini, the realtor reprsented a rural parcel as residential. Nice parcel, a little more than 3 acres. I never wrote a contract.

I talked to the local inspector who said the owner was a developer who had been trying to dump, er....sell the property which was zoned commercial. Inspector said the Zoning Appeals Board would never vote to rezone. Ever.

Buyer beware.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Return to Arizona Discussion, News, and Weather