• Advertisement

Idea for a rendevous

Post California meetups and events here

Idea for a rendevous

Postby pathowes88 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:02 pm

So I have an idea to do a meet up with classes but I have no idea how to organize it. I would like some help with it. It would mainly be for South Bay Area people, but others would welcomed.
pathowes88

Re: Idea for a rendevous

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:01 pm

Send us all plane tickets and we'll come down. Can we bring our guns?
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:14 pm

oldasrocks wrote:Send us all plane tickets and we'll come down. Can we bring our guns?

I ain't goin to the land of fruits and nuts for no amount of money. Kalifornia is already lost to the libs.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:33 pm

I escaped from there decades ago. The ONLY reason I EVER go back there is to visit my Mother.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:17 am

pathowes88 wrote:So I have an idea to do a meet up with classes but I have no idea how to organize it. I would like some help with it. It would mainly be for South Bay Area people, but others would welcomed.

Well, from the sounds of things I think I'm the last of the Rear Guard here in SoCal with no hope of reinforcements except from Rocks in the coordinated retreat.....Thanks for the offer at least Rocks. :thumbup:

I used to run RV dealerships out here...HUGE events to coordinate monthly and annually(Ever hear of RVIA?) but it took a team. I have some basic knowledge to help out but you'd have to get very specific for what you're looking to accomplish.

Amount of people desired?
Amount of speakers?
Type of venue?
single or multi day?
At a cost? Desire to break even? Looking to profit/grow for repeat attendees?
etc...

Those are just the few basics.....from your answers the next steps will be gauged.

~D
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby pathowes88 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:40 pm

I don't want to do anything big, maybe around thirty to forty people or so. For venue I'd go for a building like a community center or something that could hold the amount of people I'm looking for. Maybe just a single day event just to see if it would go well. Dollar admission to help with the costs. I'd like it to have some classes so people can learn hands on but not entirely sure though.
pathowes88

Postby oldasrocks » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:22 pm

Just come on down to Missouri. We had a Get Together a few years ago. The group I invited know how to throw a party. We had 26 adults plus a few kids. Everyone brought food and tents. Food was coordinated so not everyone would bring the same thing. It lasted for 5 days with some coming before and or staying longer. A marine gave shooting lessons, a nurse medical lessons. We butchered and cooked a sheep for demonstration on how to butcher safely. Everyone was armed. One doctor, 2 nurses, 5 engineers, and Navy, Army and Marines. Even had a massage therapist. Music was provided by some.

I have a large shop where we set up 8 ft tables and stoves. The shop has a 3/4 bath. I built a temp outhouse too.
oldasrocks

Postby rebnavy1862 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:07 am

oldasrocks wrote:Just come on down to Missouri. We had a Get Together a few years ago. The group I invited know how to throw a party. We had 26 adults plus a few kids. Everyone brought food and tents. Food was coordinated so not everyone would bring the same thing. It lasted for 5 days with some coming before and or staying longer. A marine gave shooting lessons, a nurse medical lessons. We butchered and cooked a sheep for demonstration on how to butcher safely. Everyone was armed. One doctor, 2 nurses, 5 engineers, and Navy, Army and Marines. Even had a massage therapist. Music was provided by some.

I have a large shop where we set up 8 ft tables and stoves. The shop has a 3/4 bath. I built a temp outhouse too.

Did you have to keep an eye on those navy guys? They're a shifty bunch.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby NJMike » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:49 am

pathowes88 wrote:So I have an idea to do a meet up with classes but I have no idea how to organize it. I would like some help with it. It would mainly be for South Bay Area people, but others would welcomed.
I don't want to do anything big, maybe around thirty to forty people or so. For venue I'd go for a building like a community center or something that could hold the amount of people I'm looking for. Maybe just a single day event just to see if it would go well. Dollar admission to help with the costs. I'd like it to have some classes so people can learn hands on but not entirely sure though.

Sounds like a number of events I've attended or helped out with in the Northeast. Try using Meet Up, website version or App. You'll cast a wider net in getting attendance. Meet Up does have a fee. You can ask for donations in the meeting to recoup the cost just like recovering the venue cost. You want to see an example, look up group "Survive and Thrive Philadelphia".

Do you already have topics that you're a subject matter expert on, that you can share? Any other co-organizers with other skills? First thing is to get a meeting planned with a useful or compelling (but not controversial) topic, then start up the group. That first meeting sets the tone, so be prepared to solicit ideas, and ask for people to participate.

Have the chairs out before people arrive if at all possible. That avoids people with different ideas on chair placement causing delays with re-arranging things.

Plan time for introductions. Some people will just give a name, some will want to lay out all their concerns. Allow a little time for that, if you've got that time budgeted.

Set some ground rules on use of photography or video that everyone is happy with.

Steer away from politics if you're looking for inclusiveness.

Anyone providing a demo should ideally provide handouts. Finding a venue with a whiteboard, or projector is a bonus.

Understand and follow the venue's rules on things like open fire, weapons, etc. that may curtail certain preparedness activities.

Run a giveaway of something useful, make it fun like a knowledge trivia contest.

See if there's interest in book swaps, seed exchanges, etc.

If you're not using Meet Up, you may want to set up a voluntary signup to be contacted for future meetings.

On class ideas, things that have happened locally across several different groups- water treatment, solar power, aquaponics, long term food and storage, fire starting, making alcohol stoves, canning and preserving, chicken raising, firearm basics and range time, making natural cordage, wild edibles, first aid, situational awareness, and communications.
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:10 pm

NJMike wrote:

Sounds like a number of events I've attended or helped out with in the Northeast. Try using Meet Up, website version or App. You'll cast a wider net in getting attendance. Meet Up does have a fee. You can ask for donations in the meeting to recoup the cost just like recovering the venue cost. You want to see an example, look up group "Survive and Thrive Philadelphia".

Do you already have topics that you're a subject matter expert on, that you can share? Any other co-organizers with other skills? First thing is to get a meeting planned with a useful or compelling (but not controversial) topic, then start up the group. That first meeting sets the tone, so be prepared to solicit ideas, and ask for people to participate.

Have the chairs out before people arrive if at all possible. That avoids people with different ideas on chair placement causing delays with re-arranging things.

Plan time for introductions. Some people will just give a name, some will want to lay out all their concerns. Allow a little time for that, if you've got that time budgeted.

Set some ground rules on use of photography or video that everyone is happy with.

Steer away from politics if you're looking for inclusiveness.

Anyone providing a demo should ideally provide handouts. Finding a venue with a whiteboard, or projector is a bonus.

Understand and follow the venue's rules on things like open fire, weapons, etc. that may curtail certain preparedness activities.

Run a giveaway of something useful, make it fun like a knowledge trivia contest.

See if there's interest in book swaps, seed exchanges, etc.

If you're not using Meet Up, you may want to set up a voluntary signup to be contacted for future meetings.

On class ideas, things that have happened locally across several different groups- water treatment, solar power, aquaponics, long term food and storage, fire starting, making alcohol stoves, canning and preserving, chicken raising, firearm basics and range time, making natural cordage, wild edibles, first aid, situational awareness, and communications.

All excellent advice above....Sounds perfect for what you're planning.

Only thing I'd add is venue location....If community center just check on deposits, rules, and any permits they might require as they're most likely city or county owned. I'd stay away from that unless you really want a more formal feeling.

If starting smaller, I strongly suggest a restaurant in your area as they often accommodate a group that size for free and that also takes care of food/drink/chairs/tables etc..(Denny's/Marie Calender's/Claim Jumper/ etc...)
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby pathowes88 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks guys. I wanted to have classes cause I know there are some people who want to know certain skills or become familiar with them.
pathowes88

Return to California Meetups