• Advertisement

Suggestions for a book on starting a group?

Recommend books here

Suggestions for a book on starting a group?

Postby ScottyGunn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi all, A small group of people from my church are looking to start a group and we are looking for some guidance. Does anyone know of a good resource to help us decide governance, financial cost sharing, responsibilities, etc...?

Re: Suggestions for a book on starting a group?

Postby TheLight » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:46 pm

I wish I knew of such a book. I can list off a dozen on what to get, how to plan your larder, how to plan your defense... not much has been written about the logistics and realities of starting up a group.
I do know that there's a lot from the "Hippy" community on the subject. Look up intentional communities, that should at least get you started.
Hopefully someone else will be able to help in more detail.
"Where did I leave that clue-by-four?" -Me
"TheLight is a pot-kicking man-ape gone wrong. But we still love him and his ability to carry entire trees at once." -Rush2112
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." ~Winston Churchill

Image http://www.theendofthetunnel.org/
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:18 pm

Read Rawles first book. It is idealistic and has many good ideas as he tells his story. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Gallimaufry » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:03 pm

A lot of the books I found are self-published (not that there's anything wrong with that), but from reading the excerpts, none of them have been very helpful in concrete ways; they're more like memoirs. There is a small series of articles from a couple of years ago that has a few bits and pieces: http://www.examiner.com/green-community ... vid-wagner
The one thing the author mentions that I think is a good idea is to contact people in other intentional communities and see if they can help, or at least send along a copy of their bylaws.

New York Preppers Network
New York Preppers Network

Postby Nomad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:40 am

http://www.ldsavow.com/PrepManualLeadership.html Written for large group of people.
People come together and learn about each other and trust is the big thing...

Return to Books