• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Hello from mid-Ga

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderator: Ravenwood1950

Hello from mid-Ga

Postby phartech72 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:24 pm

Hello my name is April and I am fairly new to prepping. I have been prepping for only a few months and need advice on getting the family(husband and teenage kids) involved. At this point in time they humour me but every day that goes by I feel an urgency to do more and learn more. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks.
Region 6,Jones County
phartech72

Re: Hello from mid-Ga

Postby HighDesertHawk » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Welcome to the group. Just point out how people are mostly never prepared when an emergency/disaster happens. Also point out current events.
Knowledge is preparation.
Best equipment does no good unless you know how to use it.
http://www.roberthicks.shelfreliance.com Thrive Freeze dried food page.
http://www.youtube.com/user/survivalweb?feature=mhum
HighDesertHawk
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby icequeen » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi and welcome from mditown Atlanta. It's great to see another GA prepper.

I know your frustration about getting the family involved. I just point out New Orleans during Katrina and how you can't depend on the government for anything. It at least got them agreeing to keep an extra two weeks worth of food in the house.
icequeen
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby farside » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Welcome from south Atlanta!! The best way is baby steps. Is your husband a hunter, camper, or gardener? You can play on his interest to bring him around to prepping slowly. My wife has alway kept a good pantry, but I've manage to get her to stock quit alot more food and to buy more cans. She not to sure about the LTS food I've got, but she humors me. My adult children just think it's the crazy old mans hobby, but they like to go shootig with me. My wife has even said she going to the next meeting with me. I don't know where your at in Georgia. We are going to start having monthly meeting to exchange idea and get to know each other here in Georgia. Keep an eye on the forum for dates and times. You will always be welcome.
IDEAS ARE A DIME A DOZEN - PEOPLE WHO PUT THEM INTO ACTION ARE PRICELESS.
South Metro Region
State Counsel Chairman
Retired Combat Infantry NCO
farside
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby gman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Glad to see you here from Idaho phartech72. Maybe share a few of these posts with them on Americanprepprers.net. As diverse are the people so is what they all have to say and share. I'll bet they will all find some material of interest to them. Welcome aboard.
Information Station"American Preppers Radio"http://prepperbroadcasting.com/
Support APN and become a Gold Member Today! Free E-book "It's a Disaster And What Are You Gonna Do About It?" Free Lifetime Membership at SafeCastle Royal. 30% Discount at SurvivalCD.com. All this and more! Sign Up Here
gman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Ravenwood1950 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 am

Hello April,
Welcome, glad to see another Georgia person. If you really want the family to get on board...lol...shut the power and water off for several hours and tell them it is their turn to cook dinner. Seriously...sometimes it falls on one member of a family to be the leader in the prepping activities and gently talk to the spouse and children about how you could maintain a level of comfort if you had an ice storm this winter...which Georgia does have semi-regularly. Talk about the grain crop failures and increasing prices of staples at the supermarket and how having a bit extra on hand and being able to only shop the sales can help your family budget. I have always said I would rather know how to do something and never need it than need to know it and not have the knowledge. Try planning a small garden next spring, learn to can, one year our family went to south Georgia and bought 300 pounds of peaches and canned them and made preserves. Does your family camp? Try alternate cooking methods in the back yard to give you more options in case the power or gas goes off. Leave a copy of James Rawles' "Patriots" lying around so maybe the family will read it or if you can read it together and discuss how you would prepare or react to some of the situations. Just take baby steps and ask away here, there are may good minds to pick with good information.
Please do check out the Georgia State Preppers area and introduce your self there, we are working hard to set up a group of like minded people willing to help each other.
If I can be of any help just let me know! And again welcome. :clap:
Ravenwood
Spalding County, Georgia
Region 3 South Metro Area
Emergency Preparedness - spanning the gap between "it won't happen to me" and "we're all going to die!"
Ravenwood1950
Georgia State Moderator
Georgia State Moderator

Postby philandjudi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:54 pm

Hi April,
We are neighbors (kinda) I am just over the interstate from Byron. The first thing you did was become aware of the prepping need. Now fill that need by reading all you can; you will catch on quickly.
I met last Saturday with Ravenwood1950, Farside (& son), Mr.Bill & IceQueen; We will try to get together once a month.
The "LDS Preparedness Manual" is a great start, it is easy to find online. Start storing water and what you eat. Do not rely on the freezer for all of this. If a Sam's Club member 50 lb rice $18 & 50lb dry Pinto beans $22 I put up in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers and desiccant (Hoby Lobby or Walmart). The LDS cannery is up by Atlanta and you do not have to be a member of the church.
Phil
“A few honest men are better than numbers.”
—Oliver Cromwell (Patriots p16)

"The Eighth Commandment. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."
philandjudi
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby phartech72 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:53 pm

Hey thanks everyone. There are a lot of good ideas and I am going to try everyone of them. I have been prepping only a few months but I have got some of the essentials I think I would need for my family to survive for a while. I am glad I found this site now I feel like I am not alone. I will show my hubby some of the post and see what happens. He is not against the idea of prepping but I don't think he realizes the importance of prepping.
Region 6,Jones County
phartech72

Postby mr bill » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:40 pm

Welcome phartech72. Nice to have yet another Georgian on board. You will find all kinds of information here. If you have questions just ask. You will usually get some pretty good answers and occasionally an opinion or two. Be sure to check the Georgia Preppers Network for even more stuff.
Leader zone 5, Clarke County
P!
mr bill

Postby medic72 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:23 pm

"If you really want the family to get on board...lol...shut the power and water off for several hours and tell them it is their turn to cook dinner."

thats the way to do it right there :)

welcome from SE Georgia!

my family outside of the family with me here in ga think im a little (haha really?) but they all tell me, "i'm just coming to your house if it happens" and of course my answer is well i hope you can dodge hot lead :)

always get fired up :)
Master Mason
U.S Paratrooper
NREMT-Paramedic
Region 12 Leader
medic72
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: Townsend (southeast) Georgia/Mcintosh County/ Region 12

Postby Ravenwood1950 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:17 am

Medic72, You need to tell family or friends like I do...It will be great if you come to my house in a disaster...but remember to bring YOUR year's supply with you! LOL.
We do the best we can.
Ravenwood
Spalding County, Georgia
Region 3 South Metro Area
Emergency Preparedness - spanning the gap between "it won't happen to me" and "we're all going to die!"
Ravenwood1950
Georgia State Moderator
Georgia State Moderator

Return to Check In Here Georgia Preppers