• Advertisement

Roll Call For March 5 2011

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderator: Ravenwood1950

Re: Roll Call For March 5 2011

Postby genxdawg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:43 pm

We have been tremendously productive since our last check-in. Completed a three day tactical getaway last week for weapons training on various weapons systems...AR rifles, pistols, long range rifles, shotguns...complete with training in tactical movement (team and individual), room clearing and movement in, in and out of and around vehicles. We also trained in various camp craft skills and communication. REALLY productive and educational and served to build team concepts w/ possible future permanent group members. Mrs. GXD also purchased a new sidearm last week and was able to put it through its paces in an actual fluid environment. :thumbsup: Ordered new pieces of kit this week that should arrive tomorrow and continued to formulate a list for our upcoming food supplies and storage shopping trip.
“You can ignore reality,but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” -Ayn Rand
Region 5
genxdawg

Postby AmericanCrier » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:22 pm

Everyone:

Just got a Roll Call Email - so this is a little new to me:

Joined the Preppers Forum not too long ago because I was trying to publicize some websites I have been putting together...(www.americancrier.com , www.gavannafamilyfarms.com , and some more coming...) <- that was my plug - but truth is, more effort than it is worth...trying some other new things at the same time...

This is what I have been doing:

Building shelves in my basement like crazy.
Buying 4 to 6 months worth of "standard" food and typical supplies (doing it through sales and coupons) - we are just about there.
Polishing off recipes so that the food is actually consumed - we have about 6 weeks worth of recipes put together that we just rotate - something different each day - tasty stuff - but a ton of work.
Doing the garden thing - trying to substitute buying fresh stuff with stuff I can grow / freeze - although I have five acres, I am starting with raised beds off the kitchen - much of the acres are hills and forest (and deer, turkeys, rabbits).
Thinking about a solar generator to power the freezer / fridge in case of something bad happens (other than an EMP) - I would hate to see the frozen food rot.
Keeping my chickens alive and kicking - a dozen eggs a day - more that we can eat.
Building a pig pen this spring - an old timer told me that if you didn't grow your own meat, then your didn't eat meat (some decades ago I am sure - could happen again).
Considering putting in a Tilapia pen / fresh water shrimp pen.
Evaluating greenhouse designs.

Finally, looking at grapes and wine making - beer is going to get way too expensive - that is my medicine.

Cheers,

Jim - White, GA.
AmericanCrier

Postby koeelvry » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:45 pm

I'm still looking for a piece of Tennessee property to farm later this year. In the mean time, have bought another grain grinder and a corn sheller. I'm looking for a place to buy bulk seed corn for storage. Since I'm planning to move in the next few months, I have been spending more time helping friends here try to get their preps in order and help with weapons & ammo purchasing and training.otherwise, am spending alot of time studying topics on small farms and other off the grid stuff.
Henderson County
Retired LEO & Other Stuff

NEVER SQUAT WHILE WEARING YOUR SPURS

IF YOU SIT ON THE FENCE, YOU WILL END UP BEING CAUGHT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE.
koeelvry
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby TomChemEngineer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:00 pm

OK, received the email and am responding.

Added to Food Storage more rice, beans, spices, spaghetti sauce, pasta, canned meats and fish,
Added to water storage in 2 liter bottles and am planning a downspout conversion to rain barrels for future watering needs.
Planning out a basement room conversion to a "Prep Bungalow".
Planning the reinforcement of doors and enhanced security for windows. Got all locks changed and keyed identically.
Refurbished some uninterruptable power supplies for short term electrical outages and put them in a library room to run communications and necessities when electricity goes off.
Tilled garden plot on south side of house, preparing for planting some three-sisters.
Going over reading materials with my son, getting him more on-board.
Continually rotate gasolin storage and exercise the generator every weekend to do "yardwork" that requires electrical appliances like hedge trimmers. Neighbors think that I have no outside outlets, when I am really exercising the genny.
Radio-checked, pretty much a weekly occurrence for the walkie-talkies.
Trying to listen to short wave, but the little unit pulls in a bunch of foreign language stuff. Why can't there be a "Prepper Shortwave Broadcast"?
Cleaned the weapons and instructed son in same.
Went through the 3 day kit and replaced some energy bars, and bought the second canteen for the belt that has the First aid kit, compass, canteen 1, butt pack, canteen 2, holster (removable for OPSEC hikes), and M-16 magazine holder (also removable for opsec).
Exercised and checked the rechargeable flashlights, stowed replacement bulbs in proper place. Exercised the headlamp, and put replacement batteries in proper place.
OK, that is enough. It is a good hobby, a deadly serious hobby. It supports "camping" and "outdoors" and "hunting" lifestyles without seeming too wacky to outsiders. And, it is something that is done regularly, not in spurts.
TomChemEngineer
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby TomChemEngineer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Oh, also, resupplied the house First Aid Kit with alcohol, gauze pads, vaseline/ cotton balls, and bacitracin ointment. Wanted to get adhesive tape, but it was not on sale. Going to have to get a bigger (or a second) bag for the house first aid kits pretty soon.
TomChemEngineer
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby tigger2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:11 pm

Checking in. We got some extra coffee on sale. Got to have the coffee.
Red Queen: I can give you the code, but first you must do something for me.
Alice: What?
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Southeast Georgia-Appling County

Postby susietja » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Responding to roll call. Haven't been on in a long time due to health issues, but things are improving! Have purchased a Taurus 24/7 .40, plus ammo, to go with the 686 and the 223. Not too bad for an old (48) single chick! :gunshooting: I continue stocking the pantry with non perishable goods, but being in an apartment, don't have land for planting. Maybe somebody has ideas for container planting? Would love to come to a meeting and meet all of you. Always open for ideas, advice and improvement!
"The two most dangerous things in the world are a Fool with Power, and a monkey with a gun."

Region 9 Appling County
susietja

Postby georgiadog92 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:16 pm

OK, most of you guys out prep me 100 fold...my efforts seem almost futile compared to most on these boards, but I do what I can as a single mom that just took a 25% pay cut...it's rough!!!

Added some more canned goods...some weeks it's only 5-6 cans. Also added several more 2 quart plastic juice bottles that I washed and filled with tap water to my water storage.

A prep item that I had not previously considered was grossly brought to my attention while cleaning up after my 7 year old who clearly had the flu or some kind of stomach bug...GATORADE or some type of electrolyte replacement drink probably needs to be stocked in my preps as well!!!

Oh, and about a month ago I bought an old pop up camper that needs a little work but is functional in its current state. Hope never to have to bug out, but now I have a mini house on wheels in necessary!!

Hope everyone has a great week!
"If you are looking for a helping hand, you'd better look to the end of your arm"

Region 3 Cobb
georgiadog92
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby farside » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:52 pm

Nice to see you on the Georgia forum tigger. Welcome back to Americancrier and Susieja! Hope to see more of you no the forum. If you can make it, we are having a meet and greet this Saturday at 1pm. It's that the Golden corral in Kennesaw on Barrett Parkway. You are all welcome to attend.
IDEAS ARE A DIME A DOZEN - PEOPLE WHO PUT THEM INTO ACTION ARE PRICELESS.
South Metro Region
State Counsel Chairman
Retired Combat Infantry NCO
farside
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby GeorgiaRebel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Checking in from the Independent State of Dade

Dade County
GeorgiaRebel
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby laladybug » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Everyone, I too am rather new but so far I have really enjoyed your forum. I've been a member at Homesteading Today for many years and I'm glad to also find a local forum to frequent in addition to HT. I'm looking to learn more about preserving the harvest and growing a bigger garden. We've got a few trays of tomatoes, herbs, green bell peppers, and more as well as planted a couple marionberry bushes, egyptian walking onions, and comfrey. Stocking up on preps has been rather difficult due to a recent moth invasion in my kitchen (Thanks Wal-Mart =D) and failing to properly package my beans so they have little white things in the bottom of bag now(assuming this is some type of insect damage but not sure). Then of course we also have 2 teens(bottomless eating machines) and 2 little ones so hiding anything from them has been rough going. The only things I can seem to keep them out of is the tomato juice cans and canned salmon lol. Can anyone direct me to any place local to get firearm training and learn other skills? I do just fine with my .22 but haven't used the better half's 30.30 yet...

Henry/Rockdale/Newton area
laladybug

Postby urbd115 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:38 pm

I have been stocking up on food supplies a lot in the past month, though after filing my taxes for this year I'm a bit on the "broke side" of life...gas prices are ridiculous and I know it is only going to get worse. Keeping my head above water seems to be the only thing I can truly focus on right now.

:-) urbd115 (-:
urbd115

Postby Seeker2012 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:14 pm

Alive and well. Increasing productivity 500%---Must stay focused on the coming events which really don't look good!!! I hope all Georgia Preppers are well ! Might get some flooding up here in Dahlonega-I live in a valley with 5 creeks going through it so I am prone to flooding ! When I get the first crops in I will get back to contributing more my friends!! Stand Tall!! Here you go Bill, North Carolina’s Farmer Freedom Act criminalizes S.510 http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... #more-6846
( "A Wise Man's Day is Worth a Fools Life" ) and ("One Stands for Nothing will Fall for Anything") Everything is presented at face value, it is you who must research and come to a sound conclusion ( Don't Shoot The Messenger ) "If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson
Seeker2012

Postby Madelyn0915 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:27 pm

New to this site, not new to prepping. Spent last 40 years learning how to live off the grid. Have landscaped in food/herbs including blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, asparagus, chocolate mint, catnip, rosemary, lemon thyme, oregano, lavender, and more. Have question about safety of Bartow County dam breach with earthquake affect from New Madrid fault/Mississippi River. :wave:
Madelyn0915

Postby philandjudi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Welcome John
Listen to that little voice. If and when you're ready we are a good bunch of folks. Many oportunities to meet in the future. Read on.
“A few honest men are better than numbers.”
—Oliver Cromwell (Patriots p16)

"The Eighth Commandment. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor."
philandjudi
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to Check In Here Georgia Preppers