• Advertisement

Roll Call For March 5 2011

Please introduce yourself here.

Moderator: Ravenwood1950

Re: Roll Call For March 5 2011

Postby Ramblinwreck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Filled a couple of 55 gallon drums with off road diesel and spent $2K on ammo. We also bought a pressure cooker and enough heirloom seed to plant gardens for a couple of years even if we don't create our own. I'm ordering a manual well pump so we'll have water if the power goes out and considering buying a wood cook stove.

Praying for the best but preparing for the worst.
[b][i]Ben Brandon[/i][/b]
NRA Instructor
Project Appleseed Instructor

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis
Ramblinwreck

Postby phartech72 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Still prepping food and water. Got the raised bed garden ready to go.Finally got the family on board.That was a major accomplishment.
Region 6,Jones County
phartech72

Postby tigger2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 pm

Georgia,
You doing good. 5-6 cans of whatever beats the heck out of nothing. You keep that up and you will be there in less time than you think. The cans add up.If you are making it and getting a little extra, that is good. That is excellent.
Red Queen: I can give you the code, but first you must do something for me.
Alice: What?
Red Queen: One of your group has been infected. I require her life for the code.

Resident Evil

Region 1
tigger2
Prepper Emeritus

Postby CatWoman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 pm

I really like the comradery on here, I too am just making baby steps and I appreciate how so many of you give kind support to others. Almost makes me want to sing "Kumbaya"...ALMOST. :-)

Did some planting in my raised beds (currently have 4 stacks of tire to used for plantings, more soon to be filled with soil), chose to plant broccoli, butter lettuce, red lettuce, spinach, green onions, and radishes. I am bringing home a constant source of manure this week...it is a Lionhead rabbit. I just drew up the plan for the pen/hutch and I will have it ready for the adorable fluffy bunny soon, er, umm, it's a manure supplier, NOT a cute rabbit. AND, no to my husband, farside, and dragonturtle, he will not be named Stew, ever, I hope.

Made 10 gallons of clothes washing liquid for $1.06. The recipe is actually for 5 gallons, but it is to be mixed 50/50 with water before using. Here is the recipe if anyone is interested:

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine
4 Cups - hot tap water
1 Bar Clothes soap (found in detergent aisle at grocery store, brands are usually Zote or Fels-Naptha, the BIG Zote bar equals 2 bars)
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (must be Washing Soda, Baking Soda won't work, must be SodiumCarbonate)
½ Cup Borax

Grate the bar of soap into the saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted. Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken. This recipe should be stirred each time you go to reload your empty detergent bottle. Only fill your bottle 1/2 way with the soap, then the other 1/2 with water. Shake before each use.
Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads) -Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
Clayton County, Region 3
CatWoman

Postby farside » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks for the soap recipes. OK what about naming it DInner after fatting it up. :rofl: LOL I do love rubbit shew.
IDEAS ARE A DIME A DOZEN - PEOPLE WHO PUT THEM INTO ACTION ARE PRICELESS.
South Metro Region
State Counsel Chairman
Retired Combat Infantry NCO
farside
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby philandjudi » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:08 am

Already have Zote bars vacuum packed in my store room. Judi will use only Tide until there is no more, lol. Got lots of Tide really cheap last year.
Wabbit that waskally Wabbit
philandjudi
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby mcadams » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:45 am

still here, and still stock piling.
Region 2 Lumpkin County
mcadams

Postby medic72 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:21 pm

hey everyone, glad to have all the new preppers!

I have seen many quotes on how little people have compared to others on this board, well ill tell ya all that the major victory for you all is that you have opend your eyes and are now 100% more preppared than you were before you saw the light, your mindset is the most important thing you can have to begin with. Now that you have the info (so so so much on this site) you can begin to put away and prepare in whatever fashion you have available to you. even if its a case of water a week and a few instant potato packs :)

good luck and we are always here for your questions and your friendship!

brian
Master Mason
U.S Paratrooper
NREMT-Paramedic
Region 12 Leader
medic72
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Location: Townsend (southeast) Georgia/Mcintosh County/ Region 12

Postby Zguns » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 pm

Im still here looking forward to a get together soon. Planted some strawberries apple trees and blackberries. Completely closed in the chicken coop i had a possum problem still havent caught it but the traps are set. Got some more ammo at deercreek gunshop in marietta they just got a lot of 762 39. I also dug holes to store gas in my drums and purchased about 20 gallons in some cans.. hope to finish up with that project this weekend. Take care everybody and remember Proper Planning Prevents tinkle Poor Performance!!! :gunsmile:
Zguns

Postby farside » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:27 pm

Mcadam and Zgun, hope you both can make the meet and greet on Saturday 1pm. At the Golden Corrral on Barrett parkway in Kennesaw.
IDEAS ARE A DIME A DOZEN - PEOPLE WHO PUT THEM INTO ACTION ARE PRICELESS.
South Metro Region
State Counsel Chairman
Retired Combat Infantry NCO
farside
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby prepperaunt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:01 am

Cleaned out the blueberry patch before it started to rain. Planted 5 fruit trees and 2 grape vines. Got a wood heater this winter. Always looking for sales to stock up pantry. Got a treadle sewing machine last fall, but need to get new belts and find a bobbin holder for it. I've been prepping for 2-3 years, but it seems like I'll never have enough. I'm like Judi, I like my Tide too. I have several bars of fels naphta, and a few boxes of washing soda and borax for when it's too expensive to buy Tide. I look for it on sale too.
prepperaunt

Postby Ravenwood1950 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:06 pm

So great to see some new folks and even better to see some long absent folks!! That is what the weekly Roll Call is all for members...just so we know you are still around, acitve or semi-active and that you are ok!! If or when the time comes we may need to depend on each other and regular contact between members builds trust. Please do check in even if all you say is..."I am still here and doing ok".
Thanks
Ravenwood
Spalding County, Georgia
Region 3 South Metro Area
Emergency Preparedness - spanning the gap between "it won't happen to me" and "we're all going to die!"
Ravenwood1950
Georgia State Moderator
Georgia State Moderator

Postby Terrco » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:40 pm

Busy campers here.
Bought 2 Great Pyrenese pups for security. We put up additional fencing for security (ended up with a fractured skull and staples in my head during that project). We built a natural air flow root celler and pantry. Bought more grains and other food staples. We got a wood burning cook stove. Bought a hand powered grain mill. Stocked up on non-electric hand tools.
[color=#FF0000][b]Dade County, Region I Leader[/b][/color]
Terrco

Postby TomChemEngineer » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Terrco wrote:Busy campers here.
Bought 2 Great Pyrenese pups for security. We put up additional fencing for security (ended up with a fractured skull and staples in my head during that project). We built a natural air flow root celler and pantry. Bought more grains and other food staples. We got a wood burning cook stove. Bought a hand powered grain mill. Stocked up on non-electric hand tools.

Sounds like a story needs shared about the fracture! What kind of Grain Mill... i see a lot of them advertised and the prices of some seem pretty high. I don't want to mill 50 pounds of grain a day, just want one for a couple of loaves of bread a week.
TomChemEngineer
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby jon7035 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Brand new to prepping, started back in December. I've been building up food storage, salt, sugar, flour, wheat, canned foods. Started a spring garden and have more raised beds that I will be planting more in. Bought some food grade barrels for rainwater harvesting. I need to modify my gutters. Every time we empty a gallon of the kid's apple juice, I wash it and fill it up with water. I've also been stocking up on mason jars, bought a chest freezer. Just feels like there's so much to do.
jon7035

PreviousNext

Return to Check In Here Georgia Preppers