• Advertisement

Are you paying attention?

Post general topics, news and weather here

Moderator: Ravenwood1950

Are you paying attention?

Postby genxdawg » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:08 pm

I hope everyone is paying attention to what is going on in Japan in the aftermath of the devastating 8.9 earthquake and tsunami on Friday. The images and stories coming out of Japan are shocking and heartbreaking. CNN has done a very good job of covering the events and has really attempted to bring the viewer first person accounts of events and has gotten reporters in the areas impacted that are giving up to the minute details of how this tragedy is unfolding.

I tell you all of this to share with you what I've noticed. Everything that we think of when we think of preparedness is happening right now in Japan. Every situation that you may have considered that has motivated you to get ready for when a disaster strikes is playing out in front of our eyes right now.

No electricity. No drinking water. No communications. No sanitation. Food shortages. Shortage of medical supplies. No gasoline. No public transportation. Being stranded away from home with miles of destruction between you and your destination. All of the local stores are empty or destroyed. Mass movements of people away from the devastated and impacted areas.

If that isn't enough to get your attention, this thought ought to drive the point home to you. Japan is a preparedness culture that spends BILLIONS of dollars annually on infrastructure and disaster response in which the population has a very strong help yourself/help thy neighbor spirit and a real sense of social harmony. Still, this country and its people find themselves crippled by this natural disaster.

I would like to mention that I have been overwhelmingly impressed by how the Japanese people have responded to these events. There have been no instances of civil unrest, looting or increased violence or crime reported in the days since the disaster. This speaks to the honor and community of the Japanese people. They understand that actions like those benefit no one in such desperate times.

Unfortunately, our country does not share these preparedness qualities with Japan. For years, the United States just has not made preparedness and strength of infrastructure a priority. Because of this, America is at even greater risk if/when a major calamity strikes.

Simply because you are reading this message, you should count yourself fortunate that you are among the 10 percent (I'm being generous) of the US population that is aware that bad things can and do happen from time to time and because of that fact have chosen to begin to take steps towards readiness for you and your families. I am glad you are here. You are already a step ahead.

The situation in Japan is awful and we all wish everyone over there only the very best as they try to recover from this devastating event. I only urge you to not let their peril and strife pass without you using it to help you gain some understanding of the struggles that can become very real all too quickly.

Take care out there.
“You can ignore reality,but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” -Ayn Rand
Region 5
genxdawg

Re: Are you paying attention?

Postby JayJay » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:52 pm

~~~Unfortunately, our country does not share these preparedness qualities with Japan. For years, the United States just has not made preparedness and strength of infrastructure a priority.~~~

Hey, genx...I read our nation, whichever dept is responsible, won't even spend for inexpensive K103 tablets...what does that say about the concern level??
The states with reactor facilities are arguing it's not their responsibility...so, who's is it??
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 am

Great post. I thought this definitely worth posting on the main APN blog: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... ntion.html
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby koeelvry » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:30 am

What's really impressed me is the lack of whining, complaints about the govt not doing enough or the finger pointing / blame game coming from the japanese people. We aready know how long people here would go before that started and the media would be fixated on it.
Henderson County
Retired LEO & Other Stuff

NEVER SQUAT WHILE WEARING YOUR SPURS

IF YOU SIT ON THE FENCE, YOU WILL END UP BEING CAUGHT RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE.
koeelvry
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby farside » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:09 am

You have to give the Japanese people credit for the way they are reacting to this disaster. I would hope we as a people we would do half as well. But I'm not betting on it.
IDEAS ARE A DIME A DOZEN - PEOPLE WHO PUT THEM INTO ACTION ARE PRICELESS.
South Metro Region
State Counsel Chairman
Retired Combat Infantry NCO
farside
Georgia Preppers Network
Georgia Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:16 am

One of the best opinion pieces I've read in a long time, genxdawg. Blunt, honest and refreshing.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby pammypoo32 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:23 am

I have noticed the dignity the Japanese people are showing in this horrible time... they may be falling apart inside but they show a beautiful restraint and never lose their wonderful manners... I'm afraid I would/will not be able to say the same should such a tragedy strike the United States. This saddens me greatly.
www.southernheartsoaps.com - Southern Heart Soaps Lotions and Potions
http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/ - Canning, Preserving and Long Term Food Storage
Proverbs 31:12-31
pammypoo32

Postby Atreus » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:22 am

It's sad to see so many people having to go through such a disaster but we should at least see what we can learn from how they deal with it.
There won't be a declared "SHTF" day so be prepared.
Atreus
Michigan State Moderator
Michigan State Moderator

Postby gypsy276 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Great article genxdawg !!! For pammypoo32 and farside:It is sad but true,from what I encounter is that most of the citizens of this country would not fare well at all if/when a major disaster should occur here.Unfortunately,when I talk to people about disaster preparedness the common response is that they will deal with it when it occurs.Why plan for something that may not happen? (Note: I start out easy like a power outage or big snow storm.)
And,of course,if it is a major disaster,they will "hang in there" or "go to some friends /relatives place" until help arrives from the Federal,state,or local government ,Red Cross,FEMA etc..It is frightening that people still rely on some outside agency to take care of them.
To JayJay :As far as the states taking responsibility for their nuclear reactors:the taxpayer.We will get to subsidize some mega-corporation to operate and maintain the reactors,problem solved.(Right)
Am I paying attention?You can count on it!(I do practice OPSEC !)
gypsy276

Postby violet » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:13 pm

[quote]The states with reactor facilities are arguing it's not their responsibility...so, who's is it??[/quote]

I figured it was my responsibility, so I have some in my preps. I know we could have a lengthy debate about this, but I'm so tired of the nanny state mentality. I would agree that the people who could potentially be affected by a reactor facility disaster should be informed and told what to do in an emergency. People should be educated to know that they should have potassium iodide tablets on hand and where to get them. This information could be included with their electric bill every month. Perhaps the electric company could supply an initial dose for the family when service is started, then the customer could get the next batch when they expire.

FYI, I ordered some last year online at Nukepills.com :D pack of 14 tablets for $9.99 plus shipping. Their shelf life is 6 years.
To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
violet
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby Ravenwood1950 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:57 pm

As I have always said, "I will be ok if bad folks will just leave me alone when something bad happens". Would that all our citizens would behave as the brave Japanese are in this dreadful crisis!! That is why it is so important to build trust and MAG in good times...so we know someone will have our backs when trouble comes. Great post genxdawg!! :clap: Ravenwood
Spalding County, Georgia
Region 3 South Metro Area
Emergency Preparedness - spanning the gap between "it won't happen to me" and "we're all going to die!"
Ravenwood1950
Georgia State Moderator
Georgia State Moderator

Postby Vikinginc » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:54 pm

It has been an eye opener for many, but Katrina was a severe wakeup for me. I was a farm kid who retired from the military. I thought I could make it through most anything, but I realized mud is not real nutritious. It is hard to produce enough stuff to be prepared to bug out or stay. luckily when I was young my grandfather taught me ability and capability was worth more than money.
Vikinginc

Return to Georgia Discussion, News, and Weather