• Advertisement

Hawaii Preppers Roll Call 1/15/2012

Please introduce yourself here.

Hawaii Preppers Roll Call 1/15/2012

Postby admin » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:55 pm

The APN is conducting a Network-wide Roll Call. All Preppers Please Respond.

Hawaii Preppers,

Please respond to this post and let us know what you've been doing to prepare lately. Share any tips, ideas or educational information that you might have for others.

Don't forget to check back to your state group regularly so you can interact with fellow members. This is very important, checking in frequently will ensure that you don't miss any new members. If you are interested in starting or joining a meetup, be sure to check into your state meetup section as well.

*Update, We now have a video that shows you step by step how to join your states usergroup and add your states tag to your avatar. Please watch the following video

-------------------------------------------------------------
What you can do to support the APN

1) Check out our new Webstore! Visit: Http://www.Store.PreppersNetwork.com If you are looking for food storage, we've got it! In the store you will find an excellent lineup of the major food storage brands: Mountain House, Alpine Aire, Backpackers Pantry, Wise Food Storage, and Tomorrows Harvest. We even have some awesome Brear Grylls Products, Water storage and purifiers and several more survival and preparedness supplies. We will always be adding new products, including a new proposed lineup of products made by fellow Preppers, for Preppers. Next time you add to your preps, be sure to remember the APN!

2) Become a Contributing blogger for the APN. New content to our blogs means more information to share with others. More content and information will attract more traffic and will bring more members to join your states group. More fellow members means more people for you to network with. And what's more is we even offer you an income opportunity for your blog posts as well as links back to your own site so that YOU can get more traffic to YOUR site as well! Here is more detail about the blogging opportunity:
http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/2012/01/bloggers-needed-for-apn.html

Here is a video that will walk you step by step to becoming a contributing blogger:

Check out some of our new blogs!

http://Alabama.PreppersNetwork.com
http://Alaska.PreppersNetwork.com
http://Arizona.PreppersNetwork.com
http://Georgia.PreppersNetwork.com
http://Illinois.PreppersNetwork.com
http://Indiana.PreppersNetwork.com
http://Massachusetts.PreppersNetwork.com
http://NorthCarolina.PreppersNetwork.com
http://Ohio.PreppersNetwork.com
http://Oregon.PreppersNetwork.com
http://Pennsylvania.PreppersNetwork.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to answer the Roll Call! Simply reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prepare.
admin

Re: Hawaii Preppers Roll Call 1/15/2012

Postby Aloha2U » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:25 pm

Been busy juggling work, preps and everday life. Here's a list of preps things that I have been keeping up on. Organizing and rotating canned goods. As a few of them begin to come around the expiration date instead of throwing them out I dehydrate the canned fruits and vege's turning them into trail mixes and putting back the rest. Keeping an eye on food prices I have noticed the rise in all food items canned or not, knowing that the prices are set to rise even moreso I stock up utilizing coupons and sales. This years resolution for myself is a "budget diet", which by the way I am currently sticking to so far so good! Saving much needed funds for preps. Have also been putting back some funds but not in the bank, instead in a secure place. Also been investing in wheat pennies, silver and not quite gold but I have rid most of my gold jewelry and liquidated them out for cash since the price of gold is high. I realize that I will not be able to eat my jewelry so that was a deciding factor in itself. It was very easy for me to "let go" of this because I won't be able to eat it. Food is the most valueable commodity in my books. I need to reconstruct my edible garden due to 2 new shelter dogs we have adopted from last October. They have totally demolished my entire yard and garden, so I have been busy trying to barricade the dogs from my garden. Spring is right around the bend and I don't want any of my seedlings and plants thrashed, it's an ongoing process with the two monkeys digging up the garden constantly. Have also been busy waking up people that I work with and have noticed a lot of them becoming aware of the plight that USA is in. Firearms is another area that needs addressing on our part (hubby and I), The firearms laws in Hawaii is ridiculously strict but is attainable. There are many people here that do have firearms illegally and legally. Illegally, because of the strict laws-Hawaii has one of the worst firearms laws in the USA.

Ideally somehow I'd like to get a group meet-up but not too sure how many preppers out here are willing to attend. I am also keeping an eye and ear on all that is happening globally, nationwide and from my state. I'm sure there are preppers across the state and on the outer islands hopefully they will form group meet-ups and maybe one day soon all the islands preppers can come together as a huge prepper group meet-up on Oahu. Pets are another topic to keep up with regarding preps for them. I am continuously prepping for my cats and dogs insuring their food storage and needs are met before ours. I've weened most of them off of the vet by taking proper care of them and feeding them with home organic cooked meals and baked treats for pets only. I have a wide variety of prepper info books in all topics that is also worth gold in my books. I have also constructed a family preppers manual in case I need to grab-and-go, all the info in it is there from documents, water, shelter, food, nuclear, first aid, pets, how-to's, firearms/self-defense, etc. I'm probably forgetting some other stuff here but this is just a few of the prepper things I've been keeping up on. Oh, yes I've stocked up quite a bit on H2o but continue to do so. I need a new rain barrel due to the dogs chewing the the hose connected to it UGH! :wave:
When the need arises the time to prepare has passed
Aloha2U
Hawaii Preppers Network
Hawaii Preppers Network

Postby avmichaels » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:09 am

Not many HI peeps here! Our biggest problem could be lack of supplies from the mainland if something happens there. Stock up on your favorite storable foods, vegetable seeds, soaps and toilet paper.

Been digging up more of our lawn and planting more veggies - and fighting off the wild turkeys who like to nibble on them. But, in a SHTF scenario, will be nice to have the turkeys so we feed them occasionally too to keep them coming over here. Gathering a few more preps for our medical supplies like essential oils and herbal extracts. Read up on Grapefruit Seed Extract (GSE), olive leaf extract, oregano oil and something called MMS - miracle mineral solution. Some chinese medicine too - yunnan baiyao powder for coagulating blood from cuts and gashes, much cheaper than the Quikclot and very effective. Ching Wan Hung burn ointment also excellent, I can personally attest to. All of these available on Amazon.

Repacked our BOBs and packed little backpacks for our dogs with food, water and a few medicines for them. Beefed out my emergency bag for my car. Never let our cars go under half a tank. Just bought some walkie talkies, rechargeable batteries and solar chargers. Great solar lamps from d.light on amazon, we actually use them on our lanai in the evenings. Store all our electronics in a steel trash can lined with cardboard in case of EMP. Couldn't hurt, and have to store somewhere anyway. Happy prepping folks - hope we never have to use it.
http://hawaiibeprepared.wordpress.com
avmichaels
Hawaii Preppers Network
Hawaii Preppers Network

Postby yeti » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:54 am

Big Island -- Lovely 5.0 little earthquake we just had... We had friends visiting. I turned of the gas stove, and looked at the china hutch to make sure it wasn't going to start tipping over. Everyone else stopped talking for a second, laughed, then said: "Hmmm, that's a pretty good one." and "Not bad..." and "Oh, good, it's an earthquake -- thought I'd had too much beer..." We're pretty laid back here. Heh. Guess I'll go up and check on the water catchment system tomorrow, make sure the downspouts didn't shake loose, or something. Prepping? Been broke lately, so just inventory and re-prioritizing, mostly: some supplies are getting used up much faster than anticipated, and so need to be replenished threefold, and some are being used less... I *have* been continuing my collecting of canning jars (mostly quarts and pints) from rummage and yard sales, and from Freecycle and Craigslist now and then. I'd like to invest in some reusable lids for canning, too. A neighbor was sharing use of a cane press a few months ago, and we were all impressed with how MUCH very sweet juice comes out of a three foot length of sugar cane -- all the neighbors went home and started planting more sugar cane immediately (kinda easy since it grows wild on the side of the road in places). Our relatively new 12 volt DC fridge/freezer is working out beautifully, although it's using up most of the spare electricity we produce with our small PV system, so a new panel or two and a few more golf cart batteries are in my future, I can tell. Nice not to be buying so much propane every month, though. Still baking all our bread, don't think we can go back to store-bought now, the home-made stuff is so much tastier! Someone here posted that stocking up on stuff that comes from the Mainland would be prudent, should something happen over there, or should shipping go down for whatever reason. I'd like to add to that idea, that it's not all food and soaps and bandaids, folks -- I have stashed: needles of all kinds, shoelaces, 12d 3 1/4 inch nails and deck screws for future construction, plumbing bits and pieces, extension cords and wire, rope of various sizes, 2-cycle oil, fuel stabilizer (I like Seafoam best), and all sorts of tools including cordless power tools (since we have off-grid solar power), rechargeable batteries in all sizes and chargers for them, a larger meat grinder, a grain mill, brewing buckets for beer-making, a 30-quart pressure canner, and a load of medical and first aid supplies (including vitamins, ibuprofen, Tylenol, vaseline, antibiotics, etc), I even have a dozen square cloth baby diapers (for cheese and jelly making), and etc, etc... My Do-It-Yourself library is pretty extensive by now, too. Knowledge is power. Skills are even better, but I live in a small super-rural neighborhood where the skills are varied and practical when you take in the neighborhood as a whole, so we feel pretty good about things here. We don't have rabbits, and I think that may be up to me, so I suppose I need to think about building those hutches, too... Hope more folks post a response to this Roll Call. :-)
yeti
Hawaii Preppers Network
Hawaii Preppers Network

Postby alohafamily » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:49 pm

ALOHA, NEW TO THE BLOG. I HAVE STARTED TO PREP LIVING HERE IN SOUTH KONA IT IS A LONG WAY FROM TOWN. I LIKE THE IDEA OF HAVING MY OWN STORE HERE AT HOME. LOOKING FORWARD TO READING WHAT PEOPLE ARE DOING TO PREPARE.
alohafamily

Postby 808PREPPER » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:16 am

Checking in to see how this site goes and share ideas.....Have a great weekend all

2/19/12@20:54
What’s up Gang!
I would like to talk about food storage for emergency situations. Canned goods are great but you know living in Hawaii how important rice is. So what you could do is put some away for a rainy day using 5 gallon buckets. Buckets can be purchased from local stores like “Wal*mart” or our friends at “Be Ready”. You could also check with your local bakeries to see if you can get some at no cost. Try to think outside of the box and in the end it could save you. Any 5 gallon bucket that has held food items should be food grade and good to go. I have also heard of people using drywall compound buckets. These are not food grade but water based, that brings me to our next item Mylar 5 gallon bags and 2000cc, O2 Oxygen absorbers. They have smaller O2 absorbers and if that’s what you got just double up on them. 2000cc is the recommended for 5 gallon buckets. Take your 5 gallon bucket wash and dry them, place one Mylar bag inside, plug in your clothes iron and set to about a 5, pour 25lbs of rice into your Mylar bag, squeeze out as much air as you can. Now take a piece of wood about 1” wide (2x4 will work, use the 1 ½ side) now take your iron and iron the top of your Mylar bag leaving about 3” un-ironed. Ok drop one 2000cc O2 absorber into the bag. Take shop vac or house vacuum hose and insert into 3” opening in Mylar. Note: be sure to wash the vacuum hose before you stick it into the bag. Have someone pulse the vacuum on/off couple times until most of the air is removed. Pull hose out and iron remaining 3” to complete the seal. Let your bucket sit overnight and check for good seal. The Mylar should have a shrink wrap appearance and that means your seal is good. Now tuck in Mylar into the bucket and place the empty rice bag on top and cover. The rice bag is included in the bucket so you have the serving size, number of servings per bag, calories and nutritional data. Hope this had been helpful for some of you. This is not a “How to do it” but a “way to do it.”
God Bless & Be Safe,
808PREPPER
808PREPPER

Postby undauntedsoul » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:01 pm

Aloha 808 and others!

I just posted a newbie announcement being one more HI prepper in our midst:

viewtopic.php?f=289&t=19801
SHEEPLE? Gold? FIAT currency? Economic collapse?
This well-researched documentary will likely surprise you and change your opinion about many things:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt1cayx0hs
undauntedsoul

Postby jenicebaalman52 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:21 am

jennybaalman52: brand-new to site..WAY COOL
jenicebaalman52
Hawaii Preppers Network
Hawaii Preppers Network

Postby vivors12 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:59 am

I thought ," better be safe than sorry ". I couldn't see nor tell the future but it gives me a strong will to prepare for the worse to come. I know it is a broad subject to cover, a lot of areas to think about, that is why I am seeking all the help I can get and those serious enough to share their ideas and wisdom. Much is required in a very spare time. Thank you.
vivors12

Postby Makoa216 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:03 pm

Aloha from Las Vegas!!

I retired from the military just over a year ago and wife decided that she wants to move back to Hawaii. So looking forward in meeting like minded people... I've been a "closet" prepper for a few years now and would like to learn more. So come June I'll be back in the islands with a lot of free time on my hands... I would be very interested if there will be meet-ups for some type of seminar that someone may be giving. So take care everyone and as always, "Hope for the best, but always prepare for the worst"...
Makoa216

Postby Jercol » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Aloha!

New to the site and new to prepping. I was stationed here with the military and like it so much that when my contract ran out I decided to stay for a while. I just starting putting some effort into prepping a couple months ago and just found this site today. There are forums all over the place but until now I hadn't had much luck finding other preppers in Hawaii. So, I'm very interested in exchanging tips, tricks, and ideas with all of you!

Thanks!
New prepper living in Hawaii
http://jercolsbacktobasics.blogspot.com/
Jercol

Postby II2HE4_808prepper » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:44 am

Aloha Preppers!

I'm glad I found this site. I hope to learn more from here and hope that there will be more preppers joinning as well. My Husband and I have been trying to get Family and friends involved but they don't seem to like the idea. Glad to see we are not alone.

A lot has been going on these past few years. Prices in food and Gas has been going up and noticed that a lot of stores have been putting up 72 hour kits, first aid kits, etc. on their shelves. Honestly, we havn't started prepping until we watched "Doomsday Preppers", it never crossed our minds and we never knew people did this. I'm glad the show came out, we'd still probably be in the dark with this and be the ones who has a less chance of surviving when 'SHTF'. Every chance we get we look up things dealing w/ survival. What kinds of herbs are good to use for medical purposes, how long do they last, what knife/axe/gun/multitool is the best to have/use, what brand is most durable and long lasting, medicines, and the list goes on...

MEDICINE:
How long can medicine(s) last? : Based on the type of medication and storage requirements, medicine is usually good after the expiration date, from a few months to 2 years. However, the effectivness does diminish over time. As long as you keep them in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. If you vaccum seal in Mylar bags they can last up to 5 years unopened.

Will be posting/sharing more later. Hopefully I will have time to keep up with this.

Thanks! :D
II2HE4_808prepper

Postby forester808 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Checking in seems its been awhile for some posts hoping for local response as travel between islands not conducive for meet up but lets chat aloha
forester808

Return to Check In Here Hawaii Preppers