• Advertisement

Chicago's Dominicks stores are closing

Post general Illinois topics here

Chicago's Dominicks stores are closing

Postby Gherkin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Safeway/Dominicks in Chicagoland closing 72 stores.

So, I'm sure those of us in and around Chicago already know this but I wanted to mention that items are starting to go on sale. It may be a store by store thing or maybe it's all 72 of them. Just in case you live near one you may want to pop in every now and again until they close to see what you can pick up. Right now candy and holiday stuff is 50% off.

In my store there are shelves that aren't being restocked but in the canned goods sections there's still a lot of stuff so I'll be keeping an eye on it until it's gone.

None of the stores in my area have been picked up for purchase yet so we'll see what happens to those buildings next year.
Without good sanitation you won't be around long enough to use your preps.
Gherkin

Re: Chicago's Dominicks stores are closing

Postby mmpaints » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:49 pm

having been gone from the Chicago area for 20 years now, dominicks and jewels were the 2 leading grocery stores. What wiped doms out?
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Chicago's Dominicks stores are closing

Postby Gherkin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:06 pm

Safeway threw in the towel, said our stores were the worst performers in all of Safeway. There are a lot of grocery stores here, both independent and chains. Jewel Osco is still going strong but they only bought up four of the Dominicks stores. Mariano's Fresh Market has made a huge push in the Chicago market and is buying up 11 of the Dominicks sites but mostly closer to Chicago than out in the suburbs. They already have 13 stores in chicagoland with 5 planned new stores to open plus adding the 11 from Dominicks.

I've shopped at Dominicks since I moved here and it's just part of my routine. It's disruptive to have to scout out different stores and learn their sales techniques. I had a good handle on Dominicks and found good prices, especially on meat the Tuesday after a rainy weekend in the summer! :D ( Always a good clearance pile)

upward on onward.....
Without good sanitation you won't be around long enough to use your preps.
Gherkin

Return to Illinois Discussion, News and Weather