• Advertisement

snowpocalypse 3-4-15

Post general Illinois topics here

snowpocalypse 3-4-15

Postby mmpaints » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:20 am

BRRR, it's a balmy 9F this morning and the sun is blinding, bouncing off the snow and ice we got thru the day yesterday.

I sat at work from noon to 9pm, watching it snow and changing wiper blades for every idiot that ever started a car. I sold $2900 worth of wiper blades yesterday. People really are stupid. Wasn't sure I'd make it home with my 2wd, 5 speed, bald tires S10 but 2 runs at the train bridge near the house and I was up and over. With nothing to heat this POS house trailer I live in but one little electric heater (more would just blow fuses) its a little unpleasant in here this morning.

We ended the deluge with 1/2" of ice topped by 6" of fluffy snow which I am sure will all turn into a slop hole in 3 days. That's how lon it will take to get the roads clear too. Too bad the company I work for doesn't have snow days.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: snowpocalypse 3-4-15

Postby Lynda » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 am

I feel your pain. Two more inches for us and we'll beat the all time record for snowfall in Boston. Glad I don't live in Boston, but my snow shovel is always close at hand.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby kathyngary » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:42 am

we got right at the 6in. mark also. lots of ice under it, what with all the rain beforehand. I don't mind the winters here too awfully much, after spending 3 of them in North Dakota. but even I am ready for spring. hopefully, this is going to be the last of it. it has to get better at some point. right?
kathyngary
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby Blondie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:31 am

A beautiful -10 below this morning. Nice sunshine but no wind. Actually heard song birds outside this morning!

Last winter I totally rethought my plans for making it thru a brutal winter. Preps, vehicle, housing, everything.
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby popcandave » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:05 pm

A nice "14 inches today. Shoveled for 2 hours. Hard on a old man. Sending the rest of snow on to New York. Just for you Aunt Bee.. :floppytongue:
popcandave
West Virginia Preppers Network
West Virginia Preppers Network

Postby Lilredmg » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:34 pm

It was 60 degrees yesterday. I swear I felt the temps drop 10 degrees during the 15 minutes I did car duty yesterday at school. We now have about 1/2 inch of ice covered by about 4 inches of snow. It's predicted to be 70 next week here in northern Middle TN...... The snow is gorgeous. I thank God on days like this that He directed me to be a teacher.... another 2 days off....... My Siberian Husky is in heaven and the cardinals love our bird feeder.....
Matthew 25:42 "for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave me no drink."

Matthew 25:45 "Then He will answer them, saying, 'Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me."
Lilredmg
Tennessee Preppers Network
Tennessee Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:37 pm

popcandave wrote:A nice "14 inches today. Shoveled for 2 hours. Hard on a old man. Sending the rest of snow on to New York. Just for you Aunt Bee.. :floppytongue:

Haha! Ya missed and it all went to Kentucky. :p I do feel bad for those people stuck out on the highway there, though. Somebody send out the St Bernards.

Aunt Bee
No beer for you!
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:42 pm

I have piles of snow on both sides of the concrete apron at my house garage. There is a slight hill there and normally the water runs away as hubby designed an apron that slopes just right. But I couldn't throw the snow any further so I have at least 2 ft to chip through so the water will run away from the garage door when it thaws. I tried today and the bottom 6 inches are solid ice, going to have to go to the big garage and get something to chop it out with but I think chopping through about 10 ft of it will let it drain, I hope.
PatrioticStabilist

Postby Myakka » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:22 pm

It was in the upper 80's today, and due to the high humidity/ fog, I had to wear a JACKET on the motorcycle ride in to work.

When will this WINTER EVER END???????
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:22 am

Myakka wrote:It was in the upper 80's today, and due to the high humidity/ fog, I had to wear a JACKET on the motorcycle ride in to work.

When will this WINTER EVER END???????

:x :x :angry: :angry:
AuntBee

Postby mmpaints » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:39 am

hahahaha, I'm making a voodoo doll in the shape of florida just for you Myakka! LOL I am in agreement with yas, I hope this is the end of the winter stuff. I don't know how cold it is outside this morning but it's 53F in the house and I'm cold! I'm ready to be seed starting and gardening!
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Myakka » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:25 pm

I got my fruit trees moved from the old house last weekend. Had root pruned them twice. They are all in bloom today. Hope this is not a defense to the shock of moving and has more to do with the sunny upper 80 degree day. The motorcycle ride home from work was heaven.
[i]"Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"
[/i]

Skills beats Stuff!
Myakka
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:01 pm

I had to enter the "Forbidden Zone" today to see a friend. He lives near Magnolia Arkansas and has four inches of ice on the driveway and no power! Not a speck of ice until I crossed the border! I felt like an illegal alien in an alien landscape! Do I ever understand how the still humans feel on the walking dead. Pale faces drained of all hope is just creepy! Swamp

Forbidden Zone - The border of any state that does not touch the gulf.
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Return to Illinois Discussion, News and Weather