• Advertisement

The illinois preppers Gab Thread

Post general Illinois topics here

The illinois preppers Gab Thread

Postby mmpaints » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:57 pm

A new pal started a thread like this and I thought it was pretty cool. So, let's have one here........

Christmas is over and I scrambled up 12 dozen eggs today from the case I got from the coal mine. They all went into the freezer to wait for me to get the fruit roll up trays for the dehydrator. The critters are all good, even with the snow and the cow milked good this morning. All I've been up to today is eating cookies, drinking coffee, scrubbing floors(they get dirty fast around here) and playing on the internet. I have 40lbs of deer meat defrosting on the counter, had to move it out to put the eggs in. I'll be finishing the processing on it all tonight and probably grinding into burger.

What is everybody else up to?
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: The Gab Thread

Postby Crusis » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:42 pm

I had to spank my 5 and 6 year old because they got a couple of GIANT pixie sticks. It's sadly funny, when I walked into the room and saw huge piles of pixie stick candy laying on the table OUTSIDE of the straw, the young one immediately started wailing "She had a plan! She had a plan!" while pointing at the older one. The older girl just started crying immediately. Now I spank my girls less than once every three months at most, so I just told them it was a pretty stupid plan because now I was going to vacuum up all their tasty candy. Since they started accusing and wailing prior to me even saying a word, I know they thought what they were doing was wrong when they did it.

I went to get the vacuum, walked back into the room and they apparently had another plan because they had brushed all of the candy off of the table, all over the chairs and floor as well as all over themselves and a couple of books.

They're in bed sleeping now, deceivingly looking like angels after their butt swats.

I asked them why they did the last deed, and they said "I don't know." while wailing. I think this is a great lesson about the mistakes people can make when they are panicked. I don't know if they thought they'd be able to lick the candy up off the carpet later or what. But it's gone and they are sleeping.

Aaaaah, peace.
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby mmpaints » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:03 pm

ROFL Crusis, what a great little tale! Kids are something eh?

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:26 pm

MM and Crusis, both are good posts! It felt like I was there. I have a daughter, too, so I know what you were describing, Crusis. She is 30 now, but it seems like yesterday that she was 5 or 6 and she and her best friend thought it would be a good idea to smear Vaseline on their feet and slide around the bathroom floor.

Shoveled snow, read a good book, played around online, talked to an old friend from Arizona, made a big pot of pasta with tomato sauce and sausage for supper and have enough for 2 more meals. MM, one of the things I worry about getting some animals (chickens, rabbits, goats) is having to take care of them when the weather sucks like it does now with 8" of snow. Tell me about what you do with yours on a typical day.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8
North Carolina Preppers Network

Postby mmpaints » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:56 pm

Hey Vina! I have a pretty good sized pole barn so I keep the goats and the cow inside of it. Treking thru the snow isn't too bad when you can get out of it for most of your chores. The rabbits are kind of inside too, they are in another barn(old wooden cow barn) with an open side to the east. They need protection from the weather. The chickens free roam for right now so they will come to where ever the feed pail is. I usually feed them inside the front of the cow barn near my water spigot. The horses spend most of their time in a paddock with a round bale but I can put them inside where the cow and goats are if the weather is particularly nasty (freezing rain and such). I keep everybody centrally located during the winter for their protection and to make it easier on me. I can feed and water everybody, check for injuries and milk the cow in an hour, most of it protected from the worst of the weather. It's still cold but the insulated bib overalls from rural king I got 9 years ago still work pretty good. I can wear a sweatshirt and put the bibs on, have decent movement and not be cold.

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:17 pm

Thanks, MM. I wish I were closer so I could learn from you by being there. I am going to have clear some land to build a barn/coop/hutch. We bought this place last year before we ever thought about raising some animals. We have plenty of land, but most of it is wooded and hilly and no out buildings. Oh well, at least I will have the chance to build it the way I want it. One of my concerns here are predators. We have pictures from our motion-sensor camera of bobcats, fox, raccoon, possum, and coyotes.

Yeah, insulated overalls would be good. My dad wears them to work in his orchard.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Vina8

Postby Alaska Rose » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:16 am

My day got a fairly late start, although with the sun not coming up until around 11 am, it is hard to tell. It is light by 9 am, but if any clouds at all, not very. I kicked up the wood fire downstairs and added wood. Then brought in enough to fill the woodbox back up, got Mom situated so she has whatever she needs for the day and went up to check on my daughter. Took in an armload of firewood as I went in, might as well make the trip count. Got her coffee on to heat and went up to check her dressings and help her put socks on. She had managed to get dressed other than one sock, so is doing pretty good. She had sneezed unexpectedly, without a pillow tight against her tummy, so was hurting quite a bit. She hasn't taken any pain meds for 2 days now, so is doing pretty good on that score, also. She also feels better since we removed the pain pump yesterday. It was just leaking all over her dressings and pants, so not doing it's job, anyway. The Grouch walked down for some coffee and my daughter walked downstairs without any problem.
After coffee, the Grouch went home and my daughter and I visited a bit. Then delivered some late Christmas presents to a couple and baby living down the road a couple of miles. Went home and started a pot of beans, (after soaking and rinsing 3 or 4 times to lessen the gas problem) with celery, onions and ham for supper tonight. Fueled up the generator, brought a bit more firewood to stack on the porch.
Took a container of the bean soup up to my daughter and some homemade crackers. She was tired tonight, but not overdoing it yet. It is going to be hard to keep her still for another few weeks until she gets all healed up. Got home started the generator and turned off the propane light I had left lit for Mom. Got her movie going, upstairs where the TV and combo player is located. She got a whole box of new movies fro Christmas, so I can listen to lots of new noise from my part of the house. Stoked up the fire a little bit but will do a better job at bedtime. Filled the water cooler we use for drinking water. Put a teakettle on the heater so we will have hot water in the morning. This was a very quiet day and quite restful, nothing to do extra.

If you don't have long underwear or just don't like wearing them, use pajama bottoms under your regular jeans or cargo pants as underwear. Fleece or flannel both work very well. Also, a long fleece vest helps hold warmth in the core body area and of course wear a good warm hat so you don't lose heat from your head. It is one of the main heat loss areas you have to watch out for.

Your place sounds awesome, MM. Vina8, you might consider digging into the hillside for some of your animal shelters. Usually a good windbreak and roof over works well for most of the time.

Crusis, reminds me of my cousin cutting my hip length hair and then burning it so no one would notice, when i was about 5. After all, she only cut one side, LOL. She had just gotten a haircut, so figured I needed one also. We got our britches warmed, too.
https://www.createspace.com/4043866
Don't Use A Chainsaw In The Kitchen (Volume 1)
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
https://www.createspace.com/4910851 ....And Then You Die - autobiography
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Crusis » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:48 am

It got worse. They both just woke up wailing again. I've lost patience with THIS day. Seems the 5 year old took her silly putty to bed, now the 6 year old looks like your cousin got to her because I had to cut it out.

I need a beer. I haven't technically been to sleep yet, so is it OK to have a beer at 5am?

:)
-- Home Prepping --

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

-- Grandpappy --
Crusis
Colorado State Moderator
Colorado State Moderator

Postby Vina8 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:25 am

Crusis wrote:I need a beer. I haven't technically been to sleep yet, so is it OK to have a beer at 5am?
:)

Only if you put it on your cereal!
Vina8

Postby mmpaints » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:59 am

ROFL breakfast of champions! Beer in the cornflakes!!!!

AKRose, your morning sounds a bit like mine, no rest for the wicked.......

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:56 am

Yeah, I neglected to mention the dumping honey buckets and all that good stuff....LOL, no reason to gross out folks not quite ready for that part of rough living.
How-To and Cookbook. Butchering, gardening, baking, canning, building a trapper cabin and short autobiography all in one.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby mmpaints » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:21 am

I hear that! Sad part is, some folks will never be able to emotionally handle some of those things.

I'm up, it's 5:20am, it sucks. Got 4 hours worth of driving to do, long story. The critters are gonna have to wait. It's all good tho, I milked at 9:30am yesterday, the cow will live thru it.

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Alaska Rose » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:43 am

I have an early morning trip to town tomorrow, also. My daughter has her follow-up with the surgeon from her surgery a week ago. Hope he don't get upset that I did a few things differently than the driections she was given before coming home, but I can't see leaving a dressing on for a week without checking and cleaning the incision.
Image Image
Alaska Rose
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Vina8 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:38 am

Rose, I hope everything went well for your daughter and you have a safe trip.
Vina8

Postby Shelli » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:06 am

OH, see if I just would have clicked on this I would have seen it's a gab thread for everyone, not just Illinois - I started one over in PA 'cause I wanted to gab, too :)
Yes, I'm wordy. No, I can't change. ;)
Please visit my blog at http://www.OneChristianMom.blogspot.com
Shelli

Next

Return to Illinois Discussion, News and Weather