• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

The illinois preppers Gab Thread

Post general Illinois topics here

Re: The illinois preppers Gab Thread

Postby Illini Warrior » Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 pm

mmpaints wrote:illini, guess so... I'm big time anti control thing, got a serious problem with authority,religious nuts etc LOL Conformity just isn't my thing and just because Johnny does it, doesn't mean I need to be doing it too! Eh, morals and standards aside now...
Awesome weather yesterday for the southern part of the state! Boy did I get a bunch done around the farm! Looks like rain and ick is coming for the weekend. Gotta get as much as I can done today then!

you know that I was teasing? .... hoping the azz catches that JFK famous "ambitious VP disease" in TX ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby mmpaints » Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 pm

ROFL, whew, good, I was worried! LOL

Poured rain all around us today, not a single drop here on the farm tho. I lazed around in the house and made cheese and made a quiche with some of the 9 dozen eggs in the fridge.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Gherkin » Sun May 12, 2013 6:02 pm

We have a frost warning here tonight so I'm glad I haven't put anything in the ground yet. Hope it's the last time, I'm getting tired of dragging stuff in and out of the garage! The pear and cherry trees are done blooming but the apple trees appear to be at peak; I'm hoping we don't get that frost but it was down in the thirties last night so I expect we'll get zapped tonight.

Gas is still running around $4.15. I was in Wisconsin on Saturday and it was $3.54 .... oh bother!
Without good sanitation you won't be around long enough to use your preps.
Gherkin

Postby mmpaints » Sun May 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Yah, $3.54 is what it is down here this past week. it was mid 40s overnight last 2 nites as the weather front moved thru. Beautiful day today, planted the cherry, peach and apple trees I got yesterday from Gurneys.

I expanded the front garden some but haven't finished it with the wood chip yet. Maybe later this week right before it rains again.

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby penrod » Mon May 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Well I have since disbanded my prepper "group" since most would rather give lip service than do anything that would take away from their personal time. So I only keep I contact with those 2 people who actually showed for the meetings and participated. I will keep the group open to newcomers, only after I interview them to judge their level of commitment. Any suggestions for asking the right probing questions?
Conelrad
penrod

Location: North East Illinois near the South East Wisconsin line

Postby mmpaints » Mon May 20, 2013 6:05 pm

not suggestions for ya penrod, I have encountered much of the same. Most people are interested but when it comes down to commitment or actually putting any effort into it, forget it. There's people here on APN that live less than 50 miles from where we meet up and say they're coming but never show up.

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Illini Warrior » Tue May 21, 2013 7:51 am

you guys see the little newspaper blurbs about Quinn and new rifle magazine restriction law? .... he had a bunch of the Sandy Hook parents into Springfield to push a 10 round limitation ....

thought all the concern was focused on the personal carry law ..... trying to back door?
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby Gherkin » Fri May 24, 2013 7:07 am

We had pockets of frost this morning. Glad I moved a bunch of stuff into the garage. I would really like to plant the rest of my garden but don't want to take the chance of losing the plants I've been working on for the past couple of months.

Looks like it could be a good fruit year for me. I've never seen so much potential on my fruit trees. Barring any severe winds I could be sitting pretty.
Gherkin

Postby Gherkin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Cold weather crops are still doing great thanks to this cold weather we're still having.

Lost the battle for my Ash tree. It's a goner, infected with the emerald ash borer. I read an article last year that Illinois has the most Ash trees in the country and we are going to lose them all. I've seen whole neighborhoods lose their trees around here. Guess the landscapers of old never heard of diversity.

Pruned the heck out of my pear tree. I never get around to pruning in the winter like I'm supposed to and my trees never seem to mind getting a haircut this time of year. So far my fruit trees are loaded with apples, pears and cherries. Couple of more weeks and I'll be canning cherries. They always seem to get ready for the 4th of July.

Gas prices are running high, $4.45/gal. Guess it's just our curse up in the chicagoland.

Not much of a hockey fan but Blackhawk fever is rampant around here, so GO HAWKS!
Gherkin

Postby mmpaints » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:30 pm

The dept of ag has those purple ash borer traps hanging all over the place, trying to see where we're infected etc.

It's been cooler than normal down here but we've not gone colder than 60F. The 5" inches of rain last weekend is just now all soaked in.

What's the secret with cherry trees? Both mine look like they're dying with scabby looking leaves and such.

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Gherkin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 pm

The weather has been so weird this year I wonder if it's been too wet for cherry trees. We've gotten a lot of rain but we've also missed a lot of rain so it's not too bad around here. I'm thinking it's leaf spot from the wet or aphids that can deform up the leaves. A couple of years ago I had this awful black stuff showing up on my deck. The tree guy said it was from the aphids pooping out a sugary substance then black fungus grows in it. Oh yeah that was fun. He treated the tree and I haven't had a problem since.

So far, knock on wood, my fruit trees are doing great. We'll see what happens when the Japanese beetles get here but so far so good.
Gherkin

Postby Gherkin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:42 pm

I lost apples in last night storm but not so many that I won't have many more than in previous years. We got around 4inches, I had a gully washer through the garden. Didn't take many plants but it took a row of top soil with it that makes me sad. I've been working on my dirt for many years and I hate to lose any of it!

I have a small patch of corn that's part of my #10 can of heirloom seeds experiment (7 years old). Never grew corn before. The heavy rains have knocked over half of it. If the sun ever shines again will it right itself or should I fix them up? Can't get into the garden yet because it's a mud hole but eventually I hope to get in there, just need to know what to do about the corn.

So I have this weird fungus growing in the front of the house. One set looked like crap claws another looked like red spears coming out of the ground. It's called elegant stinkhorn. Totally poisonous so of no use to anybody except it's creepy weird to look at.

Still have my half dead ash tree in the back yard. Don't know what happened to the tree guy, guess I'll have to get a hold of someone else but with the latest storm damage I'm sure they're all busy...... oh bother.
Gherkin

Postby mmpaints » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:02 am

Ya should have been with me driving home from a farmers market Gherkin, how about a funnel cloud rolling across in front of ya with hail and sideways rain?

Eh, didn't do too bad at the market, just came home with 4 loaves of bread, I took 30.

Garden is coming on decent. Hard to get in it where I dont have the woodchip down yet as the compost is sloppy wet. I was too busy cutting hay until it started raining ;)

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Gherkin » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:35 pm

Currently have a 6 quarts of apple pie filling in the water bath! woo hoo! The weather turned cold last night, FINALLY! Almost 100 degrees a couple of days ago and 52 this morning! It's so much better canning when the weather is cold. I guess I'll drag the tomatoes out of the freezer and turn them into something this weekend.

Mailman brought me my garlic order today. I have to get the bed ready but they'll be planted in the next two weeks. I tried garlic a couple of years ago but the garden bed wasn't great, this one will be better. I canned 3 dozen 1/2 pints of pickled garlic this year. Haven't opened them up yet to see if they're any good but maybe this coming week I'll give them a taste. mmmmm garlic.

I also just got back from PA, helping mom get ready for winter. Got all her equipment running. She's got an electric start generator that's been giving her trouble but all it really need was a new spark plug and a good run. Choke was bent on the rototiller so she couldn't get that started either. It's all fixed up so she can put her garden to bed for the winter. Washed all the windows and put up the storm windows. Forgot to start the snow blower though..... :blush:

What's the plan for fall everyone, Almanac says it's going to be harsh winter..... I'm ready for some long nights lounging by the fire.
Gherkin

Postby mmpaints » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:20 pm

Samey same here Gherkin, it's down right cold right now here in the south. Supposed to be 44F overnite, brrr! Good thing the sunchokes flowered already!

mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois Discussion, News and Weather