• Advertisement

New member from Old Bridge

Welcome to the News Jersey Preppers Newtwork Forum. Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: jesscott98

New member from Old Bridge

Postby bgraider1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Hello All, I'm new to prepping. But am determined to be prepared. I just purchased 20 acres of land in NEPA, has a creek in the back and many springs on the property. I'm not really sure where to begin as to what i should be doing with this land first, Ie, Well, Farm, build a pond. Any ideas where to start?
bgraider1

Re: New member from Old Bridge

Postby anita » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Welcome from Upper Bucks County, PA. Not so far from Old Bridge, I would think.

What are your plans? Live there full-time? Is there a building on it currently? Why did you buy it? Do you know anything about gardening, farming? etc?

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have started with the land. I would have started with knowledge and necessities (water, food, heat).

In my opinion, gather a lot of knowledge before you do anything with or on the property.
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby bgraider1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi Anita- Not far from OB at all. The land is raw, i had it Perc and surveyed. My plan is to build a home and be mostly self relient. I work in NYC, scares the heck out of me. I don't have many skills such as farming, but i'm determined to make it work. I am very good with firearms.
bgraider1

Postby anita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:32 am

Working in NYC would scare the heck out of me, too!
In honor of RebNavy: "Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
anita

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:11 am

Welcome from GA. Glad to have you on board. If it were me I would start with a well and septic. Also, if you are thinking about having any kind of fruit trees it would be a good idea to get them in the ground as soon as you can as they can take a couple of years before they will bear any fruit.

FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers
South Carolina State Moderator

Postby bgraider1 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Thanks for the advice FP- I will plant fruit trees in the spring and have a well drilled and Septic tank installed. Should I build a pond also, just thinking of other food sources?
bgraider1

Postby ForwardPreppers » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:20 pm

Ponds can get very expensive if they are done right. We have chickens for eggs right now and will be adding meat birds probably next year. Also rabbits are very easy to raise and relatively inexpensive also. Both chickens and rabbits can be easily fed from your garden. The cost for both chickens and rabbits is a fraction of what you would spend on a pond.

FP
When a defining moment comes along, you define the moment… or the moment defines you.
ForwardPreppers

Return to Check In Here New Jersey Preppers