• Advertisement

New Jersey Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Welcome to the News Jersey Preppers Newtwork Forum. Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: jesscott98

New Jersey Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:08 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

New Jersey Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: New Jersey Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby hikenlightguy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:13 am

Looks like I'm the 1st for this roll call! Not many of us out this way...... I'm still on the job hunt but working on supplies. Gas seems to be going up .10-.15/week. I think that this is just the beginging of some really high gas prices. With that, will be an additional price in the cost of transporting it to the stores, thus even higher food prices!! So my focus is food storage. Doing some canning and watching the sales at the local stores to increase the pantry items. The pantry looks right nice these days, but I continue to use, replenish and rotate as needed.
hikenlightguy

Postby SeanMac84 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey all.. 2nd one ! Jersey shore checking in. Relatively new to prepping. Got the water storage going then working on the food stuffs and meds and such. May start storing Gasoline soon!! Cant believe how much its gone up in the last few weeks. Be safe and be well..
SeanMac84

Postby rwh077 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:52 pm

Working on food/water storage. Have kids preping egg creats to start seed planting soon. Need to learn more then I could post here. Looking to develop a 72 hour plan that is more detailed then what I have on a 2 year old cocktail napkin. Trying to raise interest in local CERT. When I questioned about the activity of CERT in my town I got named Team leader. (No good deed goes un-punished.) On a high note, My 60 year old neighbor asked to go to the local range and have added a third student to martial arts/self defense club.
rwh077

Postby rmarkey » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:54 pm

My first post, been prepping about a year . storing food , water , gear , starting a garden this spring ,
rmarkey

Postby ravermagik » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:02 pm

I have started my Own Garden inside to get a jumpstart on the spring planting season.

I am also looking to buy aprox. $500 in silver, Yen, Euro, Dinar, and pounds.If our currency Collapses that means Others would be stronger so This would help me in the future.

I have been talking to my wife who is a medical assistant about different things and since I am Blood type O I will be donating some plasma and blood for my own storage just in case. When SHTF they might not have enough blood to go around for all the injuries. So I am going to find a blood bank that is willing to store my own blood for my own use.

I have also been learning to make my own fuel for my vehicle. and working on picking up a few solarpanels for the fridge and stove and hot water heater.

Roll on :tank:
"Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, Today is a gift that is why we call it the present."
ravermagik
New Jersey Preppers Network

Postby NESC » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:40 pm

Been real busy with work first time in months. Only a few days late on checking in. Been preparing for years for almost any type of event. On HAZMAT Team, SAR Team etc. CERT Instructor, Ham operator and test coordinator, also NRA instructor. Any one in NJ need info, let me know. Would love to schedule a meet up. Will probably post about this when things slow down a little. Selling 3 day packs. Trying to prepare friends and family. That's probably the hardest part though TV news has been helping with that task lately.

While guns and ammo are important, I say food and water will be the most in demand items. You don't need to spend a grand in one trip to Costco. While cheap canned soup is fine, I've been stocking up on Progresso. They always run a special of 4 for $5. Look for coupons and you can get it down to $.75 per can. Bigger than other brands and heartier. Of course that's just one example on how to stock up a little for only a few extra dollars on each visit to the grocery store. It may surprise you how quickly you can fill your pantry. Dried goods are great to have on hand also but keep in mind, usually you will need water to rehydrate them. You don't have to buy gourmet items but buy goods you will eat while rotating stock before expiration. Also have a good variety of food as you may very well become bored of eating, even during a disaster. Have a few comfort foods on hand, especially if you have children, such as candy, popcorn etc. Stocking up on rice and beans? How about some different spices to switch things up now and then? Educate yourself on correct, safe ways to store food. I recently had a new, sealed bottle of corn syrup which must have had one little drop on the outside of bottle from the factory. Well, the ants found it! Water? Store as much as possible for drinking, cooking, washing and flushing. Store it safely! Research on how to do it. Nuff said on water, just do it.

Back to ammo, for some reason I feel better about having large quantities. I know others feel the same. Hopefully I'll never have to use any of it. If violence comes to my neighborhood like it has in the middle east, I won't hesitate. Of course you may need some for hunting or even bartering with your neighbors.

Bartering.... Most likely the US dollar will be useful for wiping yourself or as tinder for a fire if a catastrophic event were to happen. Gold and silver would be great with silver being more useful as it would be easier to "make change". Matches, lighters, firewood, TP, food, seeds, water, meds, tools and knowledge can all be used to barter for items you may need. $500 in silver would be a good investment but I think you can spend money on other items first.

I could keep typing all night, but I'll stop here. Glad to see at least a few people here from NJ.

Don't prepare for the big one. Prepare for all the little emergencies you are more likely to experience. It's easier, cheaper and less mentally challenging. You will find over time, at your own pace, you will be ready for anything that comes your way. Keep learning and be as well rounded as possible. Hope to meet some of you soon. Stay safe.
NESC

Postby 77gabe77 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Hi All, still storing food, and preparing a garden. Still waiting for my firearms ID and permits. Getting ready wood and propane. Trying to store as much gas before it gets to expensive. I also have some silver on hand. Hang on and have hope everybody, it's about to get really crazy soon.
77gabe77

Postby hikenlightguy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:49 pm

I know there are not alot of us in this area, but anyone interested in doing a "Meet & Greet' sometime when the weather gets a bit warmer.....?? Just give me the exit # off the GSP !! ;)
hikenlightguy

Postby Sica777 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 pm

South Jersey checking in. New to the site and new to prepping. Still reading and trying to get some practice in on the nature survival side of things. I am slowly realizing that the hardest part of prepping is getting everyone on the same page. The wife doesn't see the need to buy a few extra cans of soup each time she goes shopping so trying to convince her that we should stow away water and meds along with a few extra rounds of ammo is proving to be impossible. I'll keep working on that. In the mean time I would really like to get in on a "meet and greet". Any one want to take point?
Sica777

Postby rwh077 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:04 pm

I am interested in the idea of a meet/greet. Any place in NJ is good. We all have skills to share.

Everyone be well.
rwh077

Re: New Jersey Meet & Greet.....

Postby hikenlightguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:14 pm

Guess since I sugested it, I'll 'take point'. So far we got 3, I'll continue to check this post to see what a final count might be. Then, I'll try and locate an meeting place equal travel for all. Feel free to PM me.....
hikenlightguy

Postby Sica777 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:14 pm

Hiken,

Do you have any shooting ranges up your way? That would be a pretty cool place to meet up at. I don't know if everyone on here is into shooting but I know that it is really hard not to smile when emptying a magazine full of ammo. :gunshooting:
Sica777

Postby hikenlightguy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:25 pm

Sica777 wrote:Hiken,

Do you have any shooting ranges up your way? That would be a pretty cool place to meet up at. I don't know if everyone on here is into shooting but I know that it is really hard not to smile when emptying a magazine full of ammo. :gunshooting:

MMmmmmmm...........what part of 'JERSEY' don't you understand?? LOL Shooting ranges HERE? Not right in my area anymore. The was one in N. Plainfield(Ray's) but it closed it's doors 1+ ago. I think there is a range up North. You know this is not a 'friendly state' for that type of sport...... 8)
hikenlightguy

Postby clearshadow » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:00 pm

Hello to all, I'm up here in Morris county, Been doing the Bush craft thing going on about 3 yrs. and just recently got started into prepping. Looking forward to learning and sharing idea's and skills. Now if I could only get some spare time to do it.
clearshadow

Next

Return to Check In Here New Jersey Preppers