• Advertisement

Iowa Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Please introduce yourself here

Moderator: IowaPatriot

Iowa Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:43 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

Iowa Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Iowa Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby Jennie_in_Iowa » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:25 pm

Jennie here in NW Iowa.
I've got seeds started for my veggie garden. This year's challenge is to plant my entire garden with seeds saved from past years, or traded for with other growers. :D
http://myfreedompath.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ughts.html

Hubby and I recently hit the 2 month mark for stored food. :clap:

My Winter Cold Storage experiment is wrapping up and I've learned a lot from that.
http://myfreedompath.blogspot.com/2011/ ... mbers.html

The white stuff is still falling, but spring is in the air!
I'm a prepper living, working and gardening in Iowa.
Handfasted to my loving husband, who stays home with our 1 year old son.

Goddess Bless
Jennie_in_Iowa

Postby Ralph » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:24 pm

Been busy trying to get ready for spring. Been working on a medical kit and my BOB. Just finished ordering most of my garden seeds and looking forward to starting my garden. Just made raised beds last year and this will be the first year using them.

Been a long time gardner, canner and hunter. Use to be the 1970's type survivor with guns and such but just getting started back to getting really prepared. Well stocked on foods, water and farm animals. Have lived is SE Iowa for the past 8 years. Have 10 acreas with a well stocked pond, plenty of places to hunt and fish. Just put in a wood burning stove last year and it did great this past winter. Raise chickens and rabbits and use vermaculture for the garden. Have about 5,000 red wrigglers.

Been retired for the past two years and really enjoying life. Been a Christian for 40 years and very active. Married with two girls, both married, one lives in SW Okla and the other moved next door to us on our property.

Looking to learn and grow plus get to know the Iowa Prepper community so feel free to message me. I believe we don't have long (perhaps two years) before the fall!

Ralph
Ralph
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby kr105 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Checking in-- in North Iowa.

Hi all! Not sure how long I'll be here since this job is wrapping up. If I jump state, I'll say good-bye
kr105
Pennsylvania State Moderator
Pennsylvania State Moderator

Postby Anna » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:54 pm

Checking in from snowy NW Iowa. I continue stocking up as funds permit. Last week I canned 10# bag of chicken hind quarters into 5 pints of chicken and 5 of broth. Purchased 10# of ground beef and repackaged for freezer. Today I bought a 12.5 bag of popcorn, a block of yeast and 15 oz. bottle of cinnamon.

I've not ordered seeds and its past time to do so! I want to move to open pollinated varieties. We're long time gardners and can, freeze, dehydrate and store what we grow. New to the garden this year will be floating row covers. I'm hoping to keep moths off cabbages. In the past I've used tulle netting over wooden frames which works but the floating covers sound to be easier i.e. no frames. I have two sweet potatoes in water in the kitchen window. One is fully leafed out and the other is starting. These are from last year's harvest. I've given up on squash and now plant sweet potatoes instead. Easier to grow and stores extremely well.
Anna

Postby iowegian » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 am

iowegian here in Central Iowa along I-80 between Iowa City and Des Moines.
Have my heirloom seeds planted and sprouting indoors and awaiting transplant. Have canned foods in root cellar and am butchering one more hog before springtime. Ordering 12 more laying hens in about a month and going to implement a solar water heating system for potable water and adding to the rain water collection system I now have. Pond has lots of fish in and no evidence of winter kill. Looking forward to making more bio diesel when the temps warm up, and starting a bee hive this year with the neighbor. (He has 6 and I look forward to getting started). Want to build a green house on the south side of Machine shed too if funds and time permit. Looking forward to my 44th birthday on the 18th with my wife and three kids all home. Questions or comments, trading info or stories? ...glad to help. drop me a line. God Bless.
May you be in heaven a half an hour before the devil knows your dead! Erin go bragh!
John 3:16. I read THE book....WE win!
iowegian

Postby mltplmom » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:47 am

Western / Central ; Iowa ; Denison area
We have canned alot of our own foods and put away bulk food resources.
Wheat berries in 25 lb. sacks , sugar in 50lb.sacks etc also salt , coffee,yeast,
canned goods, powdered milk, bulk rice and dried beans of all sorts. Lots of spices too. I am a chef and know that food has got to taste good or else.
We have three woodburners ready to use if needed and will install the biggest one in our garage this summer and tap into the floor vents to heat the entire house next winter.
Bought a NEW 35 ton logsplitter at Tractor Supply in Council Bluffs last month!!! Can't wait to start splitting the oak.

We live on the edge of town but also own an acreage nearby with almost 8 acres most of which is hardwoods. It has a very active spring flowing right up out of the ground there too.

We are raising BEES this year. I have been taking the classes taught in Ankeny (4 hour drive once a week for 7 weeks)by the state Apiarist and have befriended a local old timer who has raised bees for 60 years to personally coach me. We are starting with 3 colonies.
I keep trying to gently urge others to get educated - but you know how that can go!!!
We have a good supply of ammo and a good assortment of weaponry.
The garden this year will be quite large to.
We are gathering extra clothing as well , as we have four boys who are growing FAST!!
We are considering starting a hen house - but that may wait until next year.
We have purchased a heavy duty grain grinder for our wheat and corn milling and a smaller one to make fine grade flour.
We are considering trying to co-op a milk cow in the future too.
I will start putting away extra chainsaw oil and fuel soon too.
I also own a fairly good sized STILL for producing water, fuel or "rumatiz medicine"
We are planting a bunch of fruit trees this spring on the acreage.
We still have much to do - but i feel like we have a good start and know that if it all spun out of control right now we could make it and maybe be able to help some others too.
That is it for now.
Oh yes, I am thinking of taking an add out in the local paper to look for other potential preppers in our area who would like to form a local co-op / coalition.
God's Blessing to you all - Keep on preppin' :gunsmile:
mltplmom

Postby freedomfox » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:03 am

SE Iowa Here. Been busy busy the last few weeks. Continuing to store food each month. Bought a Revolver and some ammo. I have been looking at getting a kerosene or propane back up heating system but now am leaning towards a tent stove.

I have been working on my skill set with regards to survival skills, bushcraft etc.

Feeling the pinch from the outside world....Being teased for prepping. Funny though the Tsunami today has some telling me we should prepare. Way ahead of them

Almost done watching the Entire series of Jericho...So many people say "That can't happen. This is America." Which is exactly why it can happen here.

Need to get back on track....remember why I do this.
"If you don't want to go with crazy firepower, a lever action shoots fast and has enough jam to drop two-legged varmints. Plus you can reload one round at a time between shots. No, scratch that. I'd like you to have as much firepower as you can get." From a Good friend...
freedomfox
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby NoOzone » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Des Moines here. Started prepping last year. We were never rice eaters, and rarely ever baked anything other than a pan of brownies or cake. But we've incorporated rice, beans into our meals and I'm baking our own bread.

Just bought wheat berries and a grain mill in the last month and am getting familiar with both. Am stocking up on pasta, beans, fats and milk in various forms (instant non-fat, Gossner milk and Morning Moo's whey milk substitute.)

Have powdered eggs and butter on order, and am learning about substituting ingredients to make do when you are out of an item. Did you know that ground flaxseed mixed with water can be used in place of eggs and or fats in many recipes? Out of buttermilk? Make a substitution by simply adding vinegar to milk. This knowledge is invaluable, especially when you don't have the money or space to prep everything you'd like to.

Once a week I make a dish or two totally from scratch, (I love my Dutch oven) and a different type bread (multi-grain, bannock, yeast-free breads and a beer bread that I did last week). Some are so easy, others...not so much.

I recieved my backordered mylar bags this week, so will start filling some buckets with more beans, sugar, rice and I'm going to try doing pasta in mylar. Have read mixed reviews on the result...I try some and let you know in a decade or two of the results. 8)
NoOzone

Postby Gnosis » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:11 am

Just south of Des Moines here.

I have been busy stocking up on can goods as funds permit as well as dry goods.

I have also started looking at getting seed for my garden, so I can harvest and can the product in the fall. I had great luck last year in my garden, which was the first time I planted, but helped out my friend for years in his garden. It is way different doing it yourself, I was lucky that my friend was there to help me out.

In the process of getting more preps in my place, but with limited room it is hard. I think I need to do some major spring cleaning this year to cull what I need and what is not needed. I am finding out I do not need to keep things that are not useful or I have not used in years, then again I could barter. I have so many questions about this topic.

I am also looking at finding others of like mind in my area and are willing to share their knowledge and experiences. It is hard to do when people do not give out that they are preppers openly. I do not want to draw undo attention to myself, since I know a lot would look at you as "crazy".
Gnosis

Postby freedomfox » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:26 am

Gnosis I hear what you are saying. Trying to find others at the same time not seem like the crazy bunker dweller. :) I am in SE Iowa. I was in Des Moines this week because my family lives there. Good luck with your preps
"If you don't want to go with crazy firepower, a lever action shoots fast and has enough jam to drop two-legged varmints. Plus you can reload one round at a time between shots. No, scratch that. I'd like you to have as much firepower as you can get." From a Good friend...
freedomfox
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby Scottishblacksmith » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:48 am

Scottishblacksmith here, I am new to prepping, but been around the block a few times in the way of hunter, fisherman, gardener. I am 49 yrs. old and am finally seeing the REAL need to prep for _______ ( fill in the blank here LOL ). I want you to know that you can find really good plants and seed at your local Tractor Supply store. I work at one, and bought blue berry bushes, blackberries, raspberries,Nanking cherries, asperagus, potato sets, tomato and pepper seeds with a Jiffy table top "greenhouse " to start them inside. I am going to buy the rest of my seed soon for my garden. I have a Marlin model 60 .22, about 3000 rounds for it, a Springfield Armory Micro Compact GI .45ACP, need to buy more ammo for it, a Remmington pump 12ga., only have 300 rounds for it so need more, and a Remmington 876 semi-auto 12ga., a Ruger barrel break pump air rifle ( 1000 feet per second ) and about 1000 pellets for it. Just starting on storing food, planning on coverting the cistern in the basement for canning and long term storage of water and food. Like on an acerage of just under 4 acres, have a few geese,15 chickens, 3 ducks (hybred layers), rabbits, and at my lady's insistance 2 horses. I like horses alot but can't feesably feed them on so little land. Been a camping fan for ever, have done Historical re-enacting (loved it), so I have lots of experiance cooking over open fires( must be tasty as it diappears fast). Heat part-time with wood. Looking into rainwater catching for whatever use. Well enough for now, keep up with firearms Safety and practice, read everyday,too :D
Scottishblacksmith

Postby Marine Dogg » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:05 pm

:gunsmile: Hey fellow americans......I am new here and my eyes are now "OPEN". I am a former U.S.Marine.... I am born to bleed RED-WHITE-AND BLUE. My family thinks i am a wack job when i talk about preparing for the unexpected.......Just starting my little honey hole of goodies..........I am willing to to talk or stand with anyone in my area.....Cedar Rapids Iowa........................I am on facebook.........Jeff beisker Semper Fidelis......0311 2/5 1981-1984
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.
Marine Dogg

Postby freedomfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:18 am

Welcome to the forum Scottish Black Smith and Marine Dogg....Let me know if you have any questions or anything you would like to see on the Iowa Blog....
freedomfox
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Postby freedomfox » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:19 am

Welcome to the forum Scottish Black Smith and Marine Dogg....Let me know if you have any questions or anything you would like to see on the Iowa Blog....
freedomfox
Iowa Preppers Network
Iowa Preppers Network

Next

Return to Check In Here Iowa Preppers