• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Daily Prep Needs

Post General Iowa related topics here

Moderator: IowaPatriot

Daily Prep Needs

Postby shakemeiowa » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:48 pm

Ok since coming to this site recently,I have noticed the big concerns are the major catrastophies.What I don't see here or on the past tv prepper shows are the basic everyday preps people do for the daily problems of storms,power outages and low incomes.Sure I get it,to prep for major problems your prepping for minor head aches also.But are yoreally?
As A disabled person and living in Hiawatha, Iowa, the biggest thing I learn is that this town has a major power issue! It has frequant power surgesd and alot of yearly power outages!
To combat this issue, We have implimented a storage battery with a 120V power inverter to run what we need for power,I make sure to have easy fix meals stocked up, Candles are for cooking not light! I have 3 power inverters stored, (2) 400w and a 1k watt for big items.We have radios,storm radio and plenty of batteries to run them and a mag light to boot!Knowing where your safe place is makes a huge difference and keeping a bug out bag fixed helps even though it needs updated often! When SHTF here,we are the only apt of 4 buildings with lights,fan,food and safety! My first aid traing,hazmat reading,security work and preps keep us safe at all times.If all else fails, I spent enough time in woods to hunt for food or fish!
shakemeiowa

Re: Daily Prep Needs

Postby Blazer2 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:24 pm

What are you everyday needs? And go from there.
As for loss of power. I would look at a solar systems that are portable. That can recharge your batterys. Living in a APT prepping will be a little harder but doable. I believe there's a section on here about prepping in a APT.
Blazer2

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:41 pm

if you prep for the big SHTF - you're automatically covered for the lesser everyday SHTFs - the basics are the basics across the board ....

Iowa - you need to get your winter emergency heat covered .... materials to isolate a convenient room - pop up tent for nite time sleeping - sleeping bags - a LP radiant heater like a Mr Heater - plenty of blankets & warm clothes ....

for apartment dwellers I always suggest a Coleman lantern at the very least - lite/heat/cook all in one package
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby daaswampman » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:08 pm

Prepping is different things to different people and one plan does not fit every situation. You could have advanced skills for SHTF, but that is worthless if what you need is an emergency fund to deal with a local weather event, home damage, accident, or medical emergency.

A friends family is living in my old travel trailer as their neighborhood is flooded and they don't have money for a motel. They say their area has never flooded and they had no plans to leave their home. Live and learn.

It is not very exciting, but your first prepps, be out of debt, have an emergency fund and a place to go. That old travel trailer was my first BOL. Life is nicer now, but the plan is the same. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Return to Iowa Discussion, News and Weather