• Advertisement

Kansas Foraging

Post general Kansas related topics here

Moderators: Lionheart1972, Elona

Kansas Foraging

Postby OTKG » Fri May 29, 2015 3:43 am

I may have grown up in Kansas, camping, hunting, and fishing, but the longer I stay here the more I realize I don't know about it. One of the things I'm interested in learning more about is edible plants that are native to Kansas. The only native plant I'm very familiar with is the dandelion. I use it in cooking and it's a main food source for my chinchilla. I've used it as a main pet food in the past for rabbits and guinea pigs as well. I love dandelion because it's so useful and so nutritious! I know about wild blackberries. (Having at least six in my yard.) Blackberries are pretty self explanatory, though I didn't know until recently that they are dormant every other year.

Does anyone know more native plants that they can tell me about? Pictures would be amazing. I've looked online for similar information but I'm finding the internet is lacking in detailed information of edible plants in Kansas.
OTKG

Re: Kansas Foraging

Postby rush_60 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:35 pm

The ones i can think of that you didnt mention are mulberries, goose berries, paw paws, walnuts, acorns, hickory nuts, palmer amaranth, and cattails. Im sure there are many more that I dont know about.
rush_60
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Re: Kansas Foraging

Postby blue fox » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:35 pm

Do some research on the so called "Autumn Olive." It is that little red berry that shows up in the fall all along the road side.
Also drop by your local state fish and game office. They have a pocket sized book titled "A Pocket guide to Kansas Flint Hills Wildflowers and Grasses. It list some edible and dangerous plants that grow in the state. It is also available through the Great Plains Nature Center at 6232 eE 29th St North, in Wichita. Hope this helps.
blue fox
Kansas Preppers Network
Kansas Preppers Network

Return to Kansas Discussion, News and Weather