• Advertisement

Louisiana Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Please Introduce Yourself here.

Louisiana Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:30 am

Louisiana Preppers, Check in and let us know what you've been doing lately to prep.
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Louisiana Preppers Roll Call 11/27

Postby themcfarland » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:17 pm

I personally have gotten my fuel storage turned over, old in the vehicles, new back in cans..
I got some 12 volts batts and a commercial charger from telecom surplus to charge 3 in series at 36 volts then need to purchase a golfcart converter to step the 36 back down to 12 .. to draw from all 3 at an even rate..

soon to hook up some solar back up panels.. for charging..

gotten a radio setup to hit the ham radio repeaters and IF NEED be public service.. but only if the need arises..

Need to get more buckets, and I heard from a local prepper that sams is a good start.. I will try the bakery..

I also bought a rocket mil surplus case to take to the swamp for a cache.. I dont know whether to sink it or hang it yet though..

anyone else doing any prepping?
themcfarland
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby juju_mommy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:41 pm

I'm around... just have been swamped at work and home so haven't been able to check the forum as often as I usually do. But still checking in regularly....

Searching for a new place so been focusing on that lately. Were origionally look for a house but can't find what we need in our price range so have decided on doing the whole land+mobile home+large metal shop+land improvements (i.e. sewer, water well, etc.). So... yeah.... that's taken up a good bit of free time shopping around for all that and pricing stuff (have to make sure all the "elements" add up and stay within our price range). Hopeing to move on this by early spring (though a little scared with what all is going on; but keeping it low and w/n our budget). Looking forward to having a couple acres of our own. God knows I wish to have more like 50 acres but I'll die waiting for that. So, instead, we will make due with what we can afford. And with 2 acres I still feel like we can make a nice little nook: trailer, big shop, eventually will fence it in, room for a decent sized garden, fruit trees, berry bushes, etc. I have a very long "when we get a place" wish list. LOL. Ready to hit the ground running as soon as we move in....

Been trying to fit in a little more food storage in this small trailer. Not much space left but finding space for a lttle more here and there. Also, both in preparation for the eventual move and for the benefit of finding more space for things most important, I am purging some stuff. It's not a lot but it's helped.

Within the past week I also re-did my "binder" of "prepping info". It was and still is a big undertaking but it's been good because it's allowed me to see areas that I don't have covered well or not at all and so I've been searching online for info to fill in those gaps and have been printing as I go. I've also been able to find things that are redundant and remove those from the binder to make more room for the info to fill in the gaps. The "extra" info print outs I have thrown in another spare binder that I hope to eventually beef up so that either I have a back up for us or can pass it along to someone else post-TEOTWAWKI.

Hope some others check in. Every time I check the forum lately it seems like there are less and less new threads. I think APN has a pretty nice sized group of regular forum members but I think that many of us aren't as active lately (myself included).
juju_mommy

Postby Southern Tactical » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:20 am

Hi, all! From "somewhere inconspicuous", Louisiana. I've been priceing solar panels and have been studing for my Tech Lic for ham radio. Stuck at work right now(offshore) so mostly just research till I get home.
[color=#0000BF]The only thing that stays the same, is the fact that everything changes. Can you adapt?[/color]
Southern Tactical

Postby pasteur » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:23 pm

Looks like we are it! It does not appear there are may interested in Louisiana. I hope this changes and we in Louisiana can start talking about Prepping. I communicated with a fellow La. Prepper a few times by email and he is very knowledgeable and eager to help others with their Prepping. I am also very eager to help anyone who has any questions about food storage, small solar generator, water purification, where to get free food grade buckets and up to 55 gallon water storage barrels, where to get best prices on wheat, etc.

I hope we get more people interested because my family and friends think I'm crazy to prep and think its funny. I am very serious about Prepping and hope to see more people join us. If anyone would like to discuss any prepping topic please join in with Louisiana Preppers online or drop me a Preppers email. We all need to prep for what the near future holds for us!
pasteur

Postby Who is John Gall » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm here...I'm here... I did not even notice this roll call until I saw Pasteur's posting under "new posts." Sorry, I have been pretty busy with life and work and school and such of late and I have not been on here as much as I normally would. Playing hookey from school work right now as it is.

As for prepping of late, I have not done a lot but I think that I have done a great deal. Let me explain. Some family came down and we all went to the Renaissance Festival in Hammond (y'all really should go, lot's of fun). Well, they spent the night. All of them...all 10 of them. Got rained out on Friday, so they stayed that night too. Saw the bed situation in advance, and I bought a Disc-O-Bed from Cabelas. It is a simple camping cot that breaks down and fits into a simple bag. Smaller than a traditional military cot. Now I have a whole new, non-inflatable, way to bed somebody down if we get some people bugging out to our place for a hurricane or such, again. Thinking about getting another one...but the problem in the house is that the ends of the poles scratch the wood floors.

Also, going on a cruise next week and have been getting ready for it. Western Caribbean. Bought a nice set of water proof Midland two-way FRS/GMRS hand-helds that we can all chat with on the ship. Also, bought Smith & Wesson self defense pens for me and my girlfriend (since they won't let us take our side arms on the boat), loads of sun screen and bug spray, some premetherin clothing bug repellent, and such. I figure that the radios will make a nice addition to my preps and anything that is left over from the cruise will go there too.

In addition to the tangibles for the cruise, I have been up dating my immunizations and some of my meds. I went to a travel medicine place, Passport Health in Baton Rouge, and got my polio, yellow fever, and meningitis vaccines up to date. They sent me home with the typhoid vaccine (4 pills over 8 days) and I am almost finished with it. After this I should be good to go with all of my vaccinations, except for flu, for the next 5 years. Also, they gave me scripts for several antibiotics to carry, one 'just in case' and the second for malaria prophylaxis.
Who is John Gall

Postby juju_mommy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Who is John Gall: Where is this Passport Health place in Baton Rouge? Do you need a referrel or anything or just walk in? I'd been wanting to get a tetnus (sp?) shot.. haven't had one in over 10 years (for sure). I want to look into that... Oh.. and I've been to that Ren Fest in Hammond. It's definitely something people should check out. Been years since I've gone but it was a lot of fun.

Pasteur: I feel the same way! My family things I'm paranoid and a little looney. I don't really talk about "prepping" specifically but I do talk about my interest in food storage and they definitely think I am obsessive. Which... in a way I guess I am. But I t hink it's in a healthy way and it's a productive and worth-wild obsession IMHO. LOL. Yeah, but I feel pretty isolated too when it comes to my "interests".

Yeah, I wish we could get some more locals on the board. I guess it would be easier to find people and refer them to the board if I was more vocal about my prepping interests. But the more vocal I become simply about the issues that we currently face in the country and in the world, my family things I'm a worry wart as it is.... anyways... yeah, I wish we had a few more on the board. I still have such a long way to go.... when we finally get a couple acres of our own (around here that's about the most we'll be able to afford) then I can put a lot more things into practice. But still... so much to learn and so much to do. Would be nice ot have more locals on here so that I/we could benefit from their experiences and wisdom.

I'm still looking forward ot a pow-wow camping trip in the spring... !
juju_mommy

Postby 0bubba » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:03 pm

Checking in from the Northshore. I am learning much from the Prepper network.
0bubba

Postby Fire_Hawk » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:39 am

Checking In...

Hi Everyone! I'm new.

Juju Mommy: Where is the best place to get clean wheat for human consumption in 50lb bags? I've seen it prepped in 5 gal buckets but it's to expensive and the bags out of texas are running about $175 a bag. Thoughts?

Southern Tactical: I'm in the Covington area.. Let's meet up some day.

Covington, LA does have a farmers market on the side of the Covington City Hall every Saturday til noon i think. I'm thinking about gettin a table there once a month to promote "Prepping." I am a USAF Vet. and have been prepping for some time.

Store what you eat - Eat what you store.

Best regards,

FireHawk
Best regards,

FireHawk

Store What You Eat - Eat What You Store
Fire_Hawk

Postby juju_mommy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:30 pm

Fire_Hawk wrote:Checking In...

Hi Everyone! I'm new.

Juju Mommy: Where is the best place to get clean wheat for human consumption in 50lb bags? I've seen it prepped in 5 gal buckets but it's to expensive and the bags out of texas are running about $175 a bag. Thoughts?

Southern Tactical: I'm in the Covington area.. Let's meet up some day.

Covington, LA does have a farmers market on the side of the Covington City Hall every Saturday til noon i think. I'm thinking about gettin a table there once a month to promote "Prepping." I am a USAF Vet. and have been prepping for some time.

Store what you eat - Eat what you store.

Best regards,

FireHawk

Welcome to the forum!

I got my wheat from both Honeyville Grain and Emergency Essentials. You can find both them by searching on a search site. Honeyville Grain was great because it was only like $5 shipping, which cannot be beat! Emergency Essentials shipping wasn't bad if you place a really big order.

As far as local sources, can't find any. I know that there is a LDS cannery around the slidell area and though some canneries are welcoming to non-church members, this particular one does not seem to be at all. But if you happen to find a local source, let us know. But... I've done a lot of searching and didn't come up with anything.

Several of us are interested in getting together sometime in the spring for a camping trip. So, keep an eye out for that as I think we'll probably end up meeting up at one of the state parks off I12 (seems to be a good, central location).

Again, welcome!
juju_mommy

Postby elvia » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi All
I am in Marrero. haven't logged in for awhile.
I have 2.2 acres couple dozen hens, a duck and 4 goats.
Getting ready to till up the garden again for this years planting.
elvia

Return to Check In Here Louisiana Preppers