• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

Louisiana Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Please Introduce Yourself here.

Louisiana Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:47 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

Louisiana Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Louisiana Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby juju_mommy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:28 pm

I'm here, popping in to check the forum whenever I have a chance though perhaps not posting as much as I used too. Right now we are STILL looking for property. Not having much luck in our price range in our area (everything around here so darn expensive). Hard to not get discouraged.

Got my little garden planted with sugar peas (a few inches tall; they look so cute already), green beans and purple pole beans JUST sprouting after the down pour we had this past weekend and my beets have sprouted but kind of seem to have stalled so we'll see (first time growing beets). Feeling a STRONG desire to expand my garden big time (due to economy and raising food prices) but not knowing if we'll be getting a place soon or what I'm trying to keep from doing that.

Getting ready for canning season. I plan to do a LOT of pressure canning this spring. Got my pressure canner at the end of last spring and so didn't get to make as much progress with it as I would've liked. But this year.... I'M READY!

Starting to really go back to being frugal. With the economy just getting worse and all that I'm just realizing how important it is. Before it was more fun than anything else. Now it's serious... Trying to incorporate frugality a lot more so that if and when there is a point where it's NECESSARY then it isn't so much of a shock. We've consolodating gredit cards and therefore are making a lot more progress getting things paid off (took out a sig loan at a very cheap rate). Cut out the internet and are just tapping into wireless from my uncle next door (with his permission). No cable (we instead just do a netflix subscription; much cheaper and more convenient to watch things when we have time). Believe it or not, here in southern Louisiana and living in an older mobile home, our winter electric bill is MUCH more expensive than our summer bill. So now that spring is pretty much here, we're back to doing without heater/ac as much as possible, hang drying clothes, etc. and hoping to see the benefits on the next bill.

Another big frugal move for us is that I'm going back to cooking from scratch more and being a LOT more aware of wastefulness when it comes to food. Sounds so simple but this is something I was very big on and as these past 6 months or so I've been very busy for us so it's just been too easy to buy more processed quick-foods rather than making things. Trying to cook more beans and rice type meals, using meat to stretch a meal (such as a casserole or stew) rather than just having a big piece of meat (that saves a lot of money!).
---> Side note: most of my friends and family have this incorrect assumption that I'm super mom or something simply because I cook so much from scratch (even this past year with skimping a lot, I still cook more from scratch than most I know). But I keep trying ot make them understand that it's not as time consuming if and when you plan ahead. My big secret (which I share but nobody seems to have the desire to implement themselves LOL) is cooking big batch meals on the weekend. I have a small, square chest freezer which I always have at least half full of prepared meals (the other half is meat). I make things like spaghetti, gumbo, beans, soup, ground meat (like for tacos and casseroles), grilled chicken (good for putting on salads, making wraps, enchiladas, etc.), shred BBQ beef, baked goods (like pancakes, breakfast casserole, muffins, etc.). I do a couple meals one evening on the weekends and so, when I keep up with it (which I haven't lately!) I don't have to cook much on week nights except for maybe rice or something. Anyway.... I need to get back to this way of cooking. Not only does it make my life sooooo much less stressful but it's a GREAT way to save money and be frugal in the kitchen.

Ok... yeah... I know. I'M RAMBLING. But That's pretty much what I've been up too. Just buckling down where I can. Hoping to find a place of our own soon because I'm feeling such a strong desire to get ourselves set up to produce more of our own food (expand the garden big time, plant fruit trees and berry bushes, have chickens and rabbits).

HOW'S EVERYONE ELSE DOING?
juju_mommy
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby sharlynn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Sharyn Lynn here checking in from Ponchatoula...
Here is an event I will be attending and will have an information table for AS A MOM (www.asamom.org) We continue to hav a very active "Preppers Pantry" forum there. If you are in the neighborhood, please stop by my table and say Hi...

WHEN: SUNDAY, MARCH 13TH, 2011 at 1:00PM
WHERE: Celebrations LLC
2700 General De Gaulle Drive
New Orleans, LA
WHAT: This patriotic special event,
is a unique opportunity for families with young students.
MEET FOUR WWII VETERANS (THE A TEAM)
and watch their spellbinding presentation
including tales of their own experiences
@ Pearl Harbor and on D Day
Light buffet luncheon included
(Includes soft drinks, Pasta, Jambalaya, finger sandwiches, fruit and veggie tray,
cocktail meatballs and cheese tray. )
Face Painting for kids, grab bags for children
FREE- FREE- FREE
(DONATIONS ACCEPTED)
FOR ADULTS, WE WILL HAVE GIFT BASKETS AND PATRIOTIC ITEMS TO PURCHASE, AND LOTS OF EDUCATIONAL INFORMATION
AWAKEN YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN TO THE TRUE HISTORY OF THE USA
AND PRIDE IN AMERICA
THIS EVENT WILL ENABLE ALL TO COUNTERACT THE PROGRESSIVE PROPAGANDA WHICH DEMEANS OUR HISTORY AND EXCEPTIONALISM

RSVP (RESERVATION) REQUIRED
BY MARCH 10
http://www.meetup.com/The-Greater-New-O ... nts/1661...
Proverbs 22:3
A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
sharlynn

Postby buttonheart » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:53 pm

Hey yall,
Claudia from Lake Charles checking in.
Been buying a few things EVERY week at the store to add to what we have. The nonfood items that are so necessary.
I've started my seeds for my garden, plus I've planted edibles instead of flowers in my pots this year. I'm replacing a couple of shrubs with blueberries.
Our chickens are alive and well and producing like good little layers. We have plenty for ourselves and our families. Thinking about fencing the property to keep out the bobcats and cayotes that love 'em as much as we do! :gunshooting:
The biggest chore is keeping track of things....
I went to the store a couple of weeks ago and took advantage of clothes sales. Don't need any now, but will need smaller sized come summer. One way to add to the pantry is to eat less... :rofl:
Next chore is to look into water storage.
Until next time - - -
buttonheart

Postby survial_geek » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:33 am

Still here and working in my garden.
survial_geek

Postby Who is John Gall » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:32 pm

Still here too, just south of Baton Rouge. I have not done much of late...buckling down for school (this is my last semester...yippee...). I still have about half a dozen #10 cans of freeze dried food to vacuum seal into quart jars. I did buy another 5 gallon gas can the other day, fill it and stabilize it. I am going to try and pick up another every week or so...if gas prices keep rising it will be nice to have a "pre-paid reserve" in addition to my usual gas reserve.
Who is John Gall

Postby rhinos40cal » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:58 am

I constructed a battery backup with 1500watt inverter,2-75 amp hour batteries& Cheapo Harbor freight :thumbsup: solar panel setup.Plan on adding another next month in time for hurricane season.Should easily run my chest freezer & low watt lighting for house as well as a small portable TV to keep up with the lies the media has to tell us.:thumbsup:
rhinos40cal

Postby Someguy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:18 pm

Someguy reporting in for duty! I apologize for my tardiness, and my absenteeism. Getting lots of preps stored. You know, the important things. Coffee, Tea, Tobacco and Toilet Paper. I really can't remember the last time I checked in. It's been a while. I had to take a year off from physical prepping to care for an ill relative. I took a crash course in Oncology and other medical training.

The past few months, I've been working on the family homestead. We'll have 5 generations of family living there. Let me tell you, that's been one Huge project, Mega Huge. Once it's done, we'll be set up with a very large garden, an orchard and livestock. We're building next door to a very good friend who is like minded. I think he's more excited for us to be out there than we are. He's been trying to get prepped by himself and as ya'll know, that's not an easy task. Sure it's easy to buy food and stock up, but you've also got the gardening, livestock, equipment maintenance, in addition to normal day to day tasks.

Every now and again, I'm asked for advise on prepping and two things often come to mind. 1) don't give up on living just to live. You've got to still have rest time and play time. In addition to food and equipment preps, I've also picked up toys. I really enjoy getting together with friends playing games (cards, board games, drinking games, etc.) and that's something that we should continue if/when the zombies attack. (and by zombies attacking I mean any catastrophe that should happen) 2) Be prepared to be unprepared. Yeah, yeah, I know WTH? There are so many natural disasters that can happen that wipe out whatever you've store up. In the past couple of years, around the world, we've had natural disasters that have destroyed communities. Haiti, Chili, Japan come to mind. I'm sure thats why we should have a fall back location, but the fact remains that some of us will never have a fall back location, or bug out location, or that the disaster wont destroy your home and bug out location. Here's a tip for you, go out on a rainy day without an umbrella, go take a drive with no money in your pocket, drive your car out of gas and walk to go get some fuel (and then carry it back). A little suffering builds character.

Another thing I learned is, practice, practice, practice. One morning, not too long ago my power went out. Cool, not a prob. I grab my flashlight only to remember that I took the batteries out to charge them and never put them back in. Well, my house is completely dark, can't see crap. My phone is in the living room (it has a nifty flashlight app). After stubbing my toe on what seemed to be an obstacle course (the entire time I'm curing my roommate for rearranging the entire house after I went to bed) I get to my phone and activate the flashlight app only to find out that the only rearranging that was done was by me stubbing my toe on every piece of furniture on my journey into the living room. Then it dawned on my that I have a home protection tool right beside by bed with a flashlight attached to it that I have, on a few occasions, grabbed quickly without so much as having to think to get it. No, my neighborhood isn't that dangerous. My roomy has spoked me a couple of times coming in through the back door (which he RARELY uses). The point I'm making is that you (or maybe it's just me) should run through the motions of whatever you're prepping for. Start your generators once a month. If you wake up in the middle of the night, grab your flashlight to get to the bathroom instead of turning on the lights. Grab you're alternative coffee making device and use it every now and again to make the morning pot of wonderful, tasty, "I need this one cup before you talk to me" coffee.

That's all the rambling that I'll do for now. Hopefully, I'll start spending more time here.

Someguy
My purpose in life is to say something so incredibly funny that you shoot milk out of your nose........even if you're not drinking milk.
Someguy

Postby harleydave2 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:33 am

new be, just getting started any suggestions would be great.
harleydave2

Postby themcfarland » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:23 pm

I am here, tardy but here..

My personal update for preps.

Have purchased 100 lbs more of rice, and another inverter for running ac from battery..

I also have purchased a few thousand more 223, x39, and another AK.

I also stumbled upon a 111a vest and it fits me perfectly, now to find some plats for the 3 rating..

Next is a hf rig, and antenna system.. :gunsmile:
themcfarland

Postby Someguy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:17 am

harleydave2 wrote:new be, just getting started any suggestions would be great.

sorry, Harley Dave. I must have missed your post. The best way to get started is reading the boards here, ask specific questions and "just do it".
My purpose in life is to say something so incredibly funny that you shoot milk out of your nose........even if you're not drinking milk.
Someguy

Postby TaffyJ » Wed May 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi,

Sorry so tardy. I rarely check the LA forum (bad, bad, bad). Its good to see new names here. Welcome! I'm in Cenla. Themcfarland and someguy, where you at? I don't wanna know specifically, just what region of LA? Its nice to know I'm not alone, if there's any other preppers near me.

What I have done recently is work my bum off trying to get my house ready to sell. I've got great-stuff foam all stuck to my hands, paint in my hair, and little cuts from aluminum siding on my feet. How that happened I don't know. Its flip-flop weather, you know. Yeah, I shoulda worn my white rubber boots, but I gotta have my toes in the dirt!

All this is in preparation for building a concrete house out at my BOL. I want it traditional Louisiana style, with a crawlspace underneath. That way, I can have a cool place to store my potatoes and squash. A cajun root cellar, sort of. But to build this sturdy house, I gotta sell my current house first. I pray the market is still good enough around here to enable me to get the equity I need out of the sale so I can build my new house out at the BOL. Over the last few years, I have been acquiring land for a BOL and doing some little prep and improvements out there.

Here, I have been adding to the prep pantry and the ammo stash. This winter, I focused on getting a stock of heirloom seeds of all sorts. I have about 200 vaireties that are suited to different growing conditions including cool weather, or heat and drought, etc... I focused mainly on potatoes, corn, beans, okra, and squash. But, I've got some interesting and useful seeds in there for things like tobacco, cotton, indigo, and herbs.

We've got the garden and chicken pen broken from the pasture grass, and hay spread on it as mulch. Then, we planted some.

One thing I learned... You're supposed to plant about 300 seeds of any one variety of heirloom corn to maintain a good genetic diversity. The large pack of corn seed I had only contained 250 seeds. So, now I know what size corn seed order I need to place. I ordered more seed, but its on backorder, as everybody has the heirloom garden seed bug right now.

I recently put together a plan for rainwater catchment and treatment and gathered all the supplies necessary for that.

So, we've been doing odds and ends that help us move toward being more ready for whatever comes. I'll be able to take much more solid strides toward being prepared when I'm actually living out at the BOL.

Someguy, I'm glad to read what you said about prepping for relaxation and entertainment. We gotta have that! If all we do in a disaster situation is sit around and worry and stress and talk doom and gloom, that's not good for morale. Much better to play some cards and shoot the bull with friends, family, and good neighbors. That, in itself, is community building, and helps form bonds and loyalties that can help us out when we need to stick together for survival. I have decks of cards and such in my preps.

Y'all take care!
Shrug
TaffyJ

Postby NOLA556 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:07 pm

hey guys, checking in from the armpit of Louisiana. (new orleans)
NOLA556

Postby juju_mommy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Checking in from the suburbs of Baton Rouge.

Been swamped at work and home so have only been glancing at the forum lately. But... still here. =+)

Everyone - If you are interested in going on a fall weekend camping trip meet-up then dont' forget to go to the meetup subforum and vote. So far, it's looking like Oct. 7-9 but we are going to keep the poll open for at least another month to give everyone a chance to chime in.
juju_mommy

Postby Stoney » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:07 pm

Hello everyone, James here. I have been involved in emergency preparedness since the 1970s, Eagle Scout and volunteer for the American Red Cross; I grew up in Lafayette. After high school, joined US Army, Rangers; then Lafayette Parish Sheriffs Office.

Now I am contracted to a federal agency, specializing in emergency preparedness training and planning (I may work for the government, but I don't trust them). ;)

Currently looking for a local Boy Scout Troop to get involved with training our next generation of American Patriots; as well as finishing my book on emergency preparedness.

I may be new to this forum, but I am not new to this subject matter. So if anyone has questions, and/or if I may be able help, just let me know. I do not like giving to many personal details, I hope you understand.
"Honor, Integrity, Duty - ALL as a Personal AND Professional Way of Life"
Emergency Preparedness Specialist, Consultant and Trainer; NRA Life Member
Respectfully yours, Stoney, a.k.a. James
Stoney

Next

Return to Check In Here Louisiana Preppers