• Advertisement

Toilet Plume

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

Toilet Plume

Postby daaswampman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Just when you thought you were safe to check it out, Toilet Plume comes along! Sweet Dreams! Swamp

[snip]

There's a certain comfort in the toilet seat cover, the tissue-thin layer of grace between your bare behind and a piece of cold, dirty plastic. But what happens if you forgo the cover, boldly plopping down on a surface crawling with who knows what?

Probably nothing, according to public health experts. Seat covers do not stop germs, they said, and you're not likely to catch an infection from a toilet, anyway.

Toilet seat covers are absorbent and bacteria and viruses are tiny, able to pass through the relatively large holes in the cover's paper, said Kelly Reynolds, a public health researcher at the University of Arizona. That means they don't stop the spread of germs, she said, but the risk of germ transmission from your skin touching a toilet seat is unlikely in the first place.

Germs will more likely spread after you flush, when bits of fecal matter blast into the air in aerosol form, a phenomenon known as "toilet plume." From there, Reynolds said, the "bits of fecal matter settle on surfaces, contaminate hands and then get spread to the eyes, nose or mouth."

Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventative medicine at Vanderbilt University, agreed. He pooh-poohed seat covers to the Huffington Post, which found research has refuted notions that toilet seats spread sexually transmitted infections or gastrointestinal infections.

“That’s because toilet seats are not a vehicle for the transmission of any infectious agents—you won’t catch anything,” Schaffner said.

And covering the seat with toilet paper? That may even make things worse. Placing pieces of toilet paper around the seat as an impromptu cover only increases the surface area for germs to multiply on, as Raymond Martin, a director with the British Toilet Association, told Buzzfeed. That makes it "considerably less hygienic," he said. (And toilet plumes may have blasted fecal matter onto the toilet paper anyway.)

The seat covers can keep things cleaner, however, said Reynolds: They make people more likely to sit on toilets rather than hover over them, reducing general splatter. That makes them a "net benefit," she said.

The biggest risk in public restrooms remains the spread of fecal matter to the mouth, Reynolds said, and that starts with the hands. Just remember to wash your hands, lathering with soap and scrubbing for 20 seconds before rinsing, as the CDC recommends. Then you're truly covered.

http://www.wltx.com/news/nation/what-ha ... /423671682
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Toilet Plume

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 am

A long time ago I read that this "toilet Plume" will mist over the whole bathroom if you don't close the lid first. It will even cover your toothbrush with nasty germs. For this reason I will never brush my teeth again.

In communal bathrooms this can be a major problem as this fecal matter will migrate into the brains of the bathroom users especially when brushing their teeth like in a dorm room. This matter will migrate into the brain and multiply. This may explain why snowflakes have Sxxx for brains.

We're not real sure about this but if I can get a Grant for $10,000,000. I promise to research this problem deeply.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 am

oldasrocks wrote:A long time ago I read that this "toilet Plume" will mist over the whole bathroom if you don't close the lid first. It will even cover your toothbrush with nasty germs. For this reason I will never brush my teeth again.

In communal bathrooms this can be a major problem as this fecal matter will migrate into the brains of the bathroom users especially when brushing their teeth like in a dorm room. This matter will migrate into the brain and multiply. This may explain why snowflakes have Sxxx for brains.

We're not real sure about this but if I can get a Grant for $10,000,000. I promise to research this problem deeply.

lol.... Friggin' love you. :rofl: :rofl:
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Gunns » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:50 am

DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
oldasrocks wrote:A long time ago I read that this "toilet Plume" will mist over the whole bathroom if you don't close the lid first. It will even cover your toothbrush with nasty germs. For this reason I will never brush my teeth again.

Ya we always shut the lid before the flush. Always.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Gunns wrote:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:

Not only do I shut the lid prior to flushing, but I ALSO keep a cap on my toothbrush, for when my husband forgets to close the lid.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Rocks, you used the plural "teeth". Didn't you mean "tooth" :?
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby ReadyMom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:29 pm

Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:34 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:

Rocks, you used the plural "teeth". Didn't you mean "tooth" :?
Reb

Well I could just put a cap on the glass with my teeth in it. but I still want the 10 mil for research.

Lid? What's that. The ex used to complain about not putting the seat down so I just took it off.

Reb is probably confused on this " flushing" thing. He's probably outside now trying to find the flush handle in his outhouse.
oldasrocks

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:44 pm

IceFire wrote:
Gunns wrote:
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:

Not only do I shut the lid prior to flushing, but I ALSO keep a cap on my toothbrush, for when my husband forgets to close the lid.

Hate to burst the bubble(Or is it Plume? :) ), but Mythbusters covered this ages ago..... Seems the fecal matter on the toothbrush is coming from the sink water vs the Plume...Funny episode though. :D
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/surprise-toothbrush-minimyth/

somehow we'll all survive....

Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:10 pm

See? Toilet to sink to toothbrush- quit brushing!!!!!

BTW- if you flush with the lid up are you covered in fecal matter also? Is this what they call "toilet water" ? Why would they bottle that stuff anyway? This is getting more confusing all the time.

Maybe you need 'toilet water" to spray on yourself if in an outhouse and flushing is not an option? I haven't seen "toilet water" on the market for a while so with the invention of the flush it was not longer necessary to carry a bottle.
oldasrocks

Postby daaswampman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Mythbusters was a pretty good TV show - but that is what it was. Considering how few people wash their hands, let alone properly wash their hands, I doubt a little arosol crap would make much of a difference. I don't wash my hands or flush in public restrooms like Walley World! I figure a little of MY crap on me is better than someone else's! I do carry those little hand sanitisers that come in individual packets. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather