• Advertisement

Dirty, Dingy Hospitals: Doctors Blame Debt-Fueled Takeovers

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

Postby daaswampman » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:32 pm

[snip]

There are two groups Community Health Systems Inc. can’t push too far: the doctors at its hospitals, and the debtholders it owes billions of dollars. Right now, the creditors are winning, and the doctors aren’t happy.

In Fort Wayne, Indiana, the rancor about Community’s neglect of a local health system has gotten so bad that a group of doctors tried to get rid of corporate ownership and buy the company out. And 1,500 miles away on the island of Key West, Florida, doctors say patients are being overcharged so that Community, sometimes called CHS, can rake in cash.

The two locations are among Community’s most lucrative, and their conflicts are part of the flip side of an industry wide acquisition binge over the last decade. For-profit hospital chains like Community borrowed billions to snap up rivals, facing massive debt reimbursements just as the benefits of the Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare, began to wane.

“I understand that they have billions in debt and may need to take money from this chain to service it,” said William Pond, an anesthesiologist at one of the Fort Wayne hospitals and president of the county health department’s executive board. “But it’s very disappointing to see the course that CHS is taking and the devastating effect they’re having on our community.”

Once the biggest U.S. for-profit hospital chain, Community is selling off other, poorly performing facilities to pay off $2 billion of its $15 billion in debt. Yet even as the company skimps on spending and patient satisfaction lags at key facilities like Fort Wayne, its bonds are rising in value

Quality has been suffering at the flagship Lutheran Hospital in Fort Wayne, which has about 400 beds. Patients rate their overall experience at two stars, compared with four stars at the crosstown hospital owned by nonprofit Parkview Health, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services’ Medicare.gov website.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... eover-boom

This is a widespread problem an not limited to this company. If you have not checked out https://www.medicare.gov/, you should. Not every hospital is rated and if yours is not rated, that should concern you! Go to site, choose find hospital, and enter your zip code.
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Dirty, Dingy Hospitals: Doctors Blame Debt-Fueled Takeov

Postby Cin » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:49 pm

Thanks, Swamp!

I'm pleased to say our little local hospital has 4 stars.

Here's the direct URL to input info and compare hospitals in your local area:

https://www.medicare.gov/hospitalcompare/search.html
Cin

Postby IceFire » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:16 pm

I've noticed a definite decline in patient care/satisfaction and rise in prices ever since hospitals started going from non-profit to for-profit (I'm old enough to remember when the majority of hospitals were non-profit.) Ever since the for-profits groups have taken over, hospitals have gone to crap.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Stahlrosen » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:53 pm

Same here. I have had several unfortunate Dr. / hospital visits lately, and they want to treat you, with something that may or may not help, they don't even really know, or run tests, that cause other problems, but wait, they have a drug to fix those problems >:( So they load you up with more drugs that cause other problems, but then they have a drug to fix that too >:(
Our medical system is truly evil. I am sure there are a handful of Dr.s that get into it for the right reasons, but I haven't found too many lately. The Dr. who put my ankle back together 3 years ago was one, but haven't seen one since.
The last major univ. hospital I was in, I think I would have to clean the room before I let my dog in there. Parts of it were ok, others not so much.
Stahlrosen

Postby Dirk Williams » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:43 pm

VA is my health care provider. I'm fortunate, to date only minor issues. Certainly not what's being reported in the news.

It's only going to get worse,

DW
Dirk Williams

Postby Gunns » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:01 pm

4 stars for our hospital.

Though my new premium insurance now costs 2.75 times what it did a few years ago and my deductible is $3,000 (was Zero) and copay is $100 (was$20) I think I got lucky.
:thumbdown:
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Dirk Williams wrote:VA is my health care provider. I'm fortunate, to date only minor issues. Certainly not what's being reported in the news.

It's only going to get worse,

DW

My VA hospital was among the worst in the nation. Since Trump started firing the incompetents, he has put the "fear of God" into them.
The turn-around and change of attitude for the better is utterly amazing. The dems couldn't accomplish this is eight years? Obama promised he would!
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network
Virginia Preppers Network

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather