• Advertisement

The big one is coming!

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

The big one is coming!

Postby daaswampman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 pm

The big one is coming, and it's going to be a flu pandemic:

(CNN)Experts say we are "due" for one. When it happens, they tell us, it will probably have a greater impact on humanity than anything else currently happening in the world.

And yet, like with most people, it is probably something you haven't spent much time thinking about. After all, it is human nature to avoid being consumed by hypotheticals until they are staring us squarely in the face. Such is the case with a highly lethal flu pandemic. And when it comes, it will affect every human alive today.

Pandemic flu is apolitical and does not discriminate between rich and poor. Geographical boundaries are meaningless, and it can circle the globe within hours. In terms of potential impact on mankind, the only thing that comes close is climate change. And, like climate change, pandemic flu is so vast, it can be challenging to wrap your head around it.

When most people hear "flu," they typically think of seasonal flu. No doubt, seasonal flu can be deadly, especially for the very young and old, as well as those with compromised immune systems.

For most people, however, the seasonal flu virus, which mutates just a little bit every year, is not particularly severe because our immune systems have already probably seen a similar flu virus and thus know how to fight it. It's called native immunity or protection, and almost all of us have some degree of it.
Babies are more vulnerable because they haven't been exposed to the seasonal flu and older people because their immune systems may not be functioning as well.

Pandemic flu is a different animal, and you should understand the difference. Panˈdemik/: pan means "all"; demic (or demographic) means "people." It is well-named, because pandemic flu spreads easily throughout the world. Unlike seasonal flu, pandemics occur when a completely new or novel virus emerges. This sort of virus can emerge directly from animal reservoirs or be the result of a dramatic series of mutations -- so-called reassortment events -- in previously circulating viruses.

In either case, the result is something mankind has never seen before: a pathogen that can spread easily from person to defenseless person, our immune systems never primed to launch any sort of defense.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/07/health/fl ... jay-gupta/
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: The big one is coming!

Postby AuntBee » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:12 pm

There have been reports that some migrants are bringing diptheria, mumps, and other diseases that were cured in the Western world. Is it possible a mutation could result from those new/old diseases? Or is it most likely to be flu? I notice the drug stores are overflowing with OTC cold remedies lately. And posters all over the place inviting everybody to get a flu shot

Aunt Bee
Not a CNN fan
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Postby apache235 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:14 pm

OK, I got to climate change and looked to see that this was from the Communist News Network, 'nuff said.
apache235

Postby Blondie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:29 pm

AuntBee wrote:There have been reports that some migrants are bringing diptheria, mumps, and other diseases that were cured in the Western world. Is it possible a mutation could result from those new/old diseases? Or is it most likely to be flu? I notice the drug stores are overflowing with OTC cold remedies lately. And posters all over the place inviting everybody to get a flu shot

Aunt Bee
Not a CNN fan

You're Back!

It brings tears to my eyes!!!! :'(
Living In A Powder Keg & Giving Off Sparks
Blondie

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:41 pm

Seeing Aunt Bee makes my heart go pitter patter faster! Hi Aunt Bee I have missed you.

Well the Pope said there are too many people on earth so? If it comes it comes and there is not much we can do about it.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby AuntBee » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks Blondie and OAR! ❤️
AuntBee

Postby IceFire » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:10 pm

BEE! We had search parties out looking for you! Good to se you're back.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:17 pm

apache235 wrote:OK, I got to climate change and looked to see that this was from the Communist News Network, 'nuff said.

That is the point! The liberal left is saying there are global issues beyond global warming and a headline was not about Trump! I can't imagine CNN admitting there are problems, that cannot be fixed with open boarders, free healthcare, handouts, and safe areas! Is CNN getting soft or just running out of things to blame on Trump and his legions of Deplorable's. Swamp
daaswampman

Postby daaswampman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Glad your back Agent Bee! How was the weather in Moscow? Swamp
daaswampman

Postby MoosePath » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:24 pm

Call me a conspiracy theorist, I think all of us preppers have a little of that in us, but I feel this could be the next big thing. The world is getting over crowded and the "powers that be" know this. We are using up all the natural resources of this planet and the "pretty people" need a way to stop this from happening. Wars destroy property and infrastructure, poisons land and water and could potentially lead to nuclear war or melt downs of power plants. The powers that be certainly do not want this. EMP's could accomplish huge population declines but also could destroy property by riots and power plant meltdowns. But a planned pandemic could keep much of the planets resources intact. Strategic people could be put in place to power down nuclear plants as the pandemic wanes and the people in power have a vaccination to keep the "right" people safe. Most likely riots would be to a minimum because people will not venture outside for fear of getting the flu, and if they did they would avoid large crowds. They'd make a half hearted effort to appear to be doing something but the cure would never happen until populations plummeted. They wouldn't let everyone die because you would need the servants to work for their new world masters. I don't know maybe this way of thinking is off the deep end but I wouldn't be surprised if this scenario came to fruition. You can call me nuts but we just bombed a man who poisoned his own people, humans in power over the length of history have shown the propensity to eliminate undesirable people. Resources on this planet are slowly running out and there will be lots and lots of unnecessary undesirable people using up those valuable resources. Food for thought.
MoosePath

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:08 am

MoosePath wrote:Call me a conspiracy theorist, I think all of us preppers have a little of that in us, but I feel this could be the next big thing. The world is getting over crowded and the "powers that be" know this. We are using up all the natural resources of this planet and the "pretty people" need a way to stop this from happening. Wars destroy property and infrastructure, poisons land and water and could potentially lead to nuclear war or melt downs of power plants. The powers that be certainly do not want this. EMP's could accomplish huge population declines but also could destroy property by riots and power plant meltdowns. But a planned pandemic could keep much of the planets resources intact. Strategic people could be put in place to power down nuclear plants as the pandemic wanes and the people in power have a vaccination to keep the "right" people safe. Most likely riots would be to a minimum because people will not venture outside for fear of getting the flu, and if they did they would avoid large crowds. They'd make a half hearted effort to appear to be doing something but the cure would never happen until populations plummeted. They wouldn't let everyone die because you would need the servants to work for their new world masters. I don't know maybe this way of thinking is off the deep end but I wouldn't be surprised if this scenario came to fruition. You can call me nuts but we just bombed a man who poisoned his own people, humans in power over the length of history have shown the propensity to eliminate undesirable people. Resources on this planet are slowly running out and there will be lots and lots of unnecessary undesirable people using up those valuable resources. Food for thought.

Interesting theory. Has merit. I would be inclined to agree.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Postby oldasrocks » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:37 am

Natural or manmade? Natural, if Mother Nature gets tired of man and like a rabbit overpopulation, a virus goes through the excessive population. In this case very few would survive and the nuke plants would probably blow. The only survivors would be a few Africans way back in the bush.

Manmade would show a few survivors that come out of their bunkers to find there is no one left to wait on them and take orders.

At this point I am beyond caring. Maybe because I am old. Maybe because I know man will never stop fighting and killing each other for stupid reasons. We are upset because some poison gas was accidentally released and killed a few people. So what do we do? Bomb the heck out of them and kill a few more innocents.

Why do we search and spend money on new and faster ways to kill each other? Imagine if this money was spent on good and crop production. Instead we search for feeble excuses to kill our neighbors. We put people in camps instead of spending the same money to eliminate the bad guys. We NEED the bad guys so we can spend more money on new toys to kill.

Spray the earth with Prozac or something and calm people down.
oldasrocks

Postby JayJay » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:47 am

oldasrocks wrote:Natural or manmade? Natural, if Mother Nature gets tired of man and like a rabbit overpopulation, a virus goes through the excessive population. In this case very few would survive and the nuke plants would probably blow. The only survivors would be a few Africans way back in the bush.

Manmade would show a few survivors that come out of their bunkers to find there is no one left to wait on them and take orders.

At this point I am beyond caring. Maybe because I am old. Maybe because I know man will never stop fighting and killing each other for stupid reasons. We are upset because some poison gas was accidentally released and killed a few people. So what do we do? Bomb the heck out of them and kill a few more innocents.

Why do we search and spend money on new and faster ways to kill each other? Imagine if this money was spent on good and crop production. Instead we search for feeble excuses to kill our neighbors. We put people in camps instead of spending the same money to eliminate the bad guys. We NEED the bad guys so we can spend more money on new toys to kill.

Spray the earth with Prozac or something and calm people down.

Hundred million on that exercise--imagine if that was used toward our infrastructure or even solar energy for us!!
Oh, yeah, not one peep from LSM or white house about white genocide in S. Africa??
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby Cin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:47 am

Blondie wrote:
AuntBee wrote:There have been reports that some migrants are bringing diptheria, mumps, and other diseases that were cured in the Western world. Is it possible a mutation could result from those new/old diseases? Or is it most likely to be flu? I notice the drug stores are overflowing with OTC cold remedies lately. And posters all over the place inviting everybody to get a flu shot

Aunt Bee
Not a CNN fan

You're Back!

It brings tears to my eyes!!!! :'(

Me too! I'm so happy to "see" you! :clap:
Cin

Postby Cast Iron » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:02 am

Howdy Aunt Bee.

Good to see you again.
Beware of the guy with only one Cast Iron pan . . . he likely knows how to use it.
Cast Iron

Next

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather