• Advertisement

Americans are drinking more. A lot more:

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

Postby daaswampman » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:59 pm

[snip]

Americans are drinking more. A lot more. According to a new study published in JAMA Psychiatry, an estimated one out of every eight Americans struggles with an alcohol disorder.

The study tracked drinking patterns among 40,000 people between the years of 2002 and 2003, and then again from 2012 to 2013 to create a long-term picture of their habits. The results are chilling, especially in light of other substance abuse crises plaguing the country.

Women, minorities, older people among most affected

Overall, alcohol use disorders rose by almost 50%, affecting a projected 8.5% of the population during the first research period, and 12.7% during the second. That’s almost 30 million Americans actively struggling with alcohol abuse.

The numbers are even more grim for certain groups. According to the research, alcohol use disorders have almost doubled (92.8%) among the African American population, and increased nearly 84% among women.

However, the group that saw the highest increase in alcohol abuse disorders actually wasn’t women or minorities. It was senior citizens. Individuals 65 and older saw a staggering 106.7% increase in alcohol use disorders from 2002/2003 to 2012/2013. For 45- to 65-year-olds, that increase was also high at 81.5%.

It’s not just alcohol abuse

The study didn’t just track alcohol abuse. It also tracked other patterns like “high risk” drinking, which the study defines as four or more drinks a day for women and five for men, plus a day that exceeds those limits at least once a week.

“High risk” drinking has increased on pace with alcohol abuse, swelling from 9.7 percent of the population in 2002-2003 to 13.7 percent of the population in 2012-2013.

A chilling echo

The study was conducted by researchers from the National Institute on Alcohol and Alcoholism, the New York State Psychiatric Institute and Columbia University, and relied on rigorously controlled self-reporting of drinking habits. While there was no clear reason as to the increases, researchers claimed it constitutes a “public health crisis” on par with the current national opioid crisis.

http://wtvr.com/2017/08/11/americans-ar ... -lot-more/
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: Americans are drinking more. A lot more:

Postby ReadyMom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Wonder where preppers fit into that report? We should be drinking ourselves blind with the stuff we follow! :bored:
Image Emergency Home Preparation.org -- A 'card-catalog' style of prepping information.
Image Also on Facebook: EmergencyHomePreparation (all one word)
:caution: Anything I post may NOT be used for commercial purposes or any type of 'For-Profit' distribution.
ReadyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby oldasrocks » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:33 pm

I only drink at two different times. When I'm alone or when I am with someone.

I do have about 3 bushels of grapes ripe if anyone wants to make some wine. Concord grapes.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:15 pm

I have the occasional glass of wine in the evening before going to bed, to help me sleep. Other than that, don't see much point in it, otherwise. I brought 3 cases of wine with me when we moved here. Took me five years to finish it off.

I take that back...it's now been six years, and there are still a few bottles from that original 3 cases. Of course, in the last year or two, I HAVE bought a few bottles here locally.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby PatrioticStabilist » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Hubby and I quit drinking over 30 years ago I suppose and don't even think about it.

DIL has a drink now and then, son drinks more then he should but about 1 day a week.
PatrioticStabilist

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather