• Advertisement

MENTAL HEALTH WORKERS ARE BEING PHYSICALLY ABUSED

Post General Louisiana Topics Here

MENTAL HEALTH WORKERS ARE BEING PHYSICALLY ABUSED

Postby daaswampman » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:59 pm

MENTAL HEALTH WORKERS BEING PHYSICALLY ABUSED MORE THAN EVER.

[snip]

Mental health workers are vital to our society, especially considering a quarter of the world will suffer from a mental or neurological disorder at some point in their lives, according to the World Health Organization. As you may imagine, the job is far from easy. In a new report called ‘Struggling to Cope’, the harsh realities of the profession are revealed.

Within the past year, two out of five National Health Service (NHS) workers have been physically assaulted by one of their patients, the Guardian reports. This includes everything from being strangled, headbutted, and bitten, according to more than 1,000 mental health workers who reported their personal experiences via a survey conducted by Unison, one of the biggest trade unions in the United Kingdom.

“On a daily basis I would say that patients are verbally aggressive. Rather than being an unusual occurrence I now consider this almost a default position for a large number of patients,” one staff member wrote in the survey.

A majority of those surveyed say that the problem exists because their employers are understaffed. Many of the workers believe the delays for patients to get treatment leads to their frustrations.

“Severe staff shortages mean fewer mental health nurses to deal with a rising number of users with complex needs,” Sara Gorton, Unison’s head of health, told the Guardian. “As a result many staff are having to work alone, making violent attacks more likely.”

Rest assured that this problem is as great or greater here! Drug abuse is also a factor in the majority of adults with chronic mental health issues seen in emergency facilities.

How does this effect us?

ER wait times increase due to holding mental health patients awaiting placement.

Nursing Homes designed for the elderly being filled with mental health patients.

More facilities refusing Medicare and Medicaid to avoid unprofitable patients.

Chronic staffing shortages resulting in poor service and a lack of qualified staff.

Would you work for minimum wage with violent and HIV positive patients?

Last week we treated an elderly man from a local nursing home. He had been repeatedly raped by another and much younger patient, who had a history of mental illness, drug abuse, HIV, and sex offences. He said it had been going on for weeks and nobody believed him until they notices him bleeding!

There is no short term solution to this problem! If you have someone in a facility and you suspect neglect or abuse - treat it a Gospel until proven otherwise.
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Re: MENTAL HEALTH WORKERS ARE BEING PHYSICALLY ABUSED

Postby Cin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:51 pm

It is a sorry state of affairs, because most nursing homes are notoriously short-staffed and they have to put up with people whom the family cannot handle, for whatever reason (physically or mentally).

I made it a point to visit my relatives in the nursing home on a daily basis, coming in at odd times. I also made it a point to do something kind for the staff - I brought flowers in vases from my rose garden when they were blooming, and baked or bought treats for the staff each week. I also volunteered time to help out a few hours, usually with the activities director.

It's a hard thing to care for the elderly, the staff needs all the help they can get.
Cin

Return to Louisiana Discussion, News and Weather