• Advertisement

storing food without climate control

Discuss general food topics here

storing food without climate control

Postby PREPPEDVET » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:10 pm

I know the main rule to long term food storage and it staying fit for consumption is light and temperature. I recently bought some off-grid property in the middle of no where. It has every type of resource needed except there is literally no electricity or running water anywhere near it. closest electric pole is 1/2 mile away, same with water. which is both good and bad. Eventually, I'll have both ran to the property but that's years away. My question is, I'm gonna have to move my food supplies to a storage building on the property I built but I'm concerned about the temperatures affecting shelf life. Here in the midwest, we get all the extremes, summer heat can reach 110+, winter, we can get down below 0 degrees F. Obviously, I am insulating this building quite well but was curious if anyone else had tried to store non-perishables in such conditions and what the results/problems ran into were?

I also have the idea to possibly build an old style/fashion root cellar. However, the water table is somewhat high despite being on a hill (lots of streams and natural springs). so I can't go real deep, so I was considering an above ground root cellar built into one of the spurs of the hill.

Thoughts?
PREPPEDVET

Re: storing food without climate control

Postby rebnavy1862 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:31 pm

You can bury a scrapped chest freezer partially in the ground and cover the top half with straw bales. Plastic food grade barrels with screw on lids can be done the same way. Pick a spot with northern exposure. Caulk the inside seams of the freezer box with silicone to prevent water entry.
I sell such barrels, but I am in Virginia. Check Craig's List for your area.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby PREPPEDVET » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:32 pm

got any idea what the food grade barrels run average? also, the only food grade barrels im seeing around this area are from liquids and they just have a 2 inch bong instead of a full screw on lid
PREPPEDVET

Postby JayJay » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:44 pm

http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/

I bought 20 (30 gallon) drums for water, stacked 2 high in the garage.

We drove 175 miles twice...because water is that important to me.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby rebnavy1862 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:11 pm

PREPPEDVET wrote:got any idea what the food grade barrels run average? also, the only food grade barrels im seeing around this area are from liquids and they just have a 2 inch bong instead of a full screw on lid

They sell for around $25. I buy them by the tractor trailer load and sell them for $22. Look for food repackagers in the large cities. It is the standard world-wide shipping container.

"2 inch bong" :? :? Was that a Freudian slip or did you mean "bung"?
Reb :D
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby rickdun » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:34 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:"2 inch bong" Was that a Freudian slip or did you mean "bung"?

HEE, HEE, HEE, your a hoot Reb.

I don't care who your are, now them there words of Reb's are funny.

Dope on a rope.

Now, what does freudian mean, I only went to 8th grade.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby Illini Warrior » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:01 pm

rickdun wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:"2 inch bong" Was that a Freudian slip or did you mean "bung"?

HEE, HEE, HEE, your a hoot Reb.

I don't care who your are, now them there words of Reb's are funny.

Dope on a rope.

Now, what does freudian mean, I only went to 8th grade.

tooo much Gallo wine - a skinless frankfurter - and a guy that will forever sing soprano
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:54 pm

We get food grade 5 gallon buckets from a chinese restaurant for free. They smell like soy sauce. You need to build a cave with a hidden entrance.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:19 pm

oldasrocks wrote:We get food grade 5 gallon buckets from a chinese restaurant for free. They smell like soy sauce. You need to build a cave with a hidden entrance.

Get 5 gallon buckets from grocery store bakeries. They smell like vanilla. Most places are free, but Walmart charges a dollar.
Reb

rebnavy1862

Postby JayJay » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:46 pm

rebnavy1862 wrote:
oldasrocks wrote:We get food grade 5 gallon buckets from a chinese restaurant for free. They smell like soy sauce. You need to build a cave with a hidden entrance.

Get 5 gallon buckets from grocery store bakeries. They smell like vanilla. Most places are free, but Walmart charges a dollar.
Reb

Oh, man. A few years ago when I started using the buckets, the WM here wouldn't even sell them. I was told they were given back to the provider??
I'll need to ask. I like the 2/3 gallon buckets for heavy sugar.
HAPPINESS is not a fish you catch but a fish you feed.
JayJay

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:01 am

JayJay wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:

Reb

Oh, man. A few years ago when I started using the buckets, the WM here wouldn't even sell them. I was told they were given back to the provider??
I'll need to ask. I like the 2/3 gallon buckets for heavy sugar.

Check with local restaurants and Deli's as well...Pretty easy to get food grade 5 gal buckets.
They get a lot of them and if not on a grand scale like WM are more likely to not be returning them to supplier...

Most likely they'll smell like pickles. ;)
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby Grizbrb » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:24 am

Back to the question on food in the storage building . Get you a lot of pipe. At lest 100' of 3 or 4 inch preferred . Bury the pipe below your frost line with one end sticking out of the ground down hill of the building and the other end in the floor of the building . You will need a vent in the top of the building . This should draw air from the outside into the pipe at ground level bringing ground temp air ( 45/58 degrees) into the building .
Some important things . No dips in the buried pipe or you will trap water from condensation . If for some reason the pipe does not draw add a bilge vent fan to the floor end of the pipe and a solar panel system . This gives you a passive temp moderator .
Grizbrb

Postby sageprice » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:14 pm

Traditional food preserving such as salting, dehydrating and canning all store well in root cellar environments. Don't think it take a full blown cellar to store preserved food. Larger cellars are good for seasonal crops such as cabbage, apples and squash, jugs of cider and beer store well in the approximate 45-50% degrees of root cellars. Build 2 and make one a cool spot in the summer. :)
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby NJMike » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 am

For smaller scale use, I've tried the clay garden pot within a much larger pot, with damp sand in between and a damp towel on top. It definitely keeps the items in the smaller pot much cooler in hot weather.

Found a related article (there are others out there too):
http://graywolfsurvival.com/2874/keep-f ... zeer-pots/

In terms of commercial products, this is something to keep an eye on, although I'd almost bet it uses the science in the 3rd world example
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/busi ... -cool.html
NJMike
New Jersey Preppers Network
New Jersey Preppers Network

Return to General Food Topics