• Advertisement

HONEY: powder

Discuss general food topics here

HONEY: powder

Postby AuntBee » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Augusson Farms sells powdered honey. Since real honey doesn't spoil, why would anyone store honey powder? Unless it's b/c the powder weighs much less? Or is there a secret recipe?

Aunt Bee
Mildly insulted at the very idea
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Re: HONEY: powder

Postby Stahlrosen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:41 am

That does seem odd. Wonder how it reconstitutes, as far as consistency? I would think some of the antibacterial properties / benefits would be gone by dehydrating it?
Stahlrosen

Postby Illini Warrior » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:12 am

AuntBee wrote:Augusson Farms sells powdered honey. Since real honey doesn't spoil, why would anyone store honey powder? Unless it's b/c the powder weighs much less? Or is there a secret recipe?

Aunt Bee
Mildly insulted at the very idea

just like anything else concentrated - more in a smaller space - from what I see the usual reconstituting mix is 50/50 with water ....

users seem to be referring to it as "honey syrup" - some aren't pleased with that and the sweetner additives ....
Illini Warrior
Illini Warrior

Postby oldasrocks » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 am

Guessing it may not be pure honey but maybe something called :honey powder" like was said above.

Aunt Bee, just don't forget to buy a supply of dehydrated water for your stash.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:01 am

I bought a small can a couple years ago, it sucked, threw it out, went back to 100% pure honey.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:15 am

oldasrocks wrote:Guessing it may not be pure honey but maybe something called :honey powder" like was said above.

Aunt Bee, just don't forget to buy a supply of dehydrated water for your stash.

Aunt Bee, don't listen to OARS. I bought a can of dehydrated water a while back. When I opened it, it was empty!
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862
Virginia Preppers Network

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:19 am

rickdun wrote:I bought a small can a couple years ago, it sucked, threw it out, went back to 100% pure honey.

And there you have it... :thumbup:

Quick easy answer from personal experience... Thanks Rick(and Aunt Bee for asking)......The recent topics of discussion has me trying a bunch of Augson Farms product for the first time....This saves me cash!
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:38 am

I like Augason Farms. So far, everything I've tried was good. Haven't tried the honey. I store the real thing.
Reb
"Then call us Rebels if you will, we glory in the name, for bending under unjust laws and swearing faith to an unjust cause, we count as greater shame". Richmond Daily Dispatch May 12 1862

Semper Fi, Sic Semper Tyrannis, Remember The Alamo, and Aide'toi et Dieu T'aidera!
rebnavy1862

Postby rickdun » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:36 am

rebnavy1862 wrote:I like Augason Farms. So far, everything I've tried was good. Haven't tried the honey. I store the real thing.
Reb
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:
rickdun wrote:I bought a small can a couple years ago, it sucked, threw it out, went back to 100% pure honey.

Quick easy answer from personal experience... Thanks Rick(and Aunt Bee for asking)......The recent topics of discussion has me trying a bunch of Augson Farms product for the first time....This saves me cash!

I buy alot of Augson Farm stuff, via wal-mart, some items on sale plus free shipping on orders over 35.00, can't beat it.

LetsPrep got me on the wal-mart thing with augson.
rickdun

Postby DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:39 pm

rickdun wrote:
rebnavy1862 wrote:I like Augason Farms. So far, everything I've tried was good. Haven't tried the honey. I store the real thing.
Reb
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE wrote:

I buy alot of Augson Farm stuff, via wal-mart, some items on sale plus free shipping on orders over 35.00, can't beat it.

LetsPrep got me on the wal-mart thing with augson.

Nice...Didn't know about the no shipping over $35...I normally avoid them vs Amazon since their website is clunky and slow but their prices are right there if not sometimes better than amazon and I'm prime there....I have to say, other than groceries, 99% of our stuff comes from amazon....You can see why brick and mortar is going bye-bye....I do try to support mom and pop as much as possible, but the price differences sometimes are huge.

Going to Wal-Mart today to check it out....Thanks again to all imputers in the last few days in the different threads talking about your experiences with AF. :thumbup:
Preparation through education is less costly than learning through tragedy.
-- Max Mayfield

If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln
DR1VENbyKNOWLEDGE

Postby IceFire » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:56 pm

Maybe they buy it because
(a) they don't realize honey stores forever;
(b) they figure they can store more because with the liquid removed, so is a lot of the bulk/weight
c) they're worried about not having enough honey to last.

I have several quart jars of honey that I have been buying from a local beekeeper. (I go through about a quart every 4-6 weeks) Next year, I hope to not have to purchase any more honey AT ALL, since my bees are now here, and I'm hoping to be able to start to harvest around this time next year. At that point, I'll be harvesting, jarring, and storing my OWN honey. (although I'll probably have to set up several more hives, since son-in-law wants to start making mead.)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby AuntBee » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Mmm...mead!

OAR & Reb - nothing wrong with my dehydrated water stash. :x It comes from a reputable company, too. Image
It even comes with a free tap! Image
AuntBee

Postby daaswampman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:50 pm

The following is from their website! First you do not know where it came from. Second Ingredients: Honey Powder (Refinery Syrup, Honey), Fructose.

Why don't they just call it what it is? Oh that's right - Would anybody buy - Powered Chinese Honey Flavored Syrup!

[snip]

About this item
Important Made in USA Origin Disclaimer: For certain items sold by Walmart on Walmart.com, the displayed country of origin information may not be accurate or consistent with manufacturer information. For updated, accurate country of origin data, it is recommended that you rely on product packaging or manufacturer information.
Augason Farms Honey Powder is perfect for use in recipes. Reconstituted, it is delicious on breads, rolls, or muffins. Family owned and operated since 1972, Augason Farms believes that great taste is a tradition worth preserving. Crafted with a focus on taste and health, their products are manufactured to the highest standards. Let them provide you with delicious peace of mind.
Augason Farms Honey Powder:
Packaged for long-term storage
Easy to prepare
No refrigeration needed
All natural
For emergency food storage, camping or everyday use
Ingredients:
Ingredients: Honey Powder (Refinery Syrup, Honey), Fructose. Processed In A Plant That Handles: Wheat, Egg, Dairy, Soybean, Peanut, Cashew, Walnut, And Almond Products.
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby rickdun » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Just add de-hydrated H2O and you're good for life. Buying me a couple cases of each.

One case I'm going to send to Reb, free of charge.
rickdun

Postby rebnavy1862 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:23 pm

AuntBee wrote:Mmm...mead!

OAR & Reb - nothing wrong with my dehydrated water stash. :x It comes from a reputable company, too. Image
It even comes with a free tap! Image

Your images did not come up for me. Knowing you, they are probably hilarious.

Swamp, Dollar Tree, which is almost 100% Chinese imports, sells "honey". If you read the ingredients it is only honey flavored sugar syrup.

Reb

rebnavy1862

Next

Return to General Food Topics