• Advertisement
New Forum Rules
Please Read

Any thoughts on the current "Gun ban craze"?

Topics about guns

Any thoughts on the current "Gun ban craze"?

Postby HunterOfGunmen87 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:43 pm

I've been reading the news a lot here lately and getting a feel for the current agenda. It's mostly crazy talk of going back to Clinton era gun ban laws. I for one am appalled at what happened in Conn. but I don't see the reason for a drastic step towards gun control. I mean there are already back ground checks in place and the ATF has the surpressor and SBR tax stamps down. I don't own any assault weapons. I do own AR's though and coming from the military it's hard to place a civilian model colt AR-15 up against a 3 round burst military model or my favorite with the fun switch. Maybe I'm just ranting. What's the general concensus?
HunterOfGunmen87

Re: Any thoughts on the current "Gun ban craze"?

Postby Uncle D » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Gun bans will not help prevent what happened at that school. Where I live in Casper WY another crazy went to our college and killed his own father who as a teacher with a bow in the classroom full of students. He only used a bow because he could not get a gun legally. So even if you ban guns and magically make them disappear from the world, the nut cases will get the next available weapon like Bows in Casper or knives like the school in China that happened the same day. So you can ban guns but you will still have school killings. Gun bans do not solve the problem.

The only real workable solution is to arm the teachers. Issue each teacher a 9mm pistol, give them some training so they know how to handle it safely, give them a small gun case that is bolted down in their classroom. Allow the teachers to defend themselves and our kids.
Uncle D
Wyoming Preppers Network
Wyoming Preppers Network

Postby BrentCO719 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:49 pm

I think schools should all have security, whether local officers or trained armed security. I went thru 2 metal detectors going to school... got in trouble numerous times for having a folding knife in my pocket from the mornings ranch work. I dont feel a gun ban would do anything but make people want to stock up on more ammo and weaponry. I would have to agree to that bows, knives, a simple peice of glass can kill someone just as easily. I think required gun safety and arms training to own a gun would make more sense...
BrentCO719

Postby mmpaints » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:38 pm

IMO, it's the typical knee jerk response our politicians give us every time someone bad does something. Their predictable behavior is to shove more "laws" onto law abiding citizens like it will actually make some sort of difference. We elected these idiots.
"Life is hard. It's even harder if you're stupid". - John Wayne

WARNING- i change my avatar frequently for my own enjoyment. Complaining about it won't help ;)
mmpaints
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby Das Sheep » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:40 pm

Disclaimer: I am not a huge fan of our current POTUS.

Still, he has not done a whole lot to try and ban guns. Are there Democrats who will try to ban them? Sure, but they are always trying that. I am sure he will tow that line, but I don't imagine it would get close to passing in congress. I am not worried.
Das Sheep
Florida Preppers Network
Florida Preppers Network

Postby grouster » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:46 pm

"I don't own any assault weapons. I do own AR's though" ???
The AR-15 is considered one of the "so called" assault weapons.

It is just another knee jerk reaction to a disgusting event, that was the act of a sick coward. Meth and other drugs are illegal, yet they are everywhere. It is illegal to come into the U.S. without proper paperwork and there are how many illegal aliens here? Isn't the act of murder itself illegal already? More children drown than are killed be guns, yet we don't ban pools and ponds. How many are killed by drunk drivers, so let's ban cars! All anyone should have to do, is look at the violent crimes in places like Chicago and New York to see that gun bans do not work. I get sick of the utopian idea of banning a certain type of weapon will make the good people more safe.

Funny though, that they don't look at how many of the ultra violent and mass crimes are committed by people on "antidepressants" and other legally prescribed mood altering drugs. Then again, we wouldn't want to slaughter the big pharma cash cow would we..
grouster
Indiana Preppers Network
Indiana Preppers Network

Postby dadoftwins08 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 pm

BrentCO719 wrote:I think schools should all have security, whether local officers or trained armed security. I went thru 2 metal detectors going to school... got in trouble numerous times for having a folding knife in my pocket from the mornings ranch work. I dont feel a gun ban would do anything but make people want to stock up on more ammo and weaponry. I would have to agree to that bows, knives, a simple peice of glass can kill someone just as easily. I think required gun safety and arms training to own a gun would make more sense...

in 1970 a group of terrorists raided a school in isreal(spelling?). killing alot of children. since then isreal(spelling?) has had concealed carrying staff working at the schools. since the staff carrying has begun there hasent been another school shooting to this day to my knowledge.

maybe congress should take note of that

now im not saying arm all teachers. i mean we have enough issues with them keeping there pants on. we dont need to add to it. what im suggesting is a lockbox system like most airlines have now. a box in cocpit of plane with a pistol in it in case of hijacking. put one in principals office in case of nutjob. if there was one in ct instead of running at gunman flayling arms. she could have shot at him. even if she missed at minimum she could have held him at bay long enough for staff to get kids to safety or police to arrive.
dadoftwins08
Rhode Island Preppers Network
Rhode Island Preppers Network

Postby HunterOfGunmen87 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm aware of what I said. The AR-15 is considered a assault weapon by those uneducated on what an actual assault weapon is. If we were to be PC with things then anything I use is an assault weapon. But I do agree that it is just another knee jerk reaction. I just like the whole commotion that is being caused over this but when the Fast and Furious mess up was brought to light nothing was muttered about it. No matter how you spin it something bad was going to happen that day and it's unfortunate and sad.
HunterOfGunmen87

Postby Mtn_Hiker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:35 pm

TN considering bill to arm teachers. Obviously they will have to go through additional checks and training.
Since we have a large number of ex military who are teachers, I would say for liability reasons those are going to be the targeted ones for the training.
Our local schools are considering in addition paying for training on volunteer basis, self defense and various forms of combat procedures.
Mtn_Hiker

Postby helmetmike » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:55 pm

I find it interesting that almost all of these "sensational" and tragic shootings are done by nut jobs who are breaking countless gun laws to commit murder. I personally would like to see a national "shall issue" concealed carry law with schools being declared gun carry mandatory for the staff. I also would like to see the current "gun free zone" laws challenged for being culpable in the deaths of all these kids. The current "gun free zones" deny people their right to self defense and in the current case, their life. Had there been armed staff at that school the outcome might have been much different given the demonstrated courage of the staff and adult victims. Either way the politicians and lefty gun grabbers will probably succeed in making law abiding citizens into criminals. I predict that gun bans will end up creating a prohibition atmosphere similar to the roaring 20's where people will ignore the laws and keep their guns underground.
helmetmike

Postby valannb22 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 am

I am not anti-gun, BUT I don't think having schools full of armed teachers is an answer. What happens when a teacher stresses to the breaking point and pulls it out on a room full of kids? What happens if a shooter does come into a school and a bunch of kids is caught in the crossfire between the shooter and the teacher? What happens when a student flips out and takes the key to the safe from the teacher by force or gets it without the teacher noticing and goes on a rampage? Obviously criminals and people that are severely mentally ill aren't going to care about whatever gun laws are already in effect so passing more isn't the answer either. I think having a couple of VERY well-trained security guards/police officers and bullet-proof glass on all the doors and windows is probably a more realistic plan. In addition, have the doors to schools locked so that no one can get in and have them monitored at all times. Maybe even keep the doors to classrooms locked in case someone does get into the school. Of course, they'd all have to be the kind that would let everyone out in case of a fire or something.
valannb22

Postby RayMac1963 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Das Sheep wrote:Disclaimer: I am not a huge fan of our current POTUS.

Still, he has not done a whole lot to try and ban guns. Are there Democrats who will try to ban them? Sure, but they are always trying that. I am sure he will tow that line, but I don't imagine it would get close to passing in congress. I am not worried.

I keep saying the same thing Das, but they seem to be getting some traction. Ol "foot in mouth" Joe ain't got much else to work on so that kind of got me nervous. :bored: I hope it fades.
"Laugh all you want, but when the zombies come we both know who's house you'll be running to for protection" - TheYankeeMarshal

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby HunterOfGunmen87 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Well stores and online sales of the AR and its magazines have the economy booming on that side of the house! Glad I'm all set in that area. Ammo is a pain to find now as well.
HunterOfGunmen87

Postby Jluck » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:03 pm

I think it's Obama's only stimulus plan that might work.
Jluck

Postby Spanish Lizard » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:20 pm

Spanish Lizard
California Preppers Network
California Preppers Network

Next

Return to Guns