• Advertisement

April, 2013 MA Preppers

Welcome. Introduce yourselves here

Moderator: Lynda

April, 2013 MA Preppers

Postby Lynda » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:28 am

If you're out there, please check in. You've all been so quiet lately.

Lots going on here. My new room is finished down in the basement so now I have a better organized pantry. My husband worked really hard on this and went above and beyond.

Now with the weather turning warmer I can begin to transplant the hardier plants I've started that are growing nicely indoors: cabbage, lettuce and spinach. It's my first year of growing these from seeds rather than getting plants from my neighbor so maybe I can give her some.

I am so done buying rice as I've got it by the bucketful and we laid in a good supply of pinto beans and dried vegetables in addition to what I dried last year.

Next week we'll be putting in a chicken run and getting some egg layers to perch in our little coop. I'm excited about this and look forward to my first experience with chickens.

What plans have you got this year?
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Re: April, 2013 MA Preppers

Postby terrapin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:59 am

Lynda,
It sounds like you've got yer ducks in a row.

Big garden...

Chickens are the number one-most essential-food source.
You won't be disappointed in the chickens.

Next would be a milk-cow.

terp
terrapin

Postby Lynda » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:09 am

terrapin wrote:
Lynda,
It sounds like you've got yer ducks in a row.

Big garden...

Chickens are the number one-most essential-food source.
You won't be disappointed in the chickens.

Next would be a milk-cow.

terp

Terp! No cows! I did consider a goat but I think egg laying chickens is all I can handle right now. :D

Lynda

Postby dmwalsh568 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:41 am

Doing fine over here. Got my second faraday cage trash an setup to hide a few more electronics in case that NK satellite has a nasty surprise inside.

Going out to grab a few plants and seeds later this morning. Going to try growing potatoes for first time here. Got a nice bag so I can move things indoors if weather surprises me.

Keeping an eye on the h7n9 bird flu news so I ordered some more n95 filters for my masks.

Plenty of things to worry about... :(
dmwalsh568

Postby terrapin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:28 am

Lynda,
My oldest son has the milk-cow and calves. And about 60 hens.
My youngest son has beef goats, and milk-goats.
They each live about a half-mile from me.
One to the west, one to the north.
We all grow lots of veggies.
The milk is great--both kinds.
One milk goat would easily supply milk for two, and more.
Plus, they normally have a couple of kids--good meat!
terp
terrapin

Postby Lynda » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:33 am

terp, sounds like a good deal for all of you. Wish I had the space. And a barn.

Lynda

Postby jkile01 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi there~

My name is John, and I am new to this forum. I currently live in Boston but am planning to find a more rural setting in the near future. I was in the army for four years, and while I am new to this forum I guess I've always been somewhat of a prepper--I've always been very good at keeping supplies on hand, always having an emergency supply of everything, but I'm very interested in taking it to a new level and really familiarizing myself with all aspects of prepping and survival.

If anyone wants to say hello, that would be great--I don't know if there's many like-minded people located in MA?

~John
jkile01

Postby Lynda » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Welcome from the Brookfields, John.

Lynda

Postby jkile01 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:35 am

Hi Lynda~

Nice to meet you, and thanks for the welcome. Are there any active groups in the state, do people ever meet up and discuss/learn from each other? I'm a pretty self-sufficient person but there's so much I want to learn!

~John
jkile01

Postby Lynda » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:40 am

jkile01 wrote:Hi Lynda~

Nice to meet you, and thanks for the welcome. Are there any active groups in the state, do people ever meet up and discuss/learn from each other? I'm a pretty self-sufficient person but there's so much I want to learn!

~John

Last year I extended invitations to anyone in Massachusetts to meet at my home. I didn't receive any input so I'm disinclined to do it again for a number of reasons, mostly because my time is limited. Too many other groups and meetings I'm involved with. There are several others here who've expressed the desire to meet up. I suppose you could find out where others are located in your area and organize something.

Since everyone is relatively far apart the logistics may be difficult unless something could be planned at a "half-way" location.

Lynda

Postby 13Foxvet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:36 pm

Just wrote up a quick post in the introducing thread, but thought I'd check in here too and see what is going on locally. I'm in central Mass South of Worcester, and just starting with prepping. Not looking to survive an apocalypse just making through natural disasters without having to worry about food/water/warmth/safety. The winter concerns me the most and I've seen what happens when people aren't ready. I was at Camp Edwards when they bussed in dozens of families that were affect by hurricane Katrina.

First question, any farmers out there? I've got about 30 square feet in garden boxes, and a 20' X 40' useless plot of land on my property. Just wondering what type of crops would be the best to grow, the type of soil that would/would not work, and what kinds of fruit trees are best to plant. Thanks. Talk to you all later.
13Foxvet

Postby Lynda » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:17 am

13Foxvet wrote:Just wrote up a quick post in the introducing thread, but thought I'd check in here too and see what is going on locally. I'm in central Mass South of Worcester, and just starting with prepping. Not looking to survive an apocalypse just making through natural disasters without having to worry about food/water/warmth/safety. The winter concerns me the most and I've seen what happens when people aren't ready. I was at Camp Edwards when they bussed in dozens of families that were affect by hurricane Katrina.

First question, any farmers out there? I've got about 30 square feet in garden boxes, and a 20' X 40' useless plot of land on my property. Just wondering what type of crops would be the best to grow, the type of soil that would/would not work, and what kinds of fruit trees are best to plant. Thanks. Talk to you all later.

You're not too far from me then. Re: garden. Our vegetable garden isn't much bigger than your plot but we did have to treat the soil with a layer of good topsoil(it was sandy) and cow manure every other year. You can grow just about anything; tomatoes, squashes, beans, cukes, lettuce, cabbage, pumpkins, even watermelon. Potatoes.
Apple trees flourish in this area and we've planted grapes and blueberries. Thinking about putting in some blackberries, raspberries in addition to the wild bushes we have.
You might want to consider constructing a small greenhouse, too. Not expensive and you can get an early start on cabbage, spinach, lettuce, even peppers.

Lynda

Postby Tanker_2728 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Just checking in with all. Our group continues to prep. We are training those who were not ex military/fire/police/EMS to have the basic skills with firearms, not punching holes in paper but solid carry methods, night fire, drills etc. Along with this I am a ham radio operator, and teaching the group basic radio and communication techniques. Hopefully some will also get licensed. Add to this we have a master gardener teaching all about vegetable gardening, what grows here in the hills, what seeds to store, how to store. We meet on a regular basis and always with a topic and training. Prepping is a mind set, just collecting stuff will not get keep you alive, knowing how to use what you find and what you see is more important. Owning a firearm is important but knowing how to use it, when not to use it and having the will to use it when necessary makes a lot of sense. I suggest that everyone, experienced or not keep their skills sharp. Learn to be observant ! Tanker
Tanker_2728

Postby Lynda » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 am

Tanker, thanks for checking in. Where are you located?

Lynda

Return to Check In Here Massachusetts Preppers