• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

What are Your Experiences?

Welcome. Introduce yourselves here

Moderator: Lynda

What are Your Experiences?

Postby olinprep » Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi,

I'm a student at Olin College taking a class on User-Oriented Collaborative Design. In this class, I am studying how to design with a group of people to find a good product idea for them. I chose to design for survivalists, and want to hear about your experiences - why do you prep, and what do you feel is most important to prep for? Are there any misconceptions that really bother you?

I was wondering if anyone on this forum was interested with sharing experiences and designing with me. If you would be interested in this, please email (E-mail address edited out by forum moderator. DO NOT post personal contact information on the open forum! Use the PM function.) Everything we do for this project will be kept completely confidential, and your names will never be mentioned. Thank you very much.
olinprep
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:51 pm
Karma: 0

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby Lynda » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:40 pm

Okay, since I just received a PM from you, I'm not quite sure what it is you're asking in terms of "user-oriented collaborative design. Since Olin is primarily an engineering college, other than slapping together a bunker(no, I don't have one), what is it that you need?
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
User avatar
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7451
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:53 pm

Design me a Knight XV that I can afford to build.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network
 
Posts: 2384
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm
Karma: 72

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby olinprep » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Oh, we don't need much from you other than you time. We just were wondering if we could talk to you and ask you some questions. We're trying to understand prepping as best as we can in order to design an idea that may be help make it easier.

oldasrocks, I just looked that car up - it's gorgeous haha. Have you built cars before? Why do you want a Knight XV specifically?
olinprep
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:51 pm
Karma: 0

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby LeeLynn » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Consider prepping like any form of insurance. People prep "just in case". No guarantee your house will burn but you get insurance just in case. No guarantee you're going to wreck but just in case. No guarantee we'll ever need our preps but just in case. Also we guard our privacy. Good luck
LeeLynn
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:56 pm
Karma: 73

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 pm

Read about the Knight XV, bullet proof, has it's own internal air system, etc etc. Since it has a price tag of $535,000 I can't afford it but want one. It's on my list of wishes which include a Sherman tank. NO don't build cars. I want one because, well I'll think of a reason eventually.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network
 
Posts: 2384
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm
Karma: 72

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby olinprep » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:44 pm

Haha, so it's slightly more reasonable to get a Knight XV than a Sherman tank. Is price a general problem when getting materials to be prepared? You mentioned being able to build a cheaper version of a Knight XV - even though you don't build cars, do you enjoy getting your hands dirty and building things for yourself or your family?
olinprep
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:51 pm
Karma: 0

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby olinprep » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:47 pm

LeeLynn wrote:Consider prepping like any form of insurance. People prep "just in case". No guarantee your house will burn but you get insurance just in case. No guarantee you're going to wreck but just in case. No guarantee we'll ever need our preps but just in case. Also we guard our privacy. Good luck


Yea, Insurance is a good way of putting it - a better self reliant insurance that isn't dependent on others! What types of materials and supplies do you get for it? I feel you on the privacy - it took me a lot to feel comfortable with posting on this forum as well. How do you guard your privacy - are using forums like this OK, or does that make you uncomfortable too?
olinprep
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:51 pm
Karma: 0

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby Lynda » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:53 am

[quote="olinprep"]Oh, we don't need much from you other than you time. We just were wondering if we could talk to you and ask you some questions. We're trying to understand prepping as best as we can in order to design an idea that may be help make it easier.

I think if you scroll around the forum your questions would be answered. It really isn't a new concept. Or you can log onto both FEMA and CDC sites. Look up National Emergency Preparedness Month, etc.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
User avatar
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7451
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby LeeLynn » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:08 am

olinprep wrote:
LeeLynn wrote:Consider prepping like any form of insurance. People prep "just in case". No guarantee your house will burn but you get insurance just in case. No guarantee you're going to wreck but just in case. No guarantee we'll ever need our preps but just in case. Also we guard our privacy. Good luck


Yea, Insurance is a good way of putting it - a better self reliant insurance that isn't dependent on others! What types of materials and supplies do you get for it? I feel you on the privacy - it took me a lot to feel comfortable with posting on this forum as well. How do you guard your privacy - are using forums like this OK, or does that make you uncomfortable too?

I will not tell you what I have. I will simply say that we are well prepared and we will not be looking for government assistance in a crisis. The word around us may crumble but our world will essentially remain the same.
LeeLynn
 
Posts: 1870
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:56 pm
Karma: 73

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby oldasrocks » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:27 am

LeeLynn wrote:
olinprep wrote:
LeeLynn wrote:Consider prepping like any form of insurance. People prep "just in case". No guarantee your house will burn but you get insurance just in case. No guarantee you're going to wreck but just in case. No guarantee we'll ever need our preps but just in case. Also we guard our privacy. Good luck


Yea, Insurance is a good way of putting it - a better self reliant insurance that isn't dependent on others! What types of materials and supplies do you get for it? I feel you on the privacy - it took me a lot to feel comfortable with posting on this forum as well. How do you guard your privacy - are using forums like this OK, or does that make you uncomfortable too?

I will not tell you what I have. I will simply say that we are well prepared and we will not be looking for government assistance in a crisis. The word around us may crumble but our world will essentially remain the same.


That's a good way of putting it. It boils down to PRIDE.

A prepper is a person that wants to be able to take care of him/herself without stooping to need guberment assistance for minor problems. For the same reason people have a 401K for longer term survival we try to focus on short term problems too.

Some people scream that we owe them or one reason or another when the real answer is they are too lazy and worthless to fend for themselves. First they are too lazy to get an education then cry no one will hire them. The people who actually do need help because of medical reasons and or disasters are lost in the shuffle of the freeloaders. When the drain is too great on the guberment society fails.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network
Missouri Preppers Network
 
Posts: 2384
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:41 pm
Karma: 72

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby Excaliber » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:32 am

A prepper is a person that wants to be able to take care of him/herself without stooping to need guberment assistance for minor problems. For the same reason people have a 401K for longer term survival we try to focus on short term problems too.

Some people scream that we owe them or one reason or another when the real answer is they are too lazy and worthless to fend for themselves. First they are too lazy to get an education then cry no one will hire them. The people who actually do need help because of medical reasons and or disasters are lost in the shuffle of the freeloaders. When the drain is too great on the guberment society fails


:thumbsup:
Excaliber
 
Posts: 105
Images: 0
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:58 pm
Karma: 3

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby Lynda » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:57 am

I think the OP is trying to gather information from knowledgeable preppers so that he can apply this to development for a course related project. He happened to choose survivalism. I don't think the college or its students is trying to "sell" anything.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
User avatar
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network
Massachusetts Preppers Network
 
Posts: 7451
Images: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:30 pm

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby dmwalsh568 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:29 am

What do I prep for?

Pretty much anything. :floppytongue:

But since I don't have unlimited funds (at least until the Powerball jackpot comes my way), I just keep adding things to the supplies as both money and space allow. What kind of things? Water filtration was first, then some #10 cans of FD food. Next was a rocket stove and various ways of starting a campfire. I have always stocked various OTC medicines, but I increased the quantities and added KI pills in case of I-131 contamination locally. A standby generator was a big purchase and greatly added to our peace of mind. Recently I added a backup propane heat source given how crazy the snow has been here in MA and it's good to have a backup in case both utilities and the generator fail.

Layered preps have been my goal for over a decade, where I can slowly fall back from full modern comfort to barely better than stone age in steps. Best example in my situation is cooking: gas stove that will work as long as natural gas flows, then propane grill, then fire pit, then charcoal and dutch oven/cast iron pans, then rocket stove with camping cook gear. In good weather I have a solar oven, but that's not very effective on cloudy days. I have something similar for lights with the generator, then flashlights with solar recharging for batteries and hand crank flashlights, then paraffin lanterns, and finally candles.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that it's important to not focus too much on one specific scenario. Certain types of preps are good for multiple situations, like FD food and stored water are always useful, assuming you aren't on the run, but even then the FD food is light weight and a good water filter can be a lifesaver. And I have a big garden cart (400 lb capacity) that I can use to get water back home from the river, or use to pickup food at any markets that are open if we can't use cars, etc.

Security type items are good too, but I don't discus that online...it's the one area where I'm a big believer in OpSec.

So to design a useful prepping item it has to be cost effective, space effective and useful in multiple situations. Nothing like some contradictory design parameters, eh? :innocent:

I hope this didn't ramble too much, the piles of snow have me a bit scatterbrained these days. Glad I don't live in Buffalo or AK, I'd be a basket case...
dmwalsh568
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:21 am
Location: MetroWest MA inside of 495
Karma: 13

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby olinprep » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Lynda wrote:I think the OP is trying to gather information from knowledgeable preppers so that he can apply this to development for a course related project. He happened to choose survivalism. I don't think the college or its students is trying to "sell" anything.


Yes, that's pretty accurate, thanks Lynda. Also, just FYI - I'm a she.
olinprep
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:51 pm
Karma: 0

Next

Return to Check In Here Massachusetts Preppers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for the APN Email Newsletter - Enter your e-mail address below


  Links and Resources
  -Links
  -Podcasts
  -Free Ebooks



Trusted Sponsors











Copyright
For Notices of Copyright infringement and to contact our DMCA Agent please follow the link below:
Copyright Policy

For terms of use, rules, and policies please read our Disclaimer