• Advertisement

What are Your Experiences?

Welcome. Introduce yourselves here

Moderator: Lynda

Re: What are Your Experiences?

Postby Lynda » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:50 pm

olinprep wrote:
Lynda wrote:I think the OP is trying to gather information from knowledgeable preppers so that he can apply this to development for a course related project. He happened to choose survivalism. I don't think the college or its students is trying to "sell" anything.

Yes, that's pretty accurate, thanks Lynda. Also, just FYI - I'm a she.

Sorry about that but as has been suggested, a focus on one particular scenario would narrow the scope of your project. I can't speak for anyone else but I prepare for many things; natural disasters, weather related events(I know that Needham, where Olin College is located must have had some snow), power outages, etc.

For example, we were without power in central MA for nearly a week. We have well water which needs electricity to operate the pump. However, we have generators and a transfer panel to run the house off-grid, thus ensuring that we had lights, heat and power, aside from a wood stove. We also have a manual well pump.

Pick a disaster and go from there, whether it's short term or long term.
THINK......It's not illegal yet.

I Am Responsible For What I Say. I Am Not Responsible For What You Understand.
Lynda
Massachusetts Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:51 pm

olinprep wrote:
Lynda wrote:I think the OP is trying to gather information from knowledgeable preppers so that he can apply this to development for a course related project. He happened to choose survivalism. I don't think the college or its students is trying to "sell" anything.

Yes, that's pretty accurate, thanks Lynda. Also, just FYI - I'm a she.

Sorry about that but as has been suggested, a focus on one particular scenario would narrow the scope of your project. I can't speak for anyone else but I prepare for many things; natural disasters, weather related events(I know that Needham, where Olin College is located must have had some snow), power outages, etc.

For example, we were without power in central MA for nearly a week. We have well water which needs electricity to operate the pump. However, we have generators and a transfer panel to run the house off-grid, thus ensuring that we had lights, heat and power, aside from a wood stove. We also have a manual well pump.

Pick a disaster and go from there, whether it's short term or long term.

Lynda

Postby oldasrocks » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:38 pm

So why don't we send her to Alaska to live with the preppers up there for first hand experience?

Or send her to me. It's garden time which means lots of manual labor.
oldasrocks
Missouri Preppers Network

Postby Permafrost » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:47 am

I got a buddy she could stay with out in one of the villages out on the Yukon River. I don't think she would like it very much though, it would be a extreme culture shock. His mail order bride took one look when she got there and decided it was better back in her own country.

The poor girl is just trying to pass a class, no need for her to get frostbite.
Permafrost
Alaska Preppers Network
Alaska Preppers Network

Postby Lynda » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:41 am

No need for this student to go anywhere. We have enough snow and ice here in MA with more on the way.

Lynda

Postby oldasrocks » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:19 am

Lynda wrote:No need for this student to go anywhere. We have enough snow and ice here in MA with more on the way.

But do you have polar bears that need to be milked? Seals that need to be boiled for their oil? Dogs sleds to repair? I've read that some remote Eskimo tribes all sleep together under the same blanket to keep warm. Now without a bath for a few months and a bean diet this would provide a unique experience for said student.
oldasrocks

Postby Lynda » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:30 am

oldasrocks wrote:
Lynda wrote:No need for this student to go anywhere. We have enough snow and ice here in MA with more on the way.

But do you have polar bears that need to be milked? Seals that need to be boiled for their oil? Dogs sleds to repair? I've read that some remote Eskimo tribes all sleep together under the same blanket to keep warm. Now without a bath for a few months and a bean diet this would provide a unique experience for said student.

No, but I have eggs to gather, snow to shovel and rake off the roof and wood to bring in. Does that count? :D

Lynda

Postby AuntBee » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 am

Alaska would be a good choice. It's the only state without an Isil prescence. :p
AuntBee
New York Preppers Network

Postby olinprep » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:15 pm

Lynda wrote:
olinprep wrote:
Lynda wrote:Sorry about that but as has been suggested, a focus on one particular scenario would narrow the scope of your project. I can't speak for anyone else but I prepare for many things; natural disasters, weather related events(I know that Needham, where Olin College is located must have had some snow), power outages, etc.

Yea, there's been a crazy amount of snow over the last couple weeks. Yea, that's a really good idea, what are other common scenarios to think about? There are weather events, natural disasters, government issues, and what else?
olinprep

Postby Lynda » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:07 pm

Epidemics, pandemics, etc. You could always look at FEMA and CDC sites for more information.

Lynda

Postby IceFire » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:13 pm

olinprep wrote:Yea, there's been a crazy amount of snow over the last couple weeks. Yea, that's a really good idea, what are other common scenarios to think about? There are weather events, natural disasters, government issues, and what else?

Common scenarios are fairly dependent on location. For example, on the West Coast, earthquakes would be a likely scenario. Around the Gulf and East coast areas, think hurricanes. Northern areas, blizzards/ice storms. In my area, the most common threat is wildfires (we usually get a couple each year.) Then there are always droughts, floods (I've seen BOTH happening in the same area in the same year)
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby dmwalsh568 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:48 am

Don't forget the man made aka terrorism category of disasters. Dirty bombs, cyber terrorism, etc. dirty bombs are an explosive with radioactive material as a kicker to freak folks out although in some instances it might have harmful levels of radiation - not knowing can create as much terror as the explosion. Cyber terrorism could shut down the utilities including gas and electricity or it might "just" take down the banking system so ATMs and credit/debit cards wouldn't work. Real world terrorism might also take down the grid in a local area or even larger depending on size of attack, or it might shut down some major highways if bridges are damaged. Bioterism/accidental release is one of my nightmare scenarios and in Boston area its a real possibility with all the biotech firms and I kept hearing about a bio safety lab trying to get bsl3 or bsl4 certification even though it was fairly close to other people....

Ok I'll stop there before I need to put on a mask and hide in my supply room. :floppytongue:
dmwalsh568

Postby AuntBee » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:30 am

What we need are replicators. Not 3D printers, we need machines that use matter and energy from the surrounding environment to make food, water, and coffee. Then we need it to be about the size and weight of a cell phone. And they should be free.

Make it so.

Commander Bee
AuntBee

Postby oldasrocks » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:58 am

AuntBee wrote:What we need are replicators. Not 3D printers, we need machines that use matter and energy from the surrounding environment to make food, water, and coffee. Then we need it to be about the size and weight of a cell phone. And they should be free.

Make it so.

Commander Bee

Maybe we'll just duplicate 42 more Aunt Bees and grow a larger garden.
oldasrocks

Postby olinprep » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:49 pm

dmwalsh568 wrote:Don't forget the man made aka terrorism category of disasters. Dirty bombs, cyber terrorism, etc. dirty bombs are an explosive with radioactive material as a kicker to freak folks out although in some instances it might have harmful levels of radiation - not knowing can create as much terror as the explosion. Cyber terrorism could shut down the utilities including gas and electricity or it might "just" take down the banking system so ATMs and credit/debit cards wouldn't work. Real world terrorism might also take down the grid in a local area or even larger depending on size of attack, or it might shut down some major highways if bridges are damaged. Bioterism/accidental release is one of my nightmare scenarios and in Boston area its a real possibility with all the biotech firms and I kept hearing about a bio safety lab trying to get bsl3 or bsl4 certification even though it was fairly close to other people....

Ok I'll stop there before I need to put on a mask and hide in my supply room. :floppytongue:

Good point. Is prepping for people who create man-made crimes vs prepping for natural disasters a significant difference in the prepper community? As in, do most people only do one or the other, or is there a lot of overlap?
olinprep

PreviousNext

Return to Check In Here Massachusetts Preppers