• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

South Carolina Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Welcome To the South Carolina Preppers Network. Introduce Yourself Here

Moderators: MouseToes, ForwardPreppers, HCPrepper

South Carolina Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby North Idaho Patriot » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:18 pm

The American Preppers Network is conducting a network-wide roll call.

South Carolina Preppers, please reply to this post and let us know what you are doing to prep.

Are you new or not sure where to start?

Here are a few tips

Networking
The APN focuses heavily on promoting our state groups at the regional and local levels, more so than most forums. Here is the State Network directory, use it to get to know and communicate with others near you.
viewforum.php?f=36

Some other things you can do:
* Check in to your states group at least once or twice a week to help keep your local groups active
* See a storm or disaster in your area? Post about it and let others know
* Find a good deal at a local merchant? Tell us about it.
* Join your local CERT teams. Each state directory has a link that lists the teams in your state.
* Join ANTS (Americans Networking To Survive) ANTS is a unique group that forms supply chains between members so that members should not have to rely on the government for emergency supplies in a disaster. Here is their website: http://www.americansnetworkingtosurvive.org/
Here is their sub-forum here on APN: viewforum.php?f=618
* Join a local survival, preparedness, or sustainable living meetup group, or start one yourself. Meetup.com is a great social network that helps you meet others near you. APN is offering for a limited time free Meetup.com pages for our Gold members who want to start local Preppers meetups. Normally these pages are $20 a month to get started but with APN Gold membership being only $5 a month you can realize a net savings of $15 a month. Here is information on the offer: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9170

Learning
Here on the APN learning is free. Our index page (index.php) is organized and categorized so that you can browse easily by subject to find the categories you are looking for. If you dont see a topic that you are looking for you can use the search bar. If you still can't find what you are looking for, then pose a question in the appropriate category and our members are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Resources here on the forum:
* The basics section here on the forum: viewforum.php?f=616
* The Survival, preparedness, and sustainable living directory: viewforum.php?f=12

Free downloads:
* http://cd3wd.com/ (Over 4,000 titles totally over 13 gigabytes)
* http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html (Over 300 ebooks, manuals and pdfs for download or get them all on disk for free. There is a suggested donation of $2.97 to help cover shipping and handling)
* http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm Hundreds of military training manuals and coursebooks for download
*Here is an article on how to build your survival library for pennies on the dollar: http://www.americanpreppersnetwork.com/ ... y-for.html

Teaching
By sharing what you know on how to prepare, survive, or live sustainable you are helping others to become more self-reliant in the process. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." The more prepared everyone is and the more self-reliant everyone is, the freer we all are. When the unprepared become prepared they are no longer a liability for everyone else. Understand the difference between being in a disaster where there is only one able bodied person who is prepared and 10 who are unprepared vs a disaster where there are 10 prepared and only one who is in need. An unprepared populace that is dependent on the Government means less freedom for YOU. Do you see how you can "Find Freedom Through Teaching Others Self-Reliance"?

Some things you can do:
*Share your knowledge on these forums. You may find it to be a fair and equitable barter when you do. If are able to learn something from others here, then repay the favor by sharing with them what you know.
*Contribute articles to the blogs. The APN and state blogs are member and reader contributed blogs. We are holding a weekly contest now: viewtopic.php?f=606&t=9086
*Attend the local meetups if there are any in your community and teach your skills.

Do you have most of the bases covered already? Then reply to this post and tell us what you've been doing to prepare. You may inspire others to try something new. Good luck and Prep On!
North Idaho Patriot
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: South Carolina Preppers Roll Call 3/06/11

Postby pammypoo32 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:24 am

This week... bought in bulk: rice, beans, cocoa, grits, olive oil, salt, sugar. Have been canning meat when it's on sale at the grocery store, yesterday canned shrimp, last week chicken and beef stew. Hubby is stocking ammo. We are in an apartment right now and are hoping to purchase a piece of property within the month so as to get moved by gardening time. Have non hybrid seeds for veggies and herbs (culinary and medicinal) waiting to plant.
www.southernheartsoaps.com - Southern Heart Soaps Lotions and Potions
http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/ - Canning, Preserving and Long Term Food Storage
Proverbs 31:12-31
pammypoo32

Postby Chassishelper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:51 pm

Hey,

last week I had an appointment out the LDS cannery. Stocked up on some stuff and made another appointment while I was there. I upped my gas storage to 175 gallons. I vacuum packed some food as well. Starting to set up my garden area for this years planting, later this month.

Later, CB
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"... Thomas Jefferson...
Chassishelper
South Carolina Preppers Network

Postby Silent Bob » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

Silent Bob checking in . We were hoping to make the gun show this weekend , but used that $$ for more food and gas . We have been picking up the small solar walkway lights at Walley World It seams like a good way to have cheep lights . It will not light up a room the way a regular light does , but it will put out enough to keep from running into anything . Also have been working on our survival 3 ring binder .
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however, an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

SC District 5
Silent Bob

Postby joerbeineke » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:47 pm

Checking in. Present. Accounted for.

Things we're doing to prep:

Adding one 4'x8' raised bed per month. Nine down, 18 to go. Planting veggies as soon as I get room for them in the SFG grids.

Bought weaponry. Taught my spouse and teen boys how to shoot at a nearby range. It's only 22LR, but it's a start.

We became Shelf Reliance consultants. We buy and sell freeze-dried, long-lasting food. We have an organized rack for a FIFO storage system. We are teaching others about food retention and rotation.

Signed up for a gardening class at Lazy B Farms in April. Owner is a master gardener.

Wife attended a food storage conference in Salt Lake City.

Associating with other preppers, and inspiring new ones.
joerbeineke

Postby SCPrepper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:17 am

Got back from duty this weekend...not too much this week as of yet, but payday is Friday !!

Walmart on GF has solar lamps for the yard at 1.00 each...I plan on picking up a slew tomorrow....
SC District 5
SCPrepper

Postby hdnsc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:51 am

I be here.
Aldi's, (not sure of the spelling) has coffee in #10 cans for a lil' over $4 so got 12 cans for the stash. Hey gotta have creature comforts too. Bought a hand grinder off ebay for $20 and a couple bags of 50lb whole corn at Tractor Supply for $20, that will make alot of corn bread and grits! Trying to locate the best place in the area to buy bulk wheat. Any one know the answer to that? Also picked up a Mosin Nagant for my collection for $109 at Grady's Great Outdoors in Anderson. Didn't really need it but couldn't resist. I've been studying storage in the 1800's, I'm of the opinion they didn't have mylar bags and oxygen absorbers, and your not gonna have them later. So I've gone the bay leaf route like in the old days. Tried to cheer the wife up, she sees me preparing and thinks doom and gloom, while I on the other hand don't think that I feel like I'm providing for my family and protecting them. I tried to tell her not to think that way, always hope for the best but prepare for the worst, it's the way I was raised. And then that mentality was reinforced in the army. But I have stepped up things a bit, I don't know I feel bad that she's feeling this way. Ladies help.
As always thanks for your time,
HD
"I'm Southern, my loyalties are. God, family, friends, neighbors, community, town, county, state, country."
hdnsc

Postby Ocean56 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Just checking in. I'm fairly new at this so I've been doing research. I've checked out the reviews of books several have recommended and starting reading the blogs on all the info. So I'm surfing and thinking. We've got a compost pile going. We will do a small garden. I want to order some stuff like a solar radio or a hand-cranked one. There's alot to this. I'm learning from you.
Ocean56

Postby conniehunny » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:20 pm

We have temporaraily relocated from Florida to SC in January - however, Alabama is actually home where our family is and where our "stockpiles" are mostly - we have ammo and some food stored with us in current location; we are busy getting ready for a small garden - the best we can do in a rental situation currently. Looking forward to any tips and suggestions we can get.
conniehunny

Postby gannett » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Went to the gun show Sunday, just as they began to close down. Got a Bodyguard with laser. Went to Sportsman's Warehouse for powder and primers, and Lowes for kerosene.

Ordered several buckets of dried milk, beans, and whole grains from Be Prepared, and now looking at ordering more from our local LDS place.

Inventorying: all cast iron, all long term storage food, all cleaning supplies, dry goods, and health and beauty storage.

Determining which will be the very best and longest lasting supplements to order.

And ordered the deep well manual hand pump from Bison Pumps. (ouch, this one hurt!)
gannett

Postby MistWalker » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Did my planning updates with a G.O.O.D route plan using googleearth program to my "hurricane/Emergency retreat", stocked bulk beans, rice, and dried, smoked and vacuum sealed perishable meat products, made jerky, pemmican, and hardtack, stocked canned veggies and planned my garden for my stay and play. bought ammunition for shotgun and sidearm. Started a "get home bag", and worked on my vehicle and walk-out "BOBs". Looked for properties for sale.
Very Respectfully and Sincerely,

Mist

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"
MistWalker

Postby Rooster » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm here ... still looking for my SC Preppers avatar thought. :)
Rooster

Postby Chassishelper » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Trying to locate the best place in the area to buy bulk wheat. Any one know the answer to that?

Hey hdnsc!

the LDS cannery here in Columbia has bulk wheat. You can buy it and can it, or just buy the bulk bags. I do not have the prices here with me now, but I have another appointment for April 19 and I am probably going to buy some then. I am also trying to get the day off so I can make it to the prepper conference in April. Southernprepper1, who is one of the organizers/speakers for the conference, comes to the LDS here regularly. He is also in the upstate. Maybe you could get him to pick some up for you since you are both in the same area. If not, maybe we can talk at the conerence and set up an appointment at the cannery and you could come to Columbia and we could help each other out. The canning process goes faster with more help. It took about an hour for 2 of us to can 6 cases of food. I should know early next week if my leave will be approved for the conference.

Later, :)
CB
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"... Thomas Jefferson...
Chassishelper

Postby xzanna » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:38 pm

Present and accounted for. Keep working on the food supply and looking on getting a crank lantern and water filtration system.
xzanna

Postby hdnsc » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 pm

CB!

That would be outstanding!
Thanks,
HD
"I'm Southern, my loyalties are. God, family, friends, neighbors, community, town, county, state, country."
hdnsc

Next

Return to Check In Here South Carolina Preppers