• Advertisement

Join Your States Prepper Network. Click Here

What did you do to prep today?

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

What did you do to prep today?

Postby imtnt1 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:04 pm

Okay, Washingtonians....what did you do to prep today (or this week)?

I bought a corded phone! :eek: Who knew...you can still get one! I, of course, had to order it to be shipped to wally world. lol! Actually, I had just read something about cell phone service not working during an earthquake scenario and since we live ON a mountain, it didn't get here by sheer chance.

And while I was at Schwab's waiting for brake work, I was forced to watch a show about a major earthquake in Seattle by a fellow patron. So, I went and did some research on the shakeup.org/washington site and got some prep info for earthquakes. There's a shakeup Washington happening on Oct 18th. Most of the good info is from the California site where you can download handbooks, etc. There were some good questions to look into regarding home stability and such. Things to think about anyway.

Last, but not least, stocked up on a few more classic books mostly for the younger folks. Trying to get a good "library" in the event non-electrical entertainment becomes necessary. :shakeyes:

T
imtnt1
Washington Preppers Network

Re: What did you do to prep today?

Postby justamom » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:43 pm

:|
justamom

Postby ktrumpet67 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:20 am

i went out and got more beans,rice and wheat.

BTW. love the avatar. imagine my surprise when i went out the front door and found two beautiful morels in the front planter bed.......keep growing my pretties! soon i will eat you!
ktrumpet67

Postby MrDanB » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:11 am

Getting ready to seed the garden bed, made a purchase at LDS cannery, vacuum sealing dry goods, dollar store ventures and LOTS of reading :)
"If you can't see the bright side of life... Try polishing the dull side" :)

You may NOT use any of my published content in any format for any reason without my express written consent!
MrDanB
Washington State Moderator
Washington State Moderator

Postby FarmGirl » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 pm

I have been spending my days transplanting trees and bushes. Moving more forest dirt into my garden and getting ready to convert it to a "Back to Eden" garden with tons of wood chips. F.G.
FarmGirl

Postby imtnt1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:12 am

lol! I love morels and it's just about the season again... :drool: :drool: :drool:

I second the benadryl suggestion! I too have an allergy, could be iodine, but definitely related to shellfish. Gets worse each time. Once when I was a kid my dad was cutting through a big fallen tree when we were out for fire wood. He got distracted watching this big toad and cut right through a HUGE hornets nest. Not pretty....lots of benadryl used that day.

FG, the planting fever must have hit us all. I bought another nectarine and peach tree. The nectarine isn't looking so hot though. I'm hoping it will pull out of it with this milder weather. I need to get the rest of my strawberry plants moved. They aren't producing where they are b/c of the awful dirt. I'm filling a raised bed with them instead. I was pining for some concord starts but alas, don't think there will be a place ready for them yet this year.

Good job kt. I need to make a new inventory and see where I might have to restock. I remember saying a couple years ago that I felt like we were quickly coming into a time when, if one didn't have their food storage, they weren't going to afford to be able to get it. Boy, that is quickly becoming true, eh? W-mart had some #10 canned milk & such for decent prices, then they ran that 1/4 page newspaper add with some "sales" on it and boom...they jacked the price up nearly 150% after the sale. Ouch! They ran the ad to get the info out that they had this stuff and they must have had a big turnout on it, b/c they started stocking a lot more. I guess that's good though, b/c it means more people are prepping in some capacity or another.

Carry on fellow preppers! :D

T
imtnt1

Postby ktrumpet67 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:25 pm

Yay! +1 for the LDS cannery. nice people and they even like us non LDSers. BTW. ....forget wally world for milk. LDS has 25 pound bags for 48 bucks. yes you heard me right.......that is stupid cheap. It fills a 5 gallon bucket inside a mylar bag nicely. everywhere else you would have to pay north of $145 and some places more than $225. get it while you can. Cash and carry can meet their price on beans and rice but i usually get some while i am there for milk, and walmart has 25 pound buckets of wheat that are already packed away with O2 absorber and when you factor in getting it from LDS ( very reasonable) and buying the mylar and bucket and O2 absorber.......well walmart is about 50 cents cheaper. I agree about the price hike there. in fact last time i was there, i ended up holding court at the preps aisle :D I was talking to an elderly lady there about how the LDS and cash and carry had better prices on a few things, or how you could dehydrate your own veggies and and mylar them up, and before i knew it there was like 5 people standing there asking questions and chatting me up about preps. Funny.....i feel so inadequately supplied, but after listening to others it appears that i may have a pretty good start. It was nice to meet the others and help send them down an easier path than i had to start. Hopefully they will spread the news and get more people in our community going.

for today... i planted the garden and got starts going in the greenhouse. Racked my beer and hard cranberry lemonade into the secondary fermenters to clarify .......... because prepping and bagging is much better when you have a homebrew to enjoy ;)

off to the dollar store soon to see what i can't live without there, and will stop at wallyworld for some wheat and other goodies as well.

keep your head down and persevere!

Ktrumpet (Ken)
ktrumpet67

Postby Glockguy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:49 pm

Building a chicken coop and fencing it in.
Glockguy

Postby Matt117 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:28 pm

I bought a solar powered battery charger at Harbor Freight for $15 that charges from AAA to D cell rechargable batteries. I'll plant my garden this week.
Matt117

Postby nutcase » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Rebuilt chicken coop. That is it.
The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.
George Washington
nutcase

Postby ktrumpet67 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:51 pm

new gunsafe arrives today......woot woot!
ktrumpet67

Postby nutcase » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:05 am

I went out with a commercial beekeeper to my hives and he helped me split my 4 hives into 11. What a cool experience!!! I have a long ways to go but I am learning. Tomorrow I am going to barter with someone, they are borrowing my dump trailer and I get WVO (waste vegetable oil) in return. I use the WVO for fuel in my diesel vehicles.
The time is near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be free men or slaves.
George Washington
nutcase

Postby melissa9417 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:44 am

I was trying to learn how to navigate this site. I am intrested in finding seeds to grow, and store. I was actualy thinking of buying bulk to resale. Does anyone have any tips or connections for this?
melissa9417

Postby ktrumpet67 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:56 pm

for seeds, i have used and love..."Seeds of change" brand. they are non GMO, heirloom seeds and i have had great success with them. I also have some patriot supply and walmart #10 can of non hybrid , non GMO seeds in the food supply for any future need.
ktrumpet67

Postby sledder » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:17 pm

:thumbsup: I read my Bible, cleaned my guns and put some food items in storage....we also planted some lettuce, checked how the garlic was growing, covered the blue berry plants due to squirrls and tied the rasberrie plants to the bamboo stakes. Going to go to Cash n' Carry for long grain brown rice and more kidney beans. Maybe stop off at Manna Mills for some spices: BTW: Goldenseal is a wonderful medicinal herb, I used it in conjuction with cayanne pepper to break the bronchiel congestion I was having. Keep on prepping, time is getting shorter.... :wave:
sledder

Next

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather