• Advertisement

What did you do to prep today?

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Re: What did you do to prep today?

Postby IceFire » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:30 pm

Reb,

Haven't quite gotten to that point yet, because there's still so much work to do! Once the mesquite is cleared, the gardens, orchard, vineyard, pastures, livestock areas, and fields are all in, and ponds repaired, THEN I'll probably be at that point. Right now, though, I just keep looking at how much work there still is to do
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JerryTheViking » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Just scored 700 rounds for my AK47. 7.62x39 is getting harder to find...
Viking Heritage, Patriot Always!
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking
Washington Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Cleared more area in what will be the garden this morning, and framed in 6 new garden beds. If weather cooperates (we've been getting quite a bit of rain this week) I'll start working up the ground in the beds (currently packed down hard), work in some manure, and plant some more "cool season" crops (spinach, carrots, onions, beets, peas, etc.)
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Zip... :shakeno:
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:16 pm

Sitting here in deep sadness! I missed Powerball by just five numbers! So close - must try again!!! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:20 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:Zip... :shakeno:

Same thing here Ray. It is just too cold. It dropped to 47 degrees and foggy yesterday - Can't take much more of this! Swamp
daaswampman

Postby RayMac1963 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Oh shut up :x

Forty frickin Seven... it like 21 today
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Postby daaswampman » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:24 pm

RayMac1963 wrote:Oh shut up :x

Forty frickin Seven... it like 21 today

Weather.com says it's 29 in Nome Alaska! Have you seen any Northern Lights lately? Swamp
daaswampman

Postby IceFire » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Friday and Saturday, I framed up and worked up the ground in the asparagus and strawberry beds, (asparagus bed is 55ftx2ft; strawberry bed is 26ft x 2ft) worked manure into both, planted 72 asparagus crowns, edged the asparagus bed with parsley seed, edged the strawberry bed with green onions (AKA scallions) and planted spinach. Also framed up 3 beds for potatoes (each variety will have it's own bed, and still need to frame up another) and 5 other beds.

Since today is Sunday, and a "day of rest", I graphed out my garden plans. Also bought 30 strawberry crowns to plant this coming week.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby unventedanger » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:53 am

I keep asking this question but don't really get a complete answer, so we go again.
I can't keep up with my can food. I normally eat fresh, either self grown, raised or purchased.
I eat as much as I can but in trying to reach the one year supply I'm constantly find two and three year cans past the Best Buy date, which you can still eat but like said I have a lot.
I watch YouTube folk with all kinds of systems and well to be honest they must have tremendous energy and time to monitor the huge pantries they show in these videos.
Currently I'm looking at 70 to 80 cans of you name it and some will be 4 years before I can get them. Any good proven solution whould really be appreciated. Oh, one last thing I stop buying in bulk so the future looks good. Thanks in advance.

Out
unventedanger

Postby leangenes » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:08 am

unventedanger wrote:I keep asking this question but don't really get a complete answer, so we go again.
I can't keep up with my can food. I normally eat fresh, either self grown, raised or purchased.
I eat as much as I can but in trying to reach the one year supply I'm constantly find two and three year cans past the Best Buy date, which you can still eat but like said I have a lot.
I watch YouTube folk with all kinds of systems and well to be honest they must have tremendous energy and time to monitor the huge pantries they show in these videos.
Currently I'm looking at 70 to 80 cans of you name it and some will be 4 years before I can get them. Any good proven solution whould really be appreciated. Oh, one last thing I stop buying in bulk so the future looks good. Thanks in advance.

Out

If they are already past date, your only options are to eat them yourself, or maybe feed them to the chickens (or get a pig, mmmmbacon).

If you have some that are very near to their "best by date" but not yet past it, you might want to donate them to a food pantry that can pass them out to the needy quickly, before they have expired. Ask the pantry to give you a receipt and you might be able to deduct the price of the donated food from your income taxes. In my state, many food pantries are prohibited from distributing 'expired' food, but if there are still a few days left before it expires they will take it and pass it out first.

I have eaten commercially canned foods that are as much as 7 years past date, and other than being a bit bland or mushy, most were completely edible. Of course, any rusted, leaking, or bulging cans should be thrown out, but I am sure you already know that.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
I don't know what you do in New York, but around here we don't give a man a funeral unless we're pretty sure he needs one.---Fred Ziffel

Eat a live frog first thing in the morning, and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.-– Mark Twain
leangenes

Postby jean11 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:32 pm

This question has been on the forum several times before. The best buy date has more to do with grocery store rotation system for canned goods, than how long the food will stay good in the can. Canned food will stay good for 10 years or more, as a number of preppers on this forum have previously stated. If you notice a can that is bulging - that's another matter. Throw those out for sure.
jean11

Postby arkieready » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:01 pm

My prep for the day is trying to stay warm. It's 19 degs out, never got above freezing.
Always mindful that the power can go out, I use electric when I can. Conserving propane for "that time"
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby JerryTheViking » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:43 pm

I just finished reading One Year After, the sequel to William Forstchen's One Second After. I've got lots more prepping to do.
Viking Heritage, Patriot Always!
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking

Postby IceFire » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:09 am

Working on my BOW (Bug-Out Walker) Already have the cupholder in place, and working on a tie-on "caddy" for the front and both sides with LOTS of pouches and pockets for stashing stuff in. (Besides, it's cute. Even has lace on it.) Should be finished this morning. I'm even adding a holster for my 9 mil. Bad guys LOVE to target people they think are "helpless". They'd have another think coming.
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather