• Advertisement

What did you do to prep today?

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Re: What did you do to prep today?

Postby Gunns » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:01 am

Just put up another 50 pounds of pinto beans and 50 pounds of rice. The wife is making a list of spices she wants put up with them.

We stick 2 bags of rice and 2 to 3 bags (mylar/o2 absorbers) of beans into the 5 gallon buckets along with the fixings.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby JerryTheViking » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:39 pm

Ordered a new HAM radio, and bought another from a friend. First, I ordered a tiny little Chinese made dual band radio that will be my sacrificial every day carry radio in my vehicle. It allows me to move my more valuable radio into my faraday cage cabinet for protection unless it is actually being used. Second, I got a nearly new high end whiz-bang radio at a SUPER price from a friend, which will replace my current VHF/UHF radio in my portable station. This station is contained in a faraday enclosure also, but is a fully self contained full ham station. It just got more capability, and the radio I pull out of it will also go into my faraday storage cabinet for protection. The big plan is coming together.....

Now, if I could just put this kind of effort into my garden.
Viking Heritage, Patriot Always!
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking
Washington Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:43 pm

All nine fruit trees are in the ground. And, I'm considering ordering 4 nut trees. Glutton for punishment.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby IceFire » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:56 pm

Got the wood to frame in the doorways for the greenhouses. Also planted leeks and yellow onions, removed the corner t-post for the garden that son had bent (it was jammed in there BAD and required quite a bit of work to get it out) and replaced with a new t-post, then placed another two posts up the side and stretched wire along the posts. Came to a standstill after that, because there is mesquite that needs to be removed (or at least cut down) before I can go farther. Also got the soil for MOST of the blueberry bed (that runs along the perimeter fence where I just got the corner post in and wire up) worked up and sulphur added, then planted the two blueberry bushes I had purchased a couple of months ago. When they finally start getting the fruit trees and bushes back in, I need to get 3 more blueberry bushes to finish out that bed.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby TBL1061 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Prepped 200lbs of White wheat, 100lbs red wheat, 30lbs of pinto beans, 100lbs of rice, 30lbs rolled oats, 35Lbs of dried milk, got a deal on some #10 can meats, 5k 9mm and 5k 5.56.

Over the last two weeks.
TBL1061

Postby JerryTheViking » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:25 am

Been doing some reading.... "novels" about getting home after an "event". Both have been interesting reads, but it seems as if the books are written to mention specific brands of equipment... kind of like they are selling their favorite equipment.
What it has done for me is to make me rethink what is in my Get Home Bag. I've swapped my 3-day go bag for a more suitable Large Molle Ruck pack that will be more comfortable for a multi day hump. I've added more food to the pack after realizing that my work takes me far enough away that a multi day hump is most likely. Might need to add a small NVG.
Also been working up for the Cascadia Rising 2016 exercise that will be conducted in the Northwest next week. It has made me do some upgrades to my ham station to be more ready for a SHTF event like a big earthquake.
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking

Postby freeditorial » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:39 am

JerryTheViking wrote:Been doing some reading.... "novels" about getting home after an "event". Both have been interesting reads, but it seems as if the books are written to mention specific brands of equipment... kind of like they are selling their favorite equipment.
What it has done for me is to make me rethink what is in my Get Home Bag. I've swapped my 3-day go bag for a more suitable Large Molle Ruck pack that will be more comfortable for a multi day hump. I've added more food to the pack after realizing that my work takes me far enough away that a multi day hump is most likely. Might need to add a small NVG.
Also been working up for the Cascadia Rising 2016 exercise that will be conducted in the Northwest next week. It has made me do some upgrades to my ham station to be more ready for a SHTF event like a big earthquake.

If you are fond of reading novels then i suggest you to read novels online or download novels PDF in your smart phone. there is a another option, you can download android app and enjoy reading your favorite novels.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lextrendlabs.freeditorial
https://freeditorial.com/es/books/novelas-de-voltaire
freeditorial

Postby Worst-Case-Rob » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:30 pm

Went to the Dentist, don't laugh. Take care of your teeth, they're the only ones you'll ever have and when the SHTF and the Novocaine runs out, it's gonna be hell getting those cavities filled.
Worst-Case-Rob

Postby JerryTheViking » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:45 pm

[quote}If you are fond of reading novels then i suggest you to read novels online or download novels PDF in your smart phone. there is a another option, you can download android app and enjoy reading your favorite novels.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lextrendlabs.freeditorial
https://freeditorial.com/es/books/novelas-de-voltaire[/quote]

I like real books. I got an audio book recently, it was so abridged that it took away the details I was used to from that author (Tom Clancy). I'd rather not stare at my tablet / phone any more than necessary, and reading online just puts me to sleep. I need to be turning pages.....
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking

Postby JerryTheViking » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Got my second AK47 rifle outfitted and up to speed last weekend. Basically the same setup as my older AK with upgraded Magpul furniture, trigger, optics mounting rail and optic. Put an optic on my go-to handgun, and inventoried ammo. I need more.....

Worked on my "get home bag" supplies carried in my truck on a daily basis. It'll be time to change out warm weather clothes for cold weather stuff soon.

I need to rebuild my back fence to be more secure. I also need to do some range marks in the field behind my place based on my anticipated defensive overlook position in my shop.
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking

Postby catfeet » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:09 pm

Am working on:
batch 3 of tomato paste - this will be flat #2 for the year.
apple pie filling
more beans than I know what to do with daily

Got a second (and 3rd) knitting machine today, plus all sorts of pattern books and stands, very cheaply from craigslist. Bonus is that it was working when the woman died last year...
catfeet
Vermont Preppers Network
Vermont Preppers Network

Postby idahobeef » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:13 am

Tomato paste has DOUBLED in price at Walmart, from 48 cents each to 98 cents, so we saw some on sale and bought a whole flat. Bought 2 whole flats of peas (my family likes these vegies more than all others, for some reason). I'll never again order GREEN BEANS, no one wants to eat them, and I've only found one way of really useing them: in green bean casserole. Also, ordered 50 more lbs of white navy beans from Winco, it a good deal and they send it in a giant bag so you dont have to dig outta those goofy bins. Got more rolled oats, 50lbs. Stocked up on more instant coffee at the dollar store (I dont drink it, but its in a glass JAR and should last forever, good for trade in these small jars). And the dollar store has tons and tons of beans for just $1 per bag, a STEAL! Grabbed more Barilla boxed noodles, they were on sale and we love the farvalle and rigatoni for soups and stews. Stocking up on more HARD CANDY the day after Halloween, its usually half off and the hard stuff (and M7Ms) lasts for years and years. Finally, restocking the toilet paper, we've gone thru most of ours over the last 5 years, grrr!
idahobeef

Postby IceFire » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Added three cattle panels to my hay order for tomorrow. The panels will be used to finish an additional pen for the goats (and they are anxious to get over there and start browsing on the weeds and grass there.
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby JerryTheViking » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:40 pm

I put a list together a couple days ago of things to get to restock / stock up more in our food pantry. Also listed pet food in bulk because I hadn't started stocking any before. I've got a $500 Costco / Winco run coming up.
Got our RV back from some warranty work today, and started reloading it. I need to install a couple items for firearm security in the near future. I've been looking at installing one of my ham radios in the rig. With the reading I've been doing, there are a hundred fresh ideas of things to be done.
Communications A.N.T.S.
JerryTheViking

Postby rickdun » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Had an appointment at the VA in the city, took the wife and had lunch.

She did her winter shopping and picked up about 16 pounds of chuck roast, 2.99/lb and some canned vegetables at dollar general
3/1.00 (libby's brand), 2 cases of green beans, 1 case of peas, 1 case of corn. I don't know why she got them, we have tons that we canned down in the basement.

I went to harbor freight, picked up some tarps and then went over to dunham's sporting and picked up 4 bricks of .22 shells, remington thunder bolts (500/brick) 31.99/brick, also picked up 2 boxes of 12 gauge/00 buck, 25/box for 18.99/box.

Stopping to vote after supper tonight.
"EVERY DAY'S A HOLIDAY AND EVERY MEAL'S A FEAST, SEMPRI FI DO OR DIE"
rickdun
Pennsylvania Preppers Network
Pennsylvania Preppers Network

PreviousNext

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather