• Advertisement

At what age should a person stop prepping?

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Re: At what age should a person stop prepping?

Postby unventedanger » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:04 pm

Mar. 9, sitting here in my greenhouse wondering if most of you understand the question or not. So let me be clear! Can you now or at what age can you not defend your preps? Forget the young you hope to teach or the family members who are not on board, or may even think you and me are paranoid or crazy till something bad happens and its too late to teach or train. Let us not kid ourselves, if we can't defend it, it's just a matter of time till someone finds us looking for a handout or want to take it all. Be honest and realistic and answer with real world problems, not idealistic, perfect situations that are far from any emergency or worst situation we may face.

Out!
unventedanger
Washington Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:38 pm

There is no certain age. A seventy year old can take out a twenty year old, just as easily as the reverse given the right motivation, opportunity, weapons or skills. Survival is not arm wrestling contest, it is about making the most with what you have.

Getting older is why I have a retreat and follow the gray man method. Having the home field and no intention of playing fair may be enough. First try to avoid a problem and then be willing to do ANYTHING to overcome it if necessary. Failure is not an option. Swamp

As grandpa said: Never corner anything meaner than you! Age has not improved my disposition! Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby arkieready » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:52 am

Guess I don't understand the question.
Why would I quit? Because I might fail? Or even likely fail? Not a good enough reason to just roll over. If/when shtf, a lot of preppers will "fail", a lot will succeed.
We all get to die in this life. I prefer to die trying than die quitting. Or put another way, fail at trying than succeed at quitting. Can't take it with me anyway. I hope I leave a bit to my kids, but if I don't, they are where I started out. With nothing.
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready
Arkansas Preppers Network

Postby daaswampman » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:56 pm

arkieready wrote:Guess I don't understand the question.
Why would I quit? Because I might fail? Or even likely fail? Not a good enough reason to just roll over. If/when shtf, a lot of preppers will "fail", a lot will succeed.
We all get to die in this life. I prefer to die trying than die quitting. Or put another way, fail at trying than succeed at quitting. Can't take it with me anyway. I hope I leave a bit to my kids, but if I don't, they are where I started out. With nothing.

I agree, I can't see a time to just give up. I will say that my efforts have slowly shifted priorities. That is not so much due to age, but getting realistic and gaining experience.

My bug out bag has become a get there bag as I have no plans of being a refugee. That is not about getting older, but getting smarter. Sometimes I think all the bs comes from those with something to sell and not from anyone with actual experience.

My favorite is the 72 hour bag! Where did that magic number come from and what is your plan at 73 hours? A place to go and caches along the way makes more sense. Can't do that, getting busy and changing that is a better plan than being a refugee with a daypack. Excuses are always easier than actions. Swamp
daaswampman

Postby arkieready » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:20 pm

Even a 100 year old person has to DO something when the wake up everyday. Barring physical restrictions, for those without the means to react to stimuli. Wake up and stare at the tube? Or try to do something productive. Even if it takes all day to do a bit. It beats total lassitude. I think too many elders are depressed due to nothing to accomplish. "Easy life" in a retirement village, or the oldster who still gardens happily, albeit slowly. I'd weed the garden til I can't get out there anymore .
P!

Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.

--Robert Frost--
arkieready

Postby keebler » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:21 am

I, being right at 73, enjoy the "being prepared" life style, watching the weather on TV at night & seeing all the horrible flooding & Tornado's upsetting many lives, locally just 2 weeks ago Tornado destroyed over 20+ homes 6 miles away.it could have been me as well. I feel NO one should stop Being prepped. till your carted away. what you had can be donated to people in need. What a great way to be remembered.
my 2 cents.
Keebler.
retired,solar,camper,rural living.
keebler

Postby IceFire » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:33 am

arkieready wrote:Even a 100 year old person has to DO something when the wake up everyday. Barring physical restrictions, for those without the means to react to stimuli. Wake up and stare at the tube? Or try to do something productive. Even if it takes all day to do a bit. It beats total lassitude. I think too many elders are depressed due to nothing to accomplish. "Easy life" in a retirement village, or the oldster who still gardens happily, albeit slowly. I'd weed the garden til I can't get out there anymore .

Even at age 96, and almost crippled with arthritis and osteoporosis, my grandmother got out into her garden and worked every day, until she had to go into a nursing home (she kept falling and breaking bones). She lived to over 102, and those last 6 years, being unable to get out and DO something, were the hardest for her to tolerate.

My mother, now 91, STILL gets out and walks, gardens, volunteers, and drives to wherever she wants to go. It may take her a little longer than it used to, but she still DOES it.

I don't plan on it being any different for me. As long as I am physically able, I will be out there working, gardening, tending the animals, and working on my preps. To do any less is to give up, and my momma didn't raise no quitters!
"Guns are like shoes...a woman should have one in EVERY caliber!"
IceFire
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby daaswampman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:25 am

Last evening I took a neighbor to Walmart as our road had been closed for over three days and I have four wheel drive just in case. We have now gotten twenty one inches in five days ant it is still raining! He asked why I didn't buy anything and I told him i am prepared for storms and I didn't need anything.

With his buggy full, standing in a long line, and thinking how he will ever get his car out of a muddy road, he said: we need to talk about this! I guess I am not so weird now! Swamp
daaswampman

Postby unventedanger » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:17 pm

Mar. 13, Everytime we lose power and I turn on my generator ( like yesterday ) my next door neighbor tells me " I need to get one of those ". Of course he never does. We only lose power for a few hours or a day at best, but it gives me the opportunity to test it and burn a little old gas out of it. My other neighbor calls me farmer brown, because of all the fruit and vegetable I grow. He says he gonna start a garden every year, I have even given him seeds and starts. I think they still on his deck or at least the pots are from 2014. Sometimes you can teach a man to fish. Sounds like you have a good deal going.

Out
unventedanger

Postby Lifelong Survivalist » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:20 am

Well here's a new reply to that question. Activity and Stuff: when your body has worn out and you're no longer physically able to. Reading/Mentally/Thinking: when your mind and memory goes. If and or when you go blind. Spiritually: Never Or just plain old... when I kick the Bucket. If and when one goes to an assisted living facility or a Nursing Home. that's it for me. :-)
UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL :-)
Lifelong Survivalist

Postby Senah » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:53 am

I think at some point, a lot of being prepared for whatever event could happen has also transitioned in my life to being better prepared to face each day. We moved to MT and have been learning skills and making more out of our lives, becoming more self-sufficient each week that passes. In terms of the months and years as we look back, we are getting to a point (even in our "young" lives) where we can say we have lived more capably and gotten more out of our days than we would have had we not had this independent mindset. I look back at posts on APN from over 5 years ago, and the amount of knowledge I have gained from friends here and shared is incredible.

Yes, we will have more skills and be more prepared should something happen. But in the small events of life, and in the day to day trials and travails - we are able to grow our own food, hunt for our own meat, make our own ammunition, repair our own home and teach others skills they need, and assist family and friends with advice in general, among other things. I know the plants to forage and can make medicines from the hillsides of Montana, so that I wouldn't lose my ability to practice medicine if the environment changed. We have gotten to a point where we are much more free from the demands of modern society that weigh you down both financially and emotionally. That said, there is so much more to learn.

So, I don't think you should ever stop "prepping" as such, because the benefits you reap in your day to day life change things for the better. IMHO.
Senah

Learn everything you can, anytime you can, from anyone you can - there will always come a time when you will be grateful you did. ~ Sarah Caldwell
Senah
Montana Preppers Network
Montana Preppers Network

Previous

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather