• Advertisement

What are the realistic threats I should be concerned about??

Post General Washington Topics here

Moderator: MrDanB

Re: What are the realistic threats I should be concerned abo

Postby Staying Alive Comedy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:44 pm

Cast Iron wrote:New threat to consider: The Internet of Things.
Is your fridge a smart fridge, connected to the internet? The thermostat? Garage door opener?

You bring up a very good point. Because of this reason I've never been huge fan of a lot of "smart-home" / "home automation" tools. The thermostat isn't a problem for me as long as you also have a manual control, but things like locks and other security things operating on the internet give me the heebie jeebies.

Have a peek at what we are doing here:
Staying Alive Comedy

Postby daaswampman » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Cast Iron wrote:New threat to consider: The Internet of Things.
Is your fridge a smart fridge, connected to the internet? The thermostat? Garage door opener?

Good point and something I never really thought about!!! Three cars, home security system, television, phones, electric hookup, back up generator, thermostat, wireless video system, and ??? What really sucks is I don't even consider myself that connected, although my car just texted me it scheduled service for January forth! It sort of creeps up on you. Swamp
People rarely notice what it right in front of their eyes. The Da Vinci Code
daaswampman
Louisiana Preppers Network
Louisiana Preppers Network

Postby Gunns » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:51 am

I have to think on this one out loud.

After the election which leads to violence in the cities, which leads to a crack down by the gov, which leads to even more violence, then the cyber attacks, then the emp attack (by the gov), then the start of civil war, then the new man made pandemic, then the earth quakes, then Yellowstone blowing its top, then Putin and Obozo exchange nukes I guess the biggest concern would be "do I have enough booze to enjoy the party".
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby sageprice » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:56 pm

woodchipper518 wrote:To answer the question posed succinctly, I am concerned about the following:
Job loss
Loss of Spouse or child/ren or all three
Tornado(es)
Grid Down - any scenario leading to this is not good. Some are quick and drastic, some may give some lead time.
Pandemic - most likely MERS or Avian Flu
Financial collapse / civil unrest
Zombies - nope!
Rapture - I'm a believer.

I am least prepared for a pandemic but most of what I do for any scenario helps every scenario. I cannot afford a gross of hazmat suits...but I can certainly invest in plastic rolls and duct tape to create a transmission barrier. I am seriously lacking a supply of antibiotics, antivirals, etc...maybe I can bring those back from MX next month. Zombies give me reason to buy more guns and ammo...but I think the LOML is starting to catch on to this excuse. Pretty much everything is improved with water, food, water, food, etc.

Before you place to much stock in medicine you should read the research in Biden tinctures and Poke weed. These are underused in the modern world. Still they are self replenishing and edible. Save the antibiotics for thing that the herbs can't handle. Overuse of drugs got us super bugs and virus. lets not go down that road again.
sageprice
Maryland Preppers Network
Maryland Preppers Network

Postby LeeLynn » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:05 pm

Gunns wrote:I have to think on this one out loud.

After the election which leads to violence in the cities, which leads to a crack down by the gov, which leads to even more violence, then the cyber attacks, then the emp attack (by the gov), then the start of civil war, then the new man made pandemic, then the earth quakes, then Yellowstone blowing its top, then Putin and Obozo exchange nukes I guess the biggest concern would be "do I have enough booze to enjoy the party".

That made me laugh out loud. Good one.

For me it's grid down.
Civil unrest.
More government.
LeeLynn

Postby Gunns » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:37 am

LeeLynn wrote:
Gunns wrote:I have to think on this one out loud.

That made me laugh out loud. Good one.

For me it's grid down.
Civil unrest.
More government.

Ya pretty much what you said is what I think too.
Gunns
Texas Preppers Network
Texas Preppers Network

Postby Cajun68 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:50 pm

I had a heart attack that lead to a 4bipass. Didn't get a paycheck for 3 months but did not need to go to the store because of stored food. A guy at work has a bad sick kid. He is one of the lower paid people at the company. Last year I bought 13 or 14 hams at 50 cents per lbs, the same with turkey. I know he is on food stamps. I have been giving him one or the other every 2 weeks sense I went back to work. His wife told me it the only meat they eat. I bought my freezer for 100$ at a garage sale. These things fed me when I was off work and are feeding my friend. 7 dollars for a 14lbs ham or 15 dollars for a 30 lbs turkey. Easy to help at that price. Bye the way it's sale time again so get out there and stacked deep.
Cajun68

Postby theoutback » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:11 am

Liberalism...and to add to NJMike's list. Weather, and as Cajun wrote, traumatic injury. A few years back I was out of work from a bad fall for a couple months. Preps sure came in handy when money was tight.
theoutback

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:18 am

Ok Shawn, after all these answers, I'm sure you see the pattern. On a grand scale, the biggest and most realistic threat to prepare for is very simple, it people. No matter what the spark, its the response and reaction of the unprepared portion of the population that you must deal with and prepare for. On a micro scale, its the lack of income / financial resources. Be it job loss, injury, illness, or a host of other things. An how ready are you to do for yourself and family completely on your own.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963
Michigan Preppers Network

Postby RayMac1963 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:18 am

Ok Shawn, after all these answers, I'm sure you see the pattern. On a grand scale, the biggest and most realistic threat to prepare for is very simple, it people. No matter what the spark, its the response and reaction of the unprepared portion of the population that you must deal with and prepare for. On a micro scale, its the lack of income / financial resources. Be it job loss, injury, illness, or a host of other things. An how ready are you to do for yourself and family completely on your own.
I can't help but think God is up there right now saying "its time to shake the ol' Etch-A-Sketch and restart humanity again".

My Blog---> http://urbanprepperdiary.blogspot.com
RayMac1963

Postby idahobeef » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:31 am

Gangs and hungry food mobs! This is getting more and more of my attention, EEK!
idahobeef

Previous

Return to Washington Discussion, News and Weather